IMR - R1 Thread
Sep 15, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #1,201 of 3,190
Bob replied to my enquiry about the balanced cable and the upgrade it brings; turns out he would rather not comment on that as he deems it too subjective. Sound thinking actually.

Very true. The difference between balanced and single ended on the same player is often down to the implementation of the internal components as much as anything - seems most DAPs are designed to work best in either SE or balanced, not both.

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #1,202 of 3,190
Anyone here using their IMR R1 with chord mojo or ifi nano? Hows the SQ?

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #1,203 of 3,190
Very true. The difference between balanced and single ended on the same player is often down to the implementation of the internal components as much as anything - seems most DAPs are designed to work best in either SE or balanced, not both.
I would like to piggyback on that. Two of the AK players, 100II & 120II, I had offered negligible differences to my ears. The QP2R for example really excels at the balanced output and the SE is great but doesn't necessarily power those tough to drive items like the balanced output does. I have read that the Sony 4.4mm output is super also, but I can't verify as I don't have any Sony's.

Sep 16, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #1,204 of 3,190
Damn, we have all the same ideas :grin:
I went and auditioned both recently. So not a long-term user; others with more ear time on both will chime in I’m sure.
I didn’t bring the IMR as I didn’t know them enough, rather my long-standing favorite headphones, the Final Audio Pandora Hope VI. My impressions are relevant nonetheless because the R1 are the closest thing I’ve heard to an iem version of the PHVI: huge dynamics, physical presence, fullness throughout the frequency range, surprising soundstage.

The Nano BL was recommended to me by the (very knowledgeable) guy behind the counter instead of the xDSD, he felt both were of similar quality, with the xDSD costing much more on account of the Bluetooth implementation. I didn’t get to test the xDSD anyway because the demo model had a bug and was stuck in line-out mode, which did not inspire the most confidence.

I first compared the Nano BL with the Micro BL. The Micro BL impressed, with remarkable retrieval capabilities, control, and a very pure, raw sound. But it once again left me with the impression of something a bit clangy, not the most pleasant thing to listen to in spite of its obvious technical ability. It could pair well with the IMR R1, and sustain its energetic drive and depth of detail.

The Nano BL was spikier in the treble, warmer in the low-end, more fun maybe but also much less interesting and not terribly resolving. It’s in line with the usual $200 improvement on computer or phone dac/amps. Not bad, but not in the same league as the R1. I like my Sony PHA-1A better, it’s more refined.

The Mojo was the clear winner for me. I’m strongly considering getting it. The same detail as the Micro, but presented like music instead of just sound, to put it harshly. Melodic transitions in a metal song sound like compressed energy suddenly exploding into blasting riffs, stereo imaging is incredibly precise, the amount of warmth is just perfect, treble brightness and sibilance are tamed... Perfect for metal, hip-hop, but also indie folk rock, average recordings of old-school jazz as well as carefully-mastered classical pieces. I can’t wait to give it a spin with the R1, I’m expecting sparks - detail, power, fullness...

I feel the IMR need an excellent DAC and can do with just very good amplification. The Mojo gives exactly that.

As an aside, the iFi devices are for tinkerers. XBass, 3D effect, 3 gain settings x 3 sensitivity settings, filters... If you like to change filters a lot on the IMR that could appeal to you. Personally I found it overwhelming. The Mojo dispenses with it and just sounds at its best constantly.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #1,205 of 3,190

I am using the R1 with Chord Mojo. I am very happy with the sound!! I also have the Ifi Nano but in my opninion the Mojo is way better

Good detail, image and the music sounds so natural… For jazz, rock and classical (especially violins and piano) sounds so real and I am discovering nuances and details I never listened before as the sound is also clear.

Using it with a MacBook Air + Tidal Hifi and sometimes Amarra Luxe 4

In my opinion a very good match!!

Still looking for the perfect tips, as I found it is crucial for the best sound. Tried Comply T-600 with good results but still not the perfect ones (perhaps I will try Spiral Dots soon).

I like the black foam tips included in the box, does somebody know which brand/model are and where can I buy it?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #1,206 of 3,190
I auditioned the Mojo last night. It sounds thicker and fuller compared to my XDP-300R dap(only tried it with the black filter because i forgot to bring the other filters). I’ll definitely buy one soon.

The store owner tried my IMR R1 and hes so impressed how big the soundstage is . He said its wider than his Andromeda, but lacking micro details.

Jm7gNRc.jpg

Sep 18, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #1,207 of 3,190
Nice cable, I am looking for customizing my R1 with tips and a new cable, I've seen different options and I would need some help...

Do you recommend a cable? 6 / 8 /16 cores? Does it affect (in positive or negative) to the sound? wich supplier?

Wich tips are you using? I like the black foam ones included in the original box (somebody knows the brand/model?)... perhaps Spiral Dots or Comply are a good option?

Many thanks!

Sep 19, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #1,209 of 3,190
Nice cable, I am looking for customizing my R1 with tips and a new cable, I've seen different options and I would need some help...

Do you recommend a cable? 6 / 8 /16 cores? Does it affect (in positive or negative) to the sound? wich supplier?

Wich tips are you using? I like the black foam ones included in the original box (somebody knows the brand/model?)... perhaps Spiral Dots or Comply are a good option?

Many thanks!

*WARNING: Wall of Text*

I am using Nocturnal Acrux Pure Silver 4-Cores balanced cable. I chose pure silver to make my IMR R1 more airy and make the mids more forward. The sound improvement is very minimal though but it sounds louder compared to stock cables. I have also tried 8-core copper cables but it made the sound signature more warmer and thicker which is not my preference, tried a 4 core copper and its just alright the little warmth it adds doesnt affect the SQ much. Very very minimal. Same when I tried SPC cables(4-core). Doesnt add any sound improvement but it sounds louder. Based on my tests(for me) 4 core cables are better for IMR R1 to retain its sound signature unless you want it to sound thick then go for 6-8 core cables. Theyre heavy as well. Btw all the cables that i have tried and mentioned are all balanced 2.5mm cables.

The Balanced SPC cable 2.5mm cheap cable that i’ve tried costs $30 while the pure silver cable I use(nocturnal audio acrux) costs $120. Is it worth it? The sound improvement the IMR R1 got from the $120 cable is only around 10% i wont even go as far as 20%. The upgrade from SE to Balanced is worth it though. Really noticeable difference.

With regards to tips, i can recommend the ones Ive used:

JVC Spiral Dot = really comfortable and the best sound ive tried but not really good at sound isolation.

Symbio W = adds a little punch on the bass, really good sound isolation, but hurts my ears after 1 hour of listening time

Symbio N = makes the sound a little warmer, good sound isolation, hurts my ears as well but not as worse as Symbio W(it seem to be bigger given the same size)

Acoustune AET08 = adds more punch in the bass, everything else just like the JVC Spiral Dot but with lesser comfort

Acoustune AET07 = very similar to the JVC Spiral Dot but with lesser comfort

Comply T400 foam tips (this is the round shape version) = top notch sound isolation, really full sound, but makes my ear warm after an hour of listening

To be honest, based on my experience, tip rolling gives better improvement to the sound compared to cable rolling. The irony that its cheaper than cables

VaC0nai.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #1,210 of 3,190
I've had problems with my order ever since I received it in mid august, but so far Bob has been very diligent in making sure things were straightened out. I just wish that it hadn't happened the way it has, because I haven't been able to enjoy these IEMs the way I want it to. I'll recount my tale in case anyone was a little reticent to deal with IMR and their customer service:
  • Received my order in mid august. The threads on the left IEM were a bit iffy right out of the gate, still used it for a few days (wasn't really changing filters at all, since I knew I wanted to focus on pink ones). Two days later, the left filter came loose and there was no way to tighten it.
  • Contacted IMR and Bob issued a replacement unit that same day.
  • Received it a little over a week ago, and while the new left monitor "works" with a mobile source just fine, it seems overly sensitive. I plugged it on my Arcam rHead amp and it starts hissing. The original left monitor and right one do not exhibit this behavior.
  • Contacted IMR again and, after some back and forth testing sources and cables, Bob issued a second replacement.
It has been regrettable that I haven't been able to enjoy my purchase the way I had hoped, but I can't deny that at least his response time to issues speaks well that he seems to care about his customers. If this tale ends up with a happy ending, then I'd be more than glad to recommend IMR to others and maybe look into an R2 or R3 down the line for myself.

Sep 23, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #1,212 of 3,190
Does anybody know if the R1 works well with the new Massdrop x Mee audio 2pin balanced cable set? The cable has angled connectors and i don't know if these fit perfectly when i want to hook these around my ears. Does anyone have a cable with angled connectors? I want to order one, if the works for the R1. But the way. Does anyone need the same cable with mmcx connectors? Thanks to the R1, i don't need these anymore. I would sell these for 50 bucks in a as new condition.

Sep 23, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #1,213 of 3,190
Does anybody know if the R1 works well with the new Massdrop x Mee audio 2pin balanced cable set? The cable has angled connectors and i don't know if these fit perfectly when i want to hook these around my ears. Does anyone have a cable with angled connectors? I want to order one, if the works for the R1. But the way. Does anyone need the same cable with mmcx connectors? Thanks to the R1, i don't need these anymore. I would sell these for 50 bucks in a as new condition.
I also want to know this, looking for replacement cables - stock are kind of bulky. The massdrop ones ending soon :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back