[Impression] FiiO E7 (warning: lot of pics!!!)
Mar 21, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #121 of 195
just from this thread, and no one has had too much say about a direct comparison between the two beyond speculatoin to justify the $20 (or so) difference to me. i admit the rest of the porta-amp section of the forums outside this thread is still pretty foreign to me.... ^^;;

at this point unless a reviewer directly compares them, I won't really know until this releases in May. so far though, I'm leaning towards the E7 for its slightly lower price w/additional amp function, if the DAC function isn't significantly different.

I'm still curious tho about any other DAC options?

just from this thread, and no one has had too much say about a direct comparison between the two beyond speculatoin to justify the $20 (or so) difference to me. i admit the rest of the porta-amp section of the forums outside this thread is still pretty foreign to me.... ^^;;

at this point unless a reviewer directly compares them, I won't really know until this releases in May. so far though, I'm leaning towards the E7 for its slightly lower price w/additional amp function, if the DAC function isn't significantly different.

I'm still curious tho about any other DAC options?

[update] okay so I decided to stop being lazy and used the search button for "DAC"s to find my answer. I went back almost 10 pages and couldn't find many less than $100, and a lot of the results that came up weren't even suitable for "portable" use--it doesn't have to fit in my pocket, but must atleast be able to travel w/my laptop. Looks at the <$100 price point it's only the FiiO E7 or the uDAC (and possibly the Fireye II, but no really strong reviews for it).

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #125 of 195
I just did something stupid, I just did an impulse buy on the E5 when I was fully aware that the E7 would be coming out soon. I thought I read something about the E7 being similar to the E5 in sound quality with just a USB DAC function tacked on. (I'm clearly wrong from gathering more anecdotes!!)

I will use the E5 to power my Ipod Nano 1G with my Audio Technica ATH-SQ5 for the mean time. I'm planning to upgrade to AD700's and to a Cowon S9.

Now I'm wondering if it'll be worth it to upgrade to an E7 when I have both upgrades? I think the E5 will primarily just work as a volume booster for the AD700's on the S9, but I'm wondering if the E7 will have any significant differences SQ wise?

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #126 of 195
I think E7 amp section can definitely keep up with most sub$100 portable amp in the market. There are a few that do sound a little better than E7, but none of them has DAC as good as that on E7 (if they have it at all).

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #127 of 195
In particular, the digital volume control is going to be helpful for IEMs. Pretty useless to have a pot which only starts to track properly at ear blasting volume
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #131 of 195
Attaching the E7 to your MP3 player. Think rubber band
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #135 of 195
Got an email answer from Fiio this morning. The E7 is set for a May 10 release. Hope that's true! This will be my first true portable amp. Toyed with the Bithead, but it's just too big to lug around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back