Impressions of the Ortofon e-Q7 versus the IE8, CK100, SE530, FX500 and X10 (plus CK10 discussion from post #120)
Nov 24, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #16 of 882
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyle_t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pity you didn't do an A/B with TF10pro, which i did. To my ears it made even the TF10pro sound muddy and boomy.

A very neutral, transparent, airy sounding IEM which is on par with the top universals, thats E-Q7 for you. Not for bass lovers tho.

Sorry, I don't have the TF10, I had the SF5 and didn't like the fit and form factor, so TF10 is no-go for me.

I do not think the e-Q7 is lean on bass, what's your source? Many DAPs have bass rolloff, but not the Sansa Fuze. From my Fuze the Ortofons have plenty of bass, at least as much as the X10 which are considered bassy phones by many fellow head-fiers. IMO it's only the exceptional clarity and presence of the upper frequencies on the e-Q7 that might lead one into thinking they're light on bass.

Nov 24, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #18 of 882
Yea, I absolutely love Ck100 mids, even though I agree it is very colored. It indeed makes female vocals sound too thin sometimes, but generally it gives an extremely transparent and clean sound. Its either good or bad, depending on what genre of music, but for me it is just perfect (I tend to listen to a lot of J-pop). I like my CK100 way more than IE8, I really can't stand the midbass hump IE8 and how warm they are...

It is so very interesting how people's preferences differ
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #19 of 882
^ Partly this could also be due to source/phone synergy. The CK100 mids are much warmer driven from my XIN supermicro. I believe the Fuze is not as warm sounding as your Sony X.

Nov 24, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #20 of 882
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I don't have the TF10, I had the SF5 and didn't like the fit and form factor, so TF10 is no-go for me.

I do not think the e-Q7 is lean on bass, what's your source? Many DAPs have bass rolloff, but not the Sansa Fuze. From my Fuze the Ortofons have plenty of bass, at least as much as the X10 which are considered bassy phones by many fellow head-fiers. IMO it's only the exceptional clarity and presence of the upper frequencies on the e-Q7 that might lead one into thinking they're light on bass.

i listened to it through my iPhone 3G headphone out. Same bass quantity as x10? i've heard the x10 via the iPhone before also, that and TF10pro definitely has more bass than ortofon to me. Maybe i don't have a good seal, i remember the fit wasn't the best i've had.

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #21 of 882
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyle_t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i listened to it through my iPhone 3G headphone out. Same bass quantity as x10? i've heard the x10 via the iPhone before also, that and TF10pro definitely has more bass than ortofon to me. Maybe i don't have a good seal, i remember the fit wasn't the best i've had.

Please take a look at this test (thanks cn11 for the link). The reviewer states that "bass output is huge". I would not even claim this, because to my ears FX500 and IE8 have more bass quantity. But the e-Q7 is definitely no slouch. I believe it must have been bad seal.

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #22 of 882
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please take a look at this test (thanks cn11 for the link). The reviewer states that "bass output is huge". I would not even claim this, because to my ears FX500 and IE8 have more bass quantity. But the e-Q7 is definitely no slouch. I believe it must have been bad seal.

I'd be happy as long as the Ortofon's are reasonably close to the FX500 & IE8, with perhaps a higher quality definition and impact?
icon10.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #23 of 882
Ortofon's are ordered from Wickeddigital.com.au!

I haven't been this excited about a new IEM purchase since waiting for the IE8's or Westone 3's to be delivered. I'm hoping they better each of those....

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #25 of 882
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't been this excited about a new IEM purchase since waiting for the IE8's or Westone 3's to be delivered. I'm hoping they better each of those....

hmm

someone in the US buying an IEM from a danish company selling it only in japan, imported to austrailia where you ordered it from to then be shipped over to you in the US.

seems overly complicated to me

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #27 of 882
Quote:

I also look forward to reading your impression's of the Ortofon's cn11, but does this mean that you're coming over from the dark side?

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #28 of 882
I will be crossing over into the light! Heh heh.... From what I've read, they developed their own BA driver, which is larger in size than the others in the industry, and it uses one magnetic pole instead of two. Not that there was any explanation of what exactly that does for the sound. I'll find out I guess.

About the order, I checked in with Pricejapan.com, and their total quote was right at the same level as Wickeddigital.com.au. In trading emails with the guy at Wickeddigital, they seem like a real stand-up company. I felt better going with them rather than Pricejapan. I got registered post with tracking, so I feel pretty safe.

We'll see.... It's my most 'interesting' order to date for sure.

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #30 of 882
Quote:

I In trading emails with the guy at Wickeddigital, they seem like a real stand-up company. I felt better going with them rather than Pricejapan. I got registered post with tracking, so I feel pretty safe.

My past experience with WickedDigital was great. When I was in Sydney few years ago, I ordered my desktop amp from them (they are the official distributor in Aussie) and they shipped to me pretty fast. When I discover one of the tube in the amp was really microphonics a day after the delivery, they sent a courier to pick it up and swapped a new one for me.

On the topic of e-Q7, I am getting a loaner pair for review. Hopefully I'll get it in less than a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back