IMR - R1 Thread
Jan 9, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #1,592 of 3,190
Jan 9, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #1,594 of 3,190
Jan 9, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #1,595 of 3,190
Jan 9, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #1,598 of 3,190

Just got mine. It is indeed a more refined version of the R1 - I LOVE this baby.

Here is the balanced cable. The exact same as the normal one just 2.5mm balanced plug. Better version than the original. Still rather rubbery and thick but better than before from memory.

Cheers

Looks great!!! I can't wait to receive mine!

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #1,599 of 3,190
My current status
upload_2019-1-9_14-25-26.png

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #1,600 of 3,190
Ye interesting easy reads bud. Have you done a written review of the R1? If so I'd enjoy reading it
sorry man, i don't have the r1 at the moment. But when i will get my r1 zenith, i will contact a friend of mine who lives near me to send his r1 down to me for comparison between them.

Jan 9, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #1,601 of 3,190
I ordered the wide bore that’s what some other folks earlier in the thread were using.

Wide bore for me like @Blotto80 - perfect fit. Someone else in the thread is using the normal bore though, and also reports they fit fine. Maybe get the wide bore if you have large ear canals, I believe a larger base in addition to a larger tip size gives max seal.

I asked Bob at IMR. He said definitely Wide Bore. I have mine now and I'm using the large size tips. Good comfort, no issues so far and isolation is better than the IMR supplied foam tips.
Happy days

3RLfe2A.jpg

I tried both Symbio N and Symbio W. For me Symbio W is better sound-wise.

What size Symbio W did you guys get? The Medium stock IMR tips fit me the best, but I think I've read in another thread Symbio's run large? So I maybe need a small Symbio?

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #1,602 of 3,190

Just got mine. It is indeed a more refined version of the R1 - I LOVE this baby.

Here is the balanced cable. The exact same as the normal one just 2.5mm balanced plug. Better version than the original. Still rather rubbery and thick but better than before from memory.

Cheers
How are you Pep! I didn't receive an email about these so I momentarily missed out....
How's the bass, better or worse?

Do the instruments still bleed?
How much of an improvement was made in that area?
What about the mid range placement, is it more foward now?

I loved my R-1's, but none of the filters will screw in.. So I haven't listened to them for quite sometime!!

Thanks!!

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #1,603 of 3,190
What size Symbio W did you guys get? The Medium stock IMR tips fit me the best, but I think I've read in another thread Symbio's run large? So I maybe need a small Symbio?
I got a mixture of Medium and Large. Turns out the Large are the best fit for me. My right ear is larger than my left so that was easy but I find them really comfortable so just use large for both ears.

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #1,604 of 3,190
R1 Zenith First Listen

OOTB they sounded like a typical metal driver that is not broken in: elevated treble and strident mids. They also showed some promise in the bass area.

Broken in, the Zeniths lift a veil (or 2) from the sound of the R1s. Bass goes lower in frequency, treble extends higher. Dynamics and detail reproduction are improved. Bob said the Zenith uses a faster driver and that is what I am hearing.

Not that the R1s are particularly veiled. I think a good analogue would be the HD 650. A fantastic headphone, but without low or high end extension. Beautiful mids.

Continuing the analogy, then, the Zeniths are like the LCD4. Great extension from lows to high. Great detail extraction. Fast. That is why they are at the top of the headphone heap... and why they cost $4K

I am listening to the Zeniths with the blue filter, stock silicone tips, a Ted Allen solid silver Litz type 2 cable and a Sony NW-WM1Z DAP.

I was blown away with how good the R1s were when I got them and I am in a similar condition listening to the Zeniths :)

You could LOTS more money on recent FOTM hybrids and not get sound this good.

I am thunderstruck. The Zeniths are a quantum leap in SQ, not an incremental upgrade. Thank you Bob!!!

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #1,605 of 3,190
R1 Zenith First Listen

OOTB they sounded like a typical metal driver that is not broken in: elevated treble and strident mids. They also showed some promise in the bass area.

Broken in, the Zeniths lift a veil (or 2) from the sound of the R1s. Bass goes lower in frequency, treble extends higher. Dynamics and detail reproduction are improved. Bob said the Zenith uses a faster driver and that is what I am hearing.

Not that the R1s are particularly veiled. I think a good analogue would be the HD 650. A fantastic headphone, but without low or high end extension. Beautiful mids.

Continuing the analogy, then, the Zeniths are like the LCD4. Great extension from lows to high. Great detail extraction. Fast. That is why they are at the top of the headphone heap... and why they cost $4K

I am listening to the Zeniths with the blue filter, stock silicone tips, a Ted Allen solid silver Litz type 2 cable and a Sony NW-WM1Z DAP.

I was blown away with how good the R1s were when I got them and I am in a similar condition listening to the Zeniths :)

You could LOTS more money on recent FOTM hybrids and not get sound this good.

I am thunderstruck. The Zeniths are a quantum leap in SQ, not an incremental upgrade. Thank you Bob!!!
Thanks for the detailed report from the front on the Zeniths! very exciting! please keep offering your impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back