IMR - R1 Thread
Feb 28, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #2,326 of 3,190
The AKG N5005 is the first IEM I have seen come with a Warning that use could result in Cancer or Reproductive issues. State of California anyway.

Guessing that's because it comes with a Bluetooth neckband as part of the accessories. Not great, whatever it is!

Mar 1, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #2,328 of 3,190
Late to the R1 party as everyones still in a tizzy over their Zenith, figured I'd throw in my thoughts which probably aren't as positive as everyone elses. Do note that that I'm fairly sensitive to any kind of treble spikes, especially upper treble. Opinions are mainly for the black nozzle.

PROS
  • Bass = AMAZING. Probably the best I've heard out of any IEM or headphone even. There's just so much of it and it's such good quality as well.
  • Soundstage is very good.
  • Imaging is very good, sound is super clean (due to the scooped mids).
  • Comfortable, but I have big ears... pretty much everything is comfortable for me.
  • I love how they look, I'm a sucker for utilitarian design.
  • Nozzles are easy to use and change sound a fair amount.
CONS
  • Mids are just bad. Anything below upper mids are completely scooped out which, like mentioned, makes the sound very clean, but also clinical, cold and boring. The upper mids have two massive spikes in them making everything sounds shrill, unnatural and bright. No filters completely remove this characteristic. Copper filter gets closest, but kills treble as well.
  • Treble is fairly good quality, there's just too ****ing much of it. Bit metallic sounding.
  • Cable sucks but at least it feels pretty rugged.
Probably 3/5. Not for me. Maybe if I listened exclusively to EDM, hip/hop, pop, etc. But I don't.

Mar 1, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #2,329 of 3,190
It has been reported that the use of Bluetooth and even WiFi may lead to getting Cancer.

Ace Ventura already warned me of this many years ago.. so far ahead of his time. :)

Joking aside, I guess its a good thing to have that, though I doubt it would persuade anyone to not use them. At best its just a notice.

@MrDelicious - did you end up burning them in? Seems that reports of burnin on these IEMs shows them to open up after some time.. I mention it because if you're finding that the mids are scooped out, it could be why. I certainly don't find this with the R1

Mar 1, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #2,330 of 3,190
Late to the R1 party as everyones still in a tizzy over their Zenith, figured I'd throw in my thoughts which probably aren't as positive as everyone elses. Do note that that I'm fairly sensitive to any kind of treble spikes, especially upper treble. Opinions are mainly for the black nozzle.

You might like the Zenith's. Same great solid bass, but everything above it is surprisingly spacious and clearer. I'm not sure if you'd find the mid/treble shrill or metallic - I didn't feel that with the R1, so perhaps for you it's a try-before-you-return scenario.

Mar 2, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #2,331 of 3,190
You might like the Zenith's. Same great solid bass, but everything above it is surprisingly spacious and clearer. I'm not sure if you'd find the mid/treble shrill or metallic - I didn't feel that with the R1, so perhaps for you it's a try-before-you-return scenario.
Dunno, think I might want to see measurements first. The Zeniths seem like a tweaked version more than a different IEM, I feel like the mids would need a bigger overhaul. Probably not for me either, sadly.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #2,332 of 3,190
@MrDelicious - did you end up burning them in? Seems that reports of burnin on these IEMs shows them to open up after some time.. I mention it because if you're finding that the mids are scooped out, it could be why. I certainly don't find this with the R1

Sorry re-read the post

Mar 2, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #2,333 of 3,190
Just doing a bit of configuration check. Zenith owners, what configurations are you using the majority of the time? Tips, filters and cables.

Mar 2, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #2,336 of 3,190
Ace Ventura already warned me of this many years ago.. so far ahead of his time. :)

Joking aside, I guess its a good thing to have that, though I doubt it would persuade anyone to not use them. At best its just a notice.

Mine were used, I assumed they were more or less burned in. Either way, I do believe burn in exists but no way can it change a headphones signature that much to fix the R1's issues. Or my issues with it, more specifically.

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #2,340 of 3,190
Just doing a bit of configuration check. Zenith owners, what configurations are you using the majority of the time? Tips, filters and cables.

Blue filters permanently attached, large Symbio wide bore, IMR silver plated replacement cable. Super delicious sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back