IMR - R1 Thread
Dec 15, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #31 of 3,190
Not the most ergonomic design, and the 2 pin connector won't work with cables that have moulded ear hooks.

Could maybe someone post a photo of these in the ear please? Do they lay in the ears somehow unusual / uncomfortable?

EDIT. Oh well, couldn't resist with and placed the order :)

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #32 of 3,190
Could maybe someone post a photo of these in the ear please? Do they lay in the ears somehow unusual / uncomfortable?

EDIT. Oh well, couldn't resist with and placed the order :)

Not uncomfortable for me, they're shaped quite well. The cable that goes over the ear has a rather stubborn shape so you'll need to use the adjustment band thing. I plan to try out another cable at some point.

Dec 20, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #33 of 3,190
Not much going on in this thread these days eh? Lets change that a bit.

So my KZ Bluetooth cable arrived today, as expected it doesn't quite fit so I used a knife and clippers to cut the sheath around the 2 pin connector and have made a good fit, only took 5 minutes for both sides too! For those of you that don't know, KZ sell some cheap 2 pin Bluetooth cables that are supposed to be used with their IEMs but they can work with others, it has BT 4.2 so it's very snappy and apparently it also has Apt-X (I have no idea how to test this but it sounds fine to me).

Now if you're wondering why I'm using a cheap £4 cable on £500 IEMs (crazy right?), well, I placed an order for the PLUSSOUND Exo Bluetooth cable a few weeks back but wanted this to hold me off in the meantime. I'll probably snap a pic of that when I get them in a month or so.

Images for those curious, here's a picture of what it looks like:
R1 BT1.jpg
The trimmed 2 pin bluetooth cable next to the original cable:
R1 BT2.jpg

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #35 of 3,190
Just received a Shanling M3S for xmas today, sounds fantastic on the R1's. Such beauty, much wow. <3 Merry Christmas fellas

Dec 30, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #37 of 3,190
Testing mine since a week.
I have to say, that Bob is a fantastic guy to deal with - that's what I call great customer service.

Although the black filters are quite fun, they have a bit too much highs for me, so my favorite filter for now is the orange one.
And here's my question - do you think, the description on the page is correct?
  • Copper - Maximum bass, lush mids and slightly recessed highs
  • Orange - Balanced bass and mids with rolled off highs
To me it's definitely the other way around - orange have a lot more bass and copper rolled off highs (and they're a bit quiter).
But the colors are so similar (one darker, the other lighter), so maybe here's the confusion - I think that orange is the lighter one (my wife confirms and women know the colors :wink:).

Dec 30, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #38 of 3,190
Testing mine since a week.
I have to say, that Bob is a fantastic guy to deal with - that's what I call great customer service.

Although the black filters are quite fun, they have a bit too much highs for me, so my favorite filter for now is the orange one.
And here's my question - do you think, the description on the page is correct?
  • Copper - Maximum bass, lush mids and slightly recessed highs
  • Orange - Balanced bass and mids with rolled off highs
To me it's definitely the other way around - orange have a lot more bass and copper rolled off highs (and they're a bit quiter).
But the colors are so similar (one darker, the other lighter), so maybe here's the confusion - I think that orange is the lighter one (my wife confirms and women know the colors :wink:).

I'd say snap a picture of the filters and ask Bob in an e-mail, it does look like orange and gold to me though..

I've mainly been using the black filters but I've never really had any issues with highs, it is admittedly more than my PM4 with the gunmetal filter though.

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #39 of 3,190
I placed my order for the IMR-R1 on Tuesday afternoon, and it was delivered the other side of the Channel this (Thursday) morning. That is a real fast one!

First impressions are very good (I have almost exclusively listened to the Campfire Audio Andromeda over the last three months). Blue filters, silicone tips, they seem to be not as detail oriented as the Andro, but have an "organic" feel for them (music sounds very natural, less clinical). After a couple of hours, they do not seem neither worse nor better than the Andromeda, but quite complementary.

So far, I am not completely happy with the cable that is quite stiff, but I might "soften" with usage; any way, it is standard 2-pin, so after market cables could be used if necessary.

I know there are several of us on this thread who have acquired the R1, I'd love to read about how they feel about them.

For those who are reluctant because of The-Company-Whose-Name-Cannot-Be-Said, Bob told me IMR is 100% his company, and I have never had any issue dealing with him over the last 2.5 years; I even introduced him as a "no-nonsense person" on the Pono forum, and he never failed to prove he deserves this introduction.

I'll post further impression when I have more head time with them.

My very first impressions on the IMR-R1

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #41 of 3,190
What silicon tips do you recommend? Are there any, which don't increase highs (something like what the comply does - smoothens the sound)?

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #44 of 3,190
I just ordered a b-stock IMR R1, let's see what it's about. I am looking forward to trying out the filters and to see how the soundstage changes when adjusting the back.

Interested to read your comparison to the custom 2.5. I have the universal and I like the R1 a bit more - got what's missing in the Aurisonics (highs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back