IMR - R1 Thread
May 25, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #647 of 3,190
I finally want to hear some of your opinions on this, this has been plaguing me daily ever since I received the IMR R1's and even before I was worrying about this.

What I'm talking about is, are the IMR R1's actually vented enough with the ports open, so that the Bass, or the sound in general, doesn't cause pressure inside the ear? I've heard some reports of nausea or generally being uncomfortable when an IEM is not vented enough, so do you guys have any opinion on this? Is my fear exaggerated? Do you experience any pressure with the IMR R1? I'm actually quite unsure if the R1's cause pressure or if its just air movement which is completely harmless at lower listening levels.

Hope to receive some feedback from you guys! :)

One thing you haven't mentioned is what filter you're using? Many of the filters have a laser-cut hole that vents the bass so there won't be a build up of pressure.
With that, plus the 'open' setting, you're unlikely to feel any unnatural pressure build up. I've never experienced any with mine and I use the pink filters and the foam tips.

May 25, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #648 of 3,190
One thing you haven't mentioned is what filter you're using? Many of the filters have a laser-cut hole that vents the bass so there won't be a build up of pressure.
With that, plus the 'open' setting, you're unlikely to feel any unnatural pressure build up. I've never experienced any with mine and I use the pink filters and the foam tips.

Yes, that is what I mentioned as well, I only use the filters which have the little hole, it somehow makes the treble more airy and the bass doesn't feel overpowering. I wouldn't use the filters without the holes since I'd become paranoid that they would produce too much pressure. :D

May 25, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #649 of 3,190
I, again, truly appreciate your reply. =) I really like your friendly, easygoing and assuring way of writing about this topic, it does help!

Hey, you're most welcome and thanks for the compliment :)

May 25, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #650 of 3,190
Hi guys, Im about to pull the plug on buying a JVC spiral dots but unfortunately im really confused with the sizing they have small and MS and M size, large is obviously not my size, so can someone help me is this a good buy?? and with comply my size is small, with spin tips my size is medium the red one, the purple is too small for me as I can hear outside noises, please be adivsed. and does balanced cable really improve the sound of imr r1 significantly?? Im thinking of getting DAP

Hi, I've never tried Spiral dots so I can't answer that.
But I'd recommend Symbio MandarinE tips. They're a hybrid tip with memory foam bonded to the inside of a silicone outer. They come in standard or wide bore, and for me, give the best sound of any tip I've tried. Mind you, this will no doubt vary depending on source, IEM and so on.

Regarding balanced, I'm not sure how much you know, so please forgive me if I come across as explaining stuff that's elementary to you lol.
I'm not an expert either, but here's my answer to your question in, ahem, Layman's terms :wink:
Having a balanced cable in itself is meaningless, unless you're plugging it into a balanced socket on a balanced source.
If not, then (assuming you use a balanced to single-ended adaptor), then it's just a question of the quality of the cable.

Now single-ended vs balanced seems to be a mildly contentious topic on here.
My take on it, based on reading around on here, is that really it's not that balanced is necessarily better.
It's more to do with how skilfully it's implemented by the designer/engineer building the DAP.
Mojo has rave reviews and is single ended. So is the excellent Shozy Alien+ DAP.
However, a general trend seems to be that in a device where there are both balanced AND single-ended outputs, the balanced one sounds better.
So if you're looking for a DAP, I could recommend the iBasso DX150 or DX200 (depending on budget).
They each come with an AMP unit which has both balanced and single-ended (and I've found I could actually use both at the same time, to let someone else listen on another set of IEM's simultaneously!).
Balanced on both sounds better. Interestingly, the AMP units can also be changed; they have others for sale (single-ended, balanced, 4.4mm balanced), all with different sound signatures, so you can experiment and find out which suits you.
I believe Fiio also offer this, but I haven't tried theirs so I can't comment personally, and I don't know if their default AMP units offer both single ended and balanced in the same unit?

May 25, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #651 of 3,190
Hi guys, Im about to pull the plug on buying a JVC spiral dots but unfortunately im really confused with the sizing they have small and MS and M size, large is obviously not my size, so can someone help me is this a good buy?? and with comply my size is small, with spin tips my size is medium the red one, the purple is too small for me as I can hear outside noises, please be adivsed. and does balanced cable really improve the sound of imr r1 significantly?? Im thinking of getting DAP
Look at my post few pages back , regarding IEM tips and sizes. Might give you an idea of what to look for. Page 40.

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #652 of 3,190
I finally want to hear some of your opinions on this, this has been plaguing me daily ever since I received the IMR R1's and even before I was worrying about this.

What I'm talking about is, are the IMR R1's actually vented enough with the ports open, so that the Bass, or the sound in general, doesn't cause pressure inside the ear? I've heard some reports of nausea or generally being uncomfortable when an IEM is not vented enough, so do you guys have any opinion on this? Is my fear exaggerated? Do you experience any pressure with the IMR R1? I'm actually quite unsure if the R1's cause pressure or if its just air movement which is completely harmless at lower listening levels.

Hope to receive some feedback from you guys! :)
My IMR R1 sessions do leave me with a lingering sensation for the rest of the day and sometimes day after when not using them again, that feeling would repeat and stay if I do use them each day. It's not tinnitus flare, it's not a sound hum, it's as if my ears vibrate at micro level. The right one more so. I notice it when I'm idle. Not discomforting per say. I just notice it. Thing is, I enjoy the bass and the open sound these output too much to stop using them. I use the AFO for smooth easy sessions, but man are these R1 something else... Pink filters with fully clear Final E type pushed in all the way to second bend, the bass moves my back jaw bone and throat or something. And listening to Stockades' Stockade EP on that setup on the WM1A direct sound on is pure bliss
australian post-hardcore with jazzy vibes at times

May 26, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #654 of 3,190
Coming back to the talk on tips a few pages back, I ended up grabbing size M SpinFits, and although they fit pretty well in my right ear, the left is actually a bit smaller, and causes a pressure block on that side. I find I have to really adjust them alot, combined with the rigidity of the stock cable, is causing a fair bit of annoyance getting them to stay inserted properly, and causes other imbalances in the sound.

I went ahead and also grabbed a set of the Spiral Dot, but along with that am also looking into a cable from Null Audio.. question for those who own IEM cables, would it be better to get the cable with or without sheathing? Would the sheathing add too much extra tension over just the raw cable?

What really impresses me about the R1 so far is that they legit sound good with anything, on anything. Can I notice a difference in performance on my desktop system vs my phone? Of course.. but they truly seem to elevate whatever the source is so much more than you'd expect.
I feel like the B-Stock are the best kept secret in headphones right now.
I did go back and forth between Pink and Black filters a bit, but for Drum and Bass the Black just absolutely kill it. Bass is so rich, deep and extended, yet responds so well to fast sweeps both in frequency and timbre. Really such a pleasure to listen to.. sometimes I pause and really am just amazed at the kinda sound these can deliver.

May 26, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #656 of 3,190
Black w fully open port. Tried the copper ones , but the clarity wasnt there. Havent played around with the other ones, cause i like my low frequencies. And Spiral Dots in size M are a perfect tip on R1.

May 26, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #657 of 3,190
Pink, open with foam tips. Still great detail and plenty of low end, but slightly less top end. A much better match to my iSine 20s and Sennheiser HD6xx that way. Still like the blue filters though :wink:

May 26, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #658 of 3,190
Everyone who owns the IMR R1's, please tell my which filter(s) you're using and why! :) I'm very interested.

I'm currently using the Blue filters because they make the sound so fudging clear, even if the treble gets hot on some tracks, the clarity is insane.
I use black open with symbio mandarins most of the time though highs can get slightly hot. Tried pink and i liked but found i didnt get the sparkle up top that the blacks offered.
I use blue for jazz though sometimes i use black for jazz too which adds more bass to it.

Symbios tips represents the best sound out of the tips i tried but they do hurt my ears a little. Spin fits (large) seem to not sit right and if i push them in they start curling back, might have the wrong size though

May 26, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #659 of 3,190
Everyone who owns the IMR R1's, please tell my which filter(s) you're using and why! :) I'm very interested.

I'm currently using the Blue filters because they make the sound so fudging clear, even if the treble gets hot on some tracks, the clarity is insane.

I've settled on Pink filter, using JVC Spiral Dot tips.

I find the bass at the perfect level with Pink. Emphasized enough to get your head banging, but not so much as to make the vocals distant, like it did with Copper Filter.

Also, my biggest issue with the R1 is bright treble, and Pink is the best balance of highs and lows, to my ears.

But really, what does it matter why we prefer the filters we do? In the end, all that matters is which one you like best.

May 26, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #660 of 3,190
But really, what does it matter why we prefer the filters we do? In the end, all that matters is which one you like best.

I do.
Because I need other people to tell me what's best for me.
Otherwise I'd have to, you know, experiment for myself and stuff.
And who has time for that??
:wink:

Personally, reading other people's impressions motivates me to try filters I otherwise might not have bothered to try. Plus, I like impressions anyway (see point 1 lol) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back