IMR - R1 Thread
May 28, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #679 of 3,190
I just grabbed this cable from Null Audio.. can't wait to get it! Hopefully will make them even better in sound and comfort.

That cable looks really nice! Which earphone brand did you select from the drop-down customisation menu?
Or did you contact them to ask them specifically for R1?
And did the cable come with any memory wire or ear hooks or anything? I'm hoping to get one without any of those (that's light and flexible enough to just drape back over the top of my ears) :)

I actually have an old OFC silver plated copper cable that is 2.5mm balanced. Got it from Trinity Audio back in the day and it turns out it actually fits the R1 ok :)

May 28, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #680 of 3,190
Been listening a little bit to my new R1 today.
Still burning it in though. So far, I'm happy.
I was a bit worried about highs being too sharp for me (I'm slightly treble-sensitive), but haven't had any issues at all so far.
I did with some of Bob's previous designs when he was at Trinity, but no such issues here :)

I started out with the black filters that were on the R1 when I received it.
Not bad, but I found the bass a bit too heavy, such that it unbalanced the overall signature a bit for my liking.
Again, this may change after burn-in etc.
Took a chance and put the blue filters in. Enjoyable! I'm getting a pretty big soundstage, decent separation, a good amount of detail but with a welcome dose of musicality.
Don't want to say too much or wax lyrical at this early stage, but am not regretting my purchase thus far!
Looking forward to A/B testing them against my iBasso IT03, which I have a lot of love for (see review in my signature for more lol) :)

May 29, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #681 of 3,190
That cable looks really nice! Which earphone brand did you select from the drop-down customisation menu?
Or did you contact them to ask them specifically for R1?
And did the cable come with any memory wire or ear hooks or anything? I'm hoping to get one without any of those (that's light and flexible enough to just drape back over the top of my ears) :)

I actually have an old OFC silver plated copper cable that is 2.5mm balanced. Got it from Trinity Audio back in the day and it turns out it actually fits the R1 ok :)

I did get in contact with them and they told me to use the Westone/Noble/Jerry Harvey 2 Pin option. I don't know if the cable with come with any memory wire or ear hooks.. didn't mention that, think that it may just be the cable itself.

I'm hopeful that it will be nice and light and comfortable behind the ears also! Reading the comments on that cable, seems that people are very happy with it, so I guess we'll see.

I'm a bit disappointed that I couldn't get it with a remote.. think that would be very handy, but if it becomes an issue, I'll just grab another I guess.

May 30, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #682 of 3,190
I have a question for those here in the R1 thread. I'm mainly around in the FlaresPro/FlaresGold thread, as the FlaresGold is my favorite iem to date, though I've never tried the R1. Actually I didn't know it existed until I saw the header link to a review for it on the main page.

When I read about the detailed mids, I became very interested in it knowing how few dd driver iems are mostly V-shaped. I vastly prefer dd drivers vs ba drivers, but I don't like recessed mids/vocals. Nor do I like heavy bass. The bass I've seen from the frequency response graph looks like it might be slightly above neutral, but not necessarily heavy. I don't really want to go above neutral, and so long as the mids don't get recessed past what I see in the fr graph while using the filter with the least bass, the R1 might be a good choice for me, if there is a filter which reduces bass while allowing for the best detailed mids.

This is the fr graph I'm referring to :

images (2).png

May 30, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #683 of 3,190
Yikes, this is super specific @Arysyn. For me the R1's bass is what makes it so special. The bass and the separation. Imaging and Soundstage out of these things is bonkers. It's a lot but I suggest you read through this thread from the beginning. My guess is that you can probably use the Blue filters and EQ them to your liking. Bob, the engineer of these lil' wonders, likes the blue best himself. The most neutral filter that these come with. I'm a Pink guy myself

May 31, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #684 of 3,190
I finally received my replacement pair of the IMR R1's, and wow, Driver Matching is very excellent now... I'm happy!
Now, compared directly to my already burned in R1's, you can hear that the treble takes the focus on the new pair, it also just sounds a bit metallic and not as smooth as the already burned in R1's. The ceramic driver deserves the burn-in they deserve, but for now, I'll still listen to music through the new pair since everything is just a lot more centered now with the better Driver Matching and they still sound fantastic OOTB! :)
Cheers
Demian

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #687 of 3,190
I was kind of palying around and a/b-ing. Listening to my other iems : bgvp dm5 - 65$ and whizzer a15 which cost me 25$. And i was like, yea, they also "sound" also make "music". For what they cost they are solid options. Having 2nd thoughts of maybe lets sell R1 and have the money for other toys. But WHEN you put R1s after some other iems, holy cow ... Your forget about how much they cost, forget that other iems even exist.

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #688 of 3,190
I had a periodic be that cost 300$, returned it found rather boring/too smooth, bought used MusicMaker Ting(70$ new) earbuds for 35$ and they are 100% more enjoyable/superior in everything but bass quantity. Clearly it's all about what sound signature you prefer. With that being said just bought a mint used t8ie mk2 and don't expect the Ting too stand a chance but will see, never know.

Jun 1, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #689 of 3,190
Every morning I put them into my ears, and every morning I'm amazed by their sound quality...

I hope this is not off-topic or something, but these are currently on the way to me:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/T8-T...93ff-4aa4-a089-1576493f04e0&priceBeautifyAB=0

I cannot wait to make a direct comparison to the R1's. These are a full BA IEM, and the R1 is a full DD IEM so that will be interesting!

To be honest, so far I'm somewhat skeptical that these may be even close as good, but let's see. :) They seem to, at least judging by the description, have a rather mid-forward signature, so maybe they'll complement each other!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back