IMR - R1 Thread
Apr 11, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #302 of 3,190
Ooh sounds interesting! I wont go insane will I?

I may have to try some SpinFits.... I use Symbio E Mandarins atm which sonically are the best iv'e tried, but they dont stay put and do cause a little discomfort.

Might order some now if Amazon UK have them ...
I had the same problem with the Symbios. SpinFits and a custom cable w/memo
Eughh.....Which Spinfits does everyone use?? Didnt realise there are so many options!!
CP100

Apr 11, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #303 of 3,190
I can if you would like, I really like both IEMs but the R1 is pretty special.

I have to agree wholeheartedly :grinning:

R1O1 Balanced.JPG

But then again I may have had a little love affair with his work prior to the R1's:rolling_eyes:

Trinity Tribute - The Bob.JPG

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #304 of 3,190
Balanced cable arrived this morning from IMR, been listening balanced for the last 45mins from the dx200.
It takes the R1 up a wee notch for me. More air and depth to the whole experience.

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #305 of 3,190
Balanced cable arrived this morning from IMR, been listening balanced for the last 45mins from the dx200.
It takes the R1 up a wee notch for me. More air and depth to the whole experience.
Mine arrived the other day too. It did appear to be tighter and airier to me too. Though i only listened to about 15mins and didnt cable swap. Working away atm so when i get home i am looking forward to swapping them out and seeing the improvement.
I think you got to volume match for a scientific comparison but i cant do that so im gonna let my imagination believe what it wants

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #306 of 3,190
Mine arrived the other day too. It did appear to be tighter and airier to me too. Though i only listened to about 15mins and didnt cable swap. Working away atm so when i get home i am looking forward to swapping them out and seeing the improvement.
I think you got to volume match for a scientific comparison but i cant do that so im gonna let my imagination believe what it wants

My methods are no where near scientific I just rely on my trusty ears lol.

I have a set of tracks that I use when I get new equipment and spent a wee bit of time this morning listening with the old cable then switched over to the, no real science but I can tell the difference.

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #308 of 3,190
Apr 12, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #310 of 3,190
Great! Which amp are using with your DX200?

At the moment using the Amp1 module but got the Amp4s on its way tome with the adopter for 2.5mm. Cant wait to try it.

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #311 of 3,190
Nice!! Id love to try the DX200. Im using the Cayin N5ii which sounds great with the R1s.
I need to try the other filters currently tried and in order of favortism:
1. Black
2. Blue
3. Copper

I have yet to try Pink and Orange might try this weekend if i find the time

Apr 12, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #312 of 3,190
At the moment using the Amp1 module but got the Amp4s on its way tome with the adopter for 2.5mm. Cant wait to try it.
Well, you are in for some stunning adventures in audio. The R1 is a reference level transducer with an impulse response that is almost as good as an electrostat. This means you can actually hear the distortion caused by your amplifier and DAC.

The Amp1 is a conventional amplifier that uses negative feedback to achieve linearity. It turns out that feedback causes intermodulation distortion. This can be heard as stridency in the top-end and is particularly noticeable in sustained notes of brass instruments, choirs, female vocals and violins. There are two ways to eliminate this problem. One is to use zero feedback as in the Pono Player. The other is to use current feedback as in the Amp4s.

On to the DAC. The filters employed by PCM DACs create top-end sonic artifacts that are especially noticeable at 44.1, in the same situations as described above. If you listen carefully you can still notice them at 96; they are pretty much gone at 192. DSD, at any sample rate, has none.

Now when you mix feedback distortion with filter artifacts (especially at 44.1) even more intermodulation occurs... all of which can be heard with a reference level transducer like the R1. The masses assume that the signal chain is squeaky clean and mis-diagnose the aforementioned symptoms as a "treble problem" with their transducer.

So, I would predict that you will experience the following:

DX200+Amp4s+high res content+pink filters=audiophile nirvana

DX200+Amp1+low res content=stridency, which requires the copper filters to tame

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #313 of 3,190
So - despite all the bad vibe on massdrop and elsewhere, I decided to give these a try.... I ordered one of the B-product and it is supposed to ship today. Email correspondence with Bob has been the quickest I have ever experienced.

So far, so good.

Cheers!

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #314 of 3,190
How much do you guys spend on tips to get the right one?
So - despite all the bad vibe on massdrop and elsewhere, I decided to give these a try.... I ordered one of the B-product and it is supposed to ship today. Email correspondence with Bob has been the quickest I have ever experienced.

So far, so good.

Cheers!
You'll not regret the decision. You obviously have sense to take the unwarranted accusations with a pinch of salt so you'll realise quickly they're a work of acustica art.
If you're a bit of a bass head like some of us then you're in for a treat.

Apr 12, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #315 of 3,190
51iAQZWaDlL._SL1001_.jpg
Eughh.....Which Spinfits does everyone use?? Didnt realise there are so many options!!

You probably want to go with the Spinfit CP-100. Once that's narrowed down you need to find the right size. There isn't a lot of help with that online either. And depending on your computer/device screen, they might even look a lot alike. The Large size has the Yellow sleeve. M is Red, S is Maroon and ES is purple. Really weird that the colors don't distinctly indicate the size. Finding the best tip for these R1 was more of a chore than I've ever experienced. For me the Red (M) Spinfit cp-100 seem to be the ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back