[Impression] FiiO E7 (warning: lot of pics!!!)
Feb 15, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #92 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting... I wasn't even really wanting to get an external amp/DAC (damn this place).. But now I'm wondering:

1) any opinions on how nicely the E7 would pair w/ a 160Gb iPod Classic (Sept '09 revision) & Klipsch S4's?
2) assuming that setup "makes sense", can anyone suggest a good LOD for my Classic (willing to spend up to $60-$70USD if needed)?

I've got the S4's, and they really don't need an amp. They don't get along well with my biosciencegeek cmoy (weird feedback). You'd be better off spending your money upgrading your IEMs. The S4's aren't bad, but there's better stuff out there. If you really want to try an amp with your iPod, just get a Fiio E1. It's an amp/LOD combo. I don't have one and haven't heard one, but you'd be better off trying that out first than an RSA Shadow and $70 LOD with S4's.

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #93 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the S4's, and they really don't need an amp. They don't get along well with my biosciencegeek cmoy (weird feedback). You'd be better off spending your money upgrading your IEMs. The S4's aren't bad, but there's better stuff out there. If you really want to try an amp with your iPod, just get a Fiio E1. It's an amp/LOD combo. I don't have one and haven't heard one, but you'd be better off trying that out first than an RSA Shadow and $70 LOD with S4's.

Thanks for that bit of insight... Ugh..upgrading IEMs already..why did I know I'd wind up on this path? Guess I'll dive into researching IEMs..

Feb 15, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #94 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be using it out of a laptop as a dac also. Would it be enough to drive some Logitech Z-2300?

Assuming you mean getting the line-out from E7, then the question isn't about whether it would be enough to drive 'something' as it doesn't really drive any thing. Line-out is usually loud because it has the best dynamic range that way, not because it needs to be powerful to 'drive' the next in line (which will be an amp). Line-out signal doesn't usually has much driving power any way since the actual power is provided by the amp. In this case, it will be the power amp inside your z-2300.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaiDukken! /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what would be better to get, the E7, or the Nuforce Icon Mobile?

A blind guess: E7.

Quote:

Thanks for that bit of insight... Ugh..upgrading IEMs already..why did I know I'd wind up on this path? Guess I'll dive into researching IEMs..

I want to point out that there are two normal ways to upgrade the hardware of a portable rig: First is the easiest and most effective (or efficient) way: upgrade the headphone. Second is upgrade the source, including adding an amp. Assuming you have a sufficiently satisfying headphone you want to keep, you can either upgrade the DAP to a better sounding one, or add an amp. The point of adding an amp to a DAP is based on the assumption that you can get a better sound out of the DAP. (1) To do that, you will most likely need a line-out (which iPod has) and the amp you are going to get must be better than the internal amp of the DAP.

(2) Another way to look at the same issue is, the headphone you have need more power to perform at its best, so adding an amp helps since most DAP doesn't have enough juice.

In situation 1, you get better sound as you have better sounding amp section, but your headphone doesn't really benefit that much from the extra power and control. In situation 2, you get better sound because your headphone is sufficiently powered, though you may or may not using a line-out to feed the amp. For the ideal situation, you will want to have both together - improve the source by having a better amp section (via the added amp) while the headphone also benefit from the extra power and control.

The point is, you may or may not be in the ideal situation all the time, and it is important to do your research to find out whether a headphone or an amp upgrade makes more sense in your rig.

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #95 of 195
Quote:

Definitely look into it before buying something better. The S4's are good higher mid-range IEMs, IMO. They're a step below the RE0's (the only high-end IEMs I've heard, keep that in mind), but certainly not bad. Compared to the RE0's, the S4's lack a bit of clarity, detail, and bass quality. The S4's have good quanity, but it's like the bass doesn't extend deep enough. Kinda weird and a little difficult to describe. My S4's are my backup/beater pair, and they work really well for me on camping trips.

If you don't have a good excuse to upgrade, then just hold off. If the S4's sound fine to you, why not enjoy them for a while and wait until something better and cheaper comes out? Who knows when ClieOS will find the next sonic diamond?

Hey, don't feel too bad. Even the guys with JH-13's can still step up to the JH-16's.
biggrin.gif
(all in good fun; I'm not trying to pick on you guys)

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #96 of 195
Okay, so basically what you're saying, is that, it's better for me to upgrade my headphones rather than getting an amp for them. If so, what headphones would you suggest? both IEM and non-IEM. Maybe something like the HD-280?

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #97 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, so basically what you're saying, is that, it's better for me to upgrade my headphones rather than getting an amp for them. If so, what headphones would you suggest? both IEM and non-IEM. Maybe something like the HD-280?

Basically yes, but that's oversimplifying it to an extent. With IEMs, amping really isn't necessary in most cases. Unless you have something with really high impedence, unamped should be okay. With really hissy IEMs, amps can take out the hiss and provide better volume control. I used a cmoy with Altec Lansing UHP336's for a couple months when I was just getting into this stuff. The cmoy really helped them, but upgrading to RE0's (even when unamped) blew them away. I'm just saying if you don't have top-tier IEMs (high-end universals or customs), getting better IEMs will make much more of a difference. Someone once told me something to the effect of "You can spend $100 on an amp and notice a 2% improvement or spend $100 on new IEMs and notice a 200% difference." The dollar figure there may vary, but it's proven to be true so far.

As for reccomendations, I really haven't heard alot of IEMs. Head-Direct RE0's are the best I've heard, and I really see no reason for me to upgrade them at this point. Despite that, I'm really tempted to get a Fiio E7 or iBasso T3D and use that with my Fuze. Then I'll want to get a Fuze LOD, and the cycle continues...

For full-size headphones, ask someone else. I'm really not familiar with them. I've got the $35 JVC 700's and Koss KSC75's, and that's about it.

Feb 16, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #98 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely look into it before buying something better. The S4's are good higher mid-range IEMs, IMO. They're a step below the RE0's (the only high-end IEMs I've heard, keep that in mind), but certainly not bad. Compared to the RE0's, the S4's lack a bit of clarity, detail, and bass quality. The S4's have good quanity, but it's like the bass doesn't extend deep enough. Kinda weird and a little difficult to describe. My S4's are my backup/beater pair, and they work really well for me on camping trips.

If you don't have a good excuse to upgrade, then just hold off. If the S4's sound fine to you, why not enjoy them for a while and wait until something better and cheaper comes out? Who knows when ClieOS will find the next sonic diamond?

Hey, don't feel too bad. Even the guys with JH-13's can still step up to the JH-16's.
biggrin.gif
(all in good fun; I'm not trying to pick on you guys)

Heh...just ordered a pair of ATH-ESW9a's... I have been wanting some full-size cans anyway, but wanted something that at least has a semblance of portability as well. Gonna see how these do straight out of my Classic's HP out...then I'm sure I'll be making an LOD/amp/DAC purchase in the near future as well. I had been looking at the ESW9's for quite some time, but didn't pull the trigger cuz I was stuck in "IEM-only mode."

Feb 16, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #101 of 195
How well would the E7 work with my Senn IE8? I currently love the sound of the IE8 though my RWAudio Amp1 which is a slightly colder sounding amp that is a bit analytical. I think it helps tame the warmth of my IE8 and makes them more detailed. Would I get a similar effect from the E7?

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #102 of 195
Not sure how well it will compare but I consider E7 to be fairly cold and analytical amp.

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #103 of 195
ClieOS, I found out that you reviewed the ad700 a while ago. I'm thinking of getting the E7 mostly because I'm stuck with a laptop sound card right now, but also because the bass boost might help bring some more bass and warmth to my ad700. Would you say that the E7 goes well with the ad700?

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #104 of 195
Bass boost Lv1 and Lv2 definitely add more warmth to AD700, but Lv3 takes away too much upper freq. to my liking. Bass wise, the quantity isn't too much even on Lv3 as it simply doesn't boost enough to turn the bass light AD700 to something else. Personally, I quite enjoy BB Lv1 with AD700 and think they sound pretty good together.

Feb 19, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #105 of 195
So I'm basically asking for help. What would be the best bang for my buck on about a 70-85 dollar budget? IEM and fullsize cans will be considered. Thanks! And maybe some that would possibly do well when with the E7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back