IMR - R1 Thread
Jul 18, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #2,926 of 3,190
Saw DC01, looks very interesting. Hows the background? Clean, quiet? Ive used DFR and Zuperdac-s with Oneplus 3T, worked good. Lately been playing with Periodic Audio Nickel, fun little beast.
Oneplus 3T > Zuperdac-s as a dac > Nickel > R1 , clean clear and dynamic sound.
Seems perfectly quiet with the Zenith. I've not tried it with other more sensitive iems as of yet. It's well worth the money and one of the main bonuses is that it's hardly adding much to the existing cable, unlike when I tether a dragonfly or my old Geekout to my phone. I prefer the dc01 to both of those options sonically as well I have to add.

Jul 26, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #2,928 of 3,190
No matter how, or what I try, I can’t get rid of the driver flex in my right iem. I think it must be the anatomy of my right ear canal that is causing this as no problems with left side :frowning2:

Mine are b-stock, (out of phase on right iem) reversed cable plug fixed this. So it’s not like I paid full price at least.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #2,930 of 3,190
Just pulled the trigger on the Zenith. Anyone here able to compare the R1 or R1Z with Xelentos. My Xelentos failed after 3 days due to driver flex - the left bud literally popped, died and wouldnt come back. Beyer gave me an RMA and a new set direct from factory will be arriving in a couple of days. In the meantime, I've decided I'll sell them new unopened and bought the Drop deal on R1 Z but I'd love to hear from anyone familiar with both the Xelento and R1

Jul 28, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #2,931 of 3,190
Hi guys. Ive read a few reviews now where the treble was described as "metallic" and I even picked up a recent comment where he said the next gen driver will be less "metallic" can someone help me understand what that means or further elaborate what might be meant as metallic treble? Thanks!

Jul 29, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #2,932 of 3,190
Just pulled the trigger on the Zenith. Anyone here able to compare the R1 or R1Z with Xelentos. My Xelentos failed after 3 days due to driver flex - the left bud literally popped, died and wouldnt come back. Beyer gave me an RMA and a new set direct from factory will be arriving in a couple of days. In the meantime, I've decided I'll sell them new unopened and bought the Drop deal on R1 Z but I'd love to hear from anyone familiar with both the Xelento and R1
Xelento are much smoother and less aggressive

Jul 29, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #2,933 of 3,190
Thanks for that. Having heard the Xelentos I know what you mean by smoother but when you call the R1 Z aggressive is that complimentary of them or critical of them.?

Jul 29, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #2,934 of 3,190
Thanks for that. Having heard the Xelentos I know what you mean by smoother but when you call the R1 Z aggressive is that complimentary of them or critical of them.?
Maybe a mix from both .. I used the black filter . With some tracks it’s very well done but with some they can be fatiguing...

The Xelentos are better for longer listening sessions at least for my taste :) but I sold both :D

Jul 29, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #2,935 of 3,190
For me the aggression and the metallic timbre are separate things.

The aggression I would unequivocally describe as a great quality of the IMR range, if not the greatest. I’m a forward-head: I enjoy a push all across the frequency range as long as it is controlled, bass doesn’t bloat, mids don’t shout and treble keeps from sibilance or glare. I find the R1 flattering in their presentation of metal, electronic music, vocals, folk.
The Zenith sound “truer” in a sense, closer to what we equate with a neutral presentation. Which is why I favor the original R1; for me enjoyment trumps fidelity, and is arguably more faithful to what a musician wants the audience to feel when experiencing his.her work.
I have never heard the Xelentos.

As to the metallic timbre, don’t worry too much about that, it’s not a deal-breaking issue and can be mitigated with the appropriate filters. The upper mids especially and the lower treble can exhibit a slight hardness, a coldness as of steel. I found this character more pronounced on the Zenith than the R1, it is probably a byproduct of the more audiophile tuning. It made the blue filters downright unpleasant for me, whereas they are my main alternative on the R1 when the black filters are too much and I want more detail, insight and linearity.

Do bear in mind I am more critical than most of the Zenith, I am an unabashed fan of the original R1. My music is either cymbal-heavy and aggressive itself, or centered on forward female vocals, basically it brings out everything that’s less desirable about the Zenith, so its tone may well suit you better - I am in the minority on this thread.

Jul 29, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #2,936 of 3,190
Hi guys. Ive read a few reviews now where the treble was described as "metallic" and I even picked up a recent comment where he said the next gen driver will be less "metallic" can someone help me understand what that means or further elaborate what might be meant as metallic treble? Thanks!
I think I used that same word as well but now I can't remember exactly what I meant by it. I think it might the fair amount of both middle and upper treble, it can sound unpleasant, unnatural and "artificial". Surprisingly it didn't bother me all that much, the shouty upper mids/lower treble were more bothersome to me.

Jul 29, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #2,937 of 3,190
For me the aggression and the metallic timbre are separate things.

The aggression I would unequivocally describe as a great quality of the IMR range, if not the greatest. I’m a forward-head: I enjoy a push all across the frequency range as long as it is controlled, bass doesn’t bloat, mids don’t shout and treble keeps from sibilance or glare. I find the R1 flattering in their presentation of metal, electronic music, vocals, folk.
The Zenith sound “truer” in a sense, closer to what we equate with a neutral presentation. Which is why I favor the original R1; for me enjoyment trumps fidelity, .
Awesome. That helps a great deal... I'll have my Zenith mid August and The Xelentos are hitting eBay! Thank you

Jul 29, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #2,938 of 3,190
I think I used that same word as well but now I can't remember exactly what I meant by it. I think it might the fair amount of both middle and upper treble, it can sound unpleasant, unnatural and "artificial". Surprisingly it didn't bother me all that much, the shouty upper mids/lower treble were more bothersome to me.
Thanks. I suppose I can tame that, if I find it the same, with filters and foams.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #2,939 of 3,190
Do bear in mind I am more critical than most of the Zenith, I am an unabashed fan of the original R1. My music is either cymbal-heavy and aggressive itself, or centered on forward female vocals, basically it brings out everything that’s less desirable about the Zenith, so its tone may well suit you better - I am in the minority on this thread.
OH and let me say Merci Beaucoup Mnsr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back