[Impression] FiiO X3 – High Fi, Low Price.
May 30, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #121 of 636
Quote:
Yes Jaycee I fully expect the street price will be within 2 benjamins once the initial demand had been fulfilled. Price:sound ratio will be the key selling point for X3. As it's stand now, it's uniquely positioned without a true direct competition at the msrp price point so you may need to wait a while though for prices to start coming down.

Yeah, I'd like it for under $200, as was mentioned a few months ago by JamesFiiO himself.

May 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #122 of 636
I really hope that you can search your music list by means of selecting the first letter of a song, artist, album, etc. And no, I don't mean the entire list being listed alphabetically as most players do that by default. I mean giving us the means to select a specified letter of the alphabet and getting results of songs, artists and albums that begin with that letter. Curious, is this feature in there?

Thanks in advance.

May 30, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #123 of 636
May 31, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #124 of 636
Quote:

What feature is he refering to?

Does the X3 have an  automatic shut off  feature when its batteries are fully charged?
According to your suggestion,  one should use a 1.5A or 2.0/2.1A  AC USB charger to charge the X3 faster.
What features should such a "perfect" AC USB 2.0A charger have: over-charging protection, over-heating protection,  surge-protection, ...? What U/L specs should it have?
What  brands/models would you recommend?

Thanx.

May 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #126 of 636
Quote:
Does the X3 have an  automatic shut off  feature when its batteries are fully charged?

No, but you can shut it off first, then recharge it.

Quote:
According to your suggestion,  one should use a 1.5A or 2.0/2.1A  AC USB charger to charge the X3 faster.
What features should such a "perfect" AC USB 2.0A charger have: over-charging protection, over-heating protection,  surge-protection, ...? What U/L specs should it have?
What  brands/models would you recommend?

Thanx.

I don't know if you realize the any USB charge will take AC and output 5V DC, but anyway:

USB Charger doesn't have all the blah-blah-blah protections. They are not supposed to have them (or at least not required to), as far as I know. They should however output 5V up to the USB standard. Any charger that comes with a smartphone and has a microUSB plug can charge the X3, and the higher the current output, the faster it should charge X3 to full.

I don't have a brand to recommend. But if you seriously can't find a good one yourself, you can always buy the one made by Apple.

Quote:
Nice article. I am owning a SE535 LTD and looking forward a potable amp/dac like this.

... but X3 is not a portable amp/DAC?

Jun 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #127 of 636
FW 1.0 has been released. It has been quite stable so far.

To update, you'll need a TF card (format to FAT32, if it doesn't work, format to FAT16).
Put the firmware ("X3.fw") on the root of the TF card, plug it into the X3 (off),
Press the 'Menu/return' button and 'Power/play' button at the same time to turn on X3, and it will show 'updating' and a progress bar.
If you don't see the progress bar, turn X3 off by pressing the Power button for 10 seconds, then repeat by pressing menu and power at the same time.
Some time it takes a second try for the progress bar to show up.
Wait for the progress bar finish and the X3 turns off, then restart and enjoy.

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #128 of 636
Sorry if I missed it here, but when will the X3 be available to consumers in the USA?

What are the differences between the X3 and X5 other than price? Would it be worth it to wait for the X5 to be released instead?

I'm interested in upgrading from my Sansa Clip Zip. It's a great budget PMP but I actually think my iPhone 4 outperforms it and I would like a separate PMP for my portable music experience.

Also, I know the X3 can display Chinese text since it was shown in previous photos, and FiiO is a Chinese company, but how does it look with traditional Chinese characters? Are characters readable?

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #129 of 636
Quote:
Sorry if I missed it here, but when will the X3 be available to consumers in the USA?

What are the differences between the X3 and X5 other than price? Would it be worth it to wait for the X5 to be released instead?

I'm interested in upgrading from my Sansa Clip Zip. It's a great budget PMP but I actually think my iPhone 4 outperforms it and I would like a separate PMP for my portable music experience.

Also, I know the X3 can display Chinese text since it was shown in previous photos, and FiiO is a Chinese company, but how does it look with traditional Chinese characters? Are characters readable?

It will be available internationally.

X5 will uses PCM1792 (the best TI chip) as DAC, other detail is not fully confirmed yet.

Traditional and simplified Chinese are all supported. In fact, Japanese in ID3 tag read perfectly as well.

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #130 of 636

It will be available internationally.

X5 will uses PCM1792 (the best TI chip) as DAC, other detail is not fully confirmed yet.

Traditional and simplified Chinese are all supported. In fact, Japanese in ID3 tag read perfectly as well.

Ah okay, good to know then. Sometimes the Clip Zip can't read tags and displays "[][][]" instead, not to mention having to use the stupid-large size 16 unicode font in Rockbox such that 3-5 characters are displayed on the screen at a time...

I might get the X3 then. It has all the features I would ever want from a PMP and the navigation of the user interface sounds reasonably simple to get through.

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #131 of 636
Quote:
Ah okay, good to know then. Sometimes the Clip Zip can't read tags and displays "[][][]" instead, not to mention having to use the stupid-large size 16 unicode font in Rockbox such that 3-5 characters are displayed on the screen at a time...

I might get the X3 then. It has all the features I would ever want from a PMP and the navigation of the user interface sounds reasonably simple to get through.

One feature that I find surprisingly missing from the high-end players like the IBasso DX100, which the Rockboxed-Sansas Clips and Fuze have, is cross-fade, so that the current song fades in to the next song. This way there's you feel like there's a DJ mixing, and there's never even a nanosecond of quiet. I don't suppose that the X3 would have that or could get that in a future firmware update. I am glad there's gapless though.

BTW, regarding availability, there are some some X3's selling on Ebay right now from Signapore for $235, but I think I'll wait a month or so for the second batch.   

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #132 of 636
Quote:

One feature that I find surprisingly missing from the high-end players like the IBasso DX100, which the Rockboxed-Sansas Clips and Fuze have, is cross-fade, so that the current song fades in to the next song. This way there's you feel like there's a DJ mixing, and there's never even a nanosecond of quiet. I don't suppose that the X3 would have that or could get that in a future firmware update. I am glad there's gapless though.

BTW, regarding availability, there are some some X3's selling on Ebay right now from Signapore for $235, but I think I'll wait a month or so for the second batch.   

Crossfeed is a popular feature to true audiophiles IMO. Implementation needs to be absolutely perfect, and many amps/daps fail to provide such. Personally, not a fan of that particular alteration, but I could see how it would suit some listeners. 

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #133 of 636
Quote:

Be care that we have not ship any X3 to outside China now, and Singapore is not the country which we will release X3 in June.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 2, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #134 of 636
Quote:

Quote:

Crossfeed is a popular feature to true audiophiles IMO. Implementation needs to be absolutely perfect, and many amps/daps fail to provide such. Personally, not a fan of that particular alteration, but I could see how it would suit some listeners. 

Cross-fade and cross-feed are two very different things.

Personally, I think cross-fade and gapless kind of contradict each other in some way, especially in gapless music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back