IMR - R1 Thread
Oct 28, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #1,291 of 3,190
Funny, I love the R1 with lightly-sealed Symbio W tips - the exact opposite of triple-flange! The wonders of tip rolling.

As to bass, I’m not hearing it the same. In fact, I wanted to comment on that in this thread. The bass is so physical, when I listen to these in bed, a couple of times I was afraid of waking up my wife because I thought the bed was rumbling. I kid not, this is how amazing the bass feels for me with the black filters on.

That gave me an idea, thanks! I took the foam out of my symbios and stuck them into the triple flange. Even bassier now lol! Yeah, I totally understand about the shaking bass. It almost makes me feel like a kid driving around with 12 inch subs blasting. I even found some old rap songs I used to enjoy even though it's mostly classic rock for me these days. These are really great once you figure out the setup.

Oct 31, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #1,292 of 3,190
So - I just received my balanced cable from Bob.

I like it - much nicer than the stock cable.

Do I put the coloured dot towards my head or facing away? Guess it's important for polarity....

At least I am now using the R1 again, after playing around with my JVC HA-FW1 for some time - I forgot how amazing the R1 is. L.o.v.e.l.y. to listen to my tunes with it now balanced out of the ES100 at work.Shall give the R1 the Liquid Carbon balanced treatment at home :)

Cheers.

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #1,294 of 3,190
Hi guys, this is my review of the R1, for some light reading heh.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/imr-acoustics-r1.22682/reviews#review-21124

R1-05.jpg

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #1,295 of 3,190
Do y'all believe there is any difference between the most of the filters on these? The pink and brass (aka copper for some reason) has a foam insert while the orange (the one with the actual copper color) has a cloth mesh on the lower part. The blue and black have no filter besides the standard metal mesh. So, technically, the black and blue SHOULD sound the same. The metal filters don't have different bore sizes. The brass and pink sound a bit more bassy due to the foam and the orange sounds somewhat more muffled because of the cloth mesh. I noticed that you can achieve some sound variations with a bit of foam (packing foam with the same density as what came in the filters) by using half of what the pink and copper filters use. Unfortunately, you can't increase the amount foam that came with the copper or pink without sounding extremely muffled and actually produced less bass. It was fun experimenting a bit and used the pink foam filters for my Fiio FH5 and got quite a bit more bass as a result. Might be worth playing around with for those with some free time.

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #1,296 of 3,190
Do y'all believe there is any difference between the most of the filters on these? The pink and brass (aka copper for some reason) has a foam insert while the orange (the one with the actual copper color) has a cloth mesh on the lower part. The blue and black have no filter besides the standard metal mesh. So, technically, the black and blue SHOULD sound the same. The metal filters don't have different bore sizes. The brass and pink sound a bit more bassy due to the foam and the orange sounds somewhat more muffled because of the cloth mesh. I noticed that you can achieve some sound variations with a bit of foam (packing foam with the same density as what came in the filters) by using half of what the pink and copper filters use. Unfortunately, you can't increase the amount foam that came with the copper or pink without sounding extremely muffled and actually produced less bass. It was fun experimenting a bit and used the pink foam filters for my Fiio FH5 and got quite a bit more bass as a result. Might be worth playing around with for those with some free time.

There are small differences, such as the blue filter having a small hole while black is solid with none. I can defintely hear the difference between say black - pink - blue...

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #1,297 of 3,190
Youll go too pink and black for a while .... But when that rush fades(and it will) youll go back too stay with the little blue booger.

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #1,298 of 3,190
Nov 6, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #1,299 of 3,190
20181106_000744.jpg 20181106_010351.jpg 20181106_010353.jpg
There are small differences, such as the blue filter having a small hole while black is solid with none. I can defintely hear the difference between say black - pink - blue...

Where is this hole? Maybe I'm blind lol!

Also, I decided to do my own mirror finish since the cost was 100 pounds to add that. I used a Dremel Tool with the polishing pads and Brasso metal polish. Took about 2 hrs including clean up and looks almost as good as the ones people have posted on reviews. Really easy if you have the right tools.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #1,300 of 3,190

Where is this hole? Maybe I'm blind lol!

Also, I decided to do my own mirror finish since the cost was 100 pounds to add that. I used a Dremel Tool with the polishing pads and Brasso metal polish. Took about 2 hrs including clean up and looks almost as good as the ones people have posted on reviews. Really easy if you have the right tools.

Here, you can see the small holes in the pink and copper filters, they should always be uncovered so your tips shouldn't go all the way over the filter tube
DSCF9593.JPG DSCF9594.JPG

Nov 7, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #1,301 of 3,190
Here, you can see the small holes in the pink and copper filters, they should always be uncovered so your tips shouldn't go all the way over the filter tube

Yeah, I went back to look at those. That actually makes sense because otherwise many of the filters are exactly the same.

Am I the only one who polished their R1s? The front plate was easy to do since they are removable while the back was a bit more difficult.
I honestly thought people would be excited about it lol! Either way, it's easier to do than you'd think and cheaper than sending them back to Bob.

Nov 10, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #1,302 of 3,190
Has anyone directly compared these to the Campfire Jupiter? I just sold off my desktop rig and am looking to "step-up" my IEM game. I'm pretty impressed with the R1's and jump back and forth between preferring the copper and pink filters. I like the smoothness that the copper offers but can sometimes feel the bass is a bit overpowering.

Nov 18, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #1,304 of 3,190
Has anyone attempted to convert these to mmcx connections yet? I have the adapters but the protrude out too far even after shaving them down. So I decided tonight to convert the 2 pins and remove and replace them completely. The iem shell is a bit too narrow so I'm shaving it down to retrofit the mmcx. I've soldered quite a bit in my days so this won't be an issue. So far, I've shaved the aluminum enough to fit and have to solder the mmcx wires. 20181118_005950.jpg What are you guys thoughts and has anyone attempted this before lol?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back