iM716 DIY Pod Removal (aka, Podectomy)
Apr 11, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #271 of 352
I'll be going for something in the 30-50 ohm range but the exact value depends on what resistors my friend has in stock

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #272 of 352
That range is good, especially considering that you can add the Supermini's PtoS adapter.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #273 of 352
Aha... I see.
wink.gif

I'm very curious about 100 Ohms though.... I wonder why no one has tried them?

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #274 of 352
From what I read in the past, they lose some bass and gain more treble detail.

Apr 13, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #275 of 352
Hrm, I just did this podectomy with both 62, and 43 ohms, but vocals have become recessed.... Could it be because the resistors I used are 1/2 watt rather than 1/4 watt?

*edit* Ah I found out what the problem was
smily_headphones1.gif
It was because I stuck a resistor between the gold wires
wink.gif

is there an audible difference between 1/2 watt and 1/4 watt anyway?

Apr 13, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #276 of 352
Here is my post in another thread today, while trying to get the de-podded IM716 to sound better with a variety of resistors - and I did find if the impedance is too high then the mids withdraw and it also kills the dynamics. I also made a couple of other discoveries:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/any...9/#post4078449

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict
Okay, I took wrecked_porche suggestion about poor seal. I can't get the triple flange deep enough into my ear without wetting them with some otoease, which is like giving my ear a "wet-willy". I had to get them out of my ear, yuck, but did feel there was more bass. So, I just now switched to new shiny Shure black foamies, and got them deep into my ear, and there is indeed more bass than wet triple-flanges, which sealed better than dry triple-flanges.

But, the TTVJ portable millet hybrid doesn't seem to drive these as well as it drives my Grados (or as well as it drives anything else - strangely it can drive Livewires better). I have been using it constantly with my iMod and Grado RS-1, as it is a match made in heaven.

So, still using my iMod with ALO Jumbo Cryo Silver X LOD, I switched to the Pico and now we're talking. Bass with the IM716 and Shure black foamies is there and present at anything from 5-47 ohms with the Pico. But 5 ohm (no resistor) sounds terrible (muddy and jumbled). Going the other direction, bass starts to drop a little starting at 69 ohms or more with the Pico.

I can't grab the Predator or D2 because they got left in the car and my wife and kids are out with the car right now. I tried the Headsix, and the bass and power was worse than Pico (I have internal jumpers in headsix set for low gain and don't want to open it up to change that). So, I decided to grab my powerhouse Headstage Lyrix, which always seems to have enough juice for my Grados or HD600.

I figured I would try the Lyrix bass boost with the IM716, but it isn't needed. It seems the Headstage Lyrix really has a lot of juice for driving the IM716, which seem very demanding (some say twice as hard to drive as a ER4S). The Lyrix drives them well, with lots of bass, even in low gain. I actually get decent bass all the way up to 102 ohm added, however above 69 ohm the mids seem withdrawn and dynamics go flat. So, the 22 ohm is better than no resistor, but is muddled or cloudy sounding, and not something I would use all the time. Likewise, the 69 ohm is right at the point where the mids and dynamics begin fall flat, and I wouldn't go higher than that.

In Summary: My findings are that:

(1) The IM716 are extremely sensitive to the seal in the ear, or the depth and position, even when you are not a newbie to IEM and think you have a seal.
(2) The IM716 are very sensitive to what amp I use to drive them.
(3) That (assuming #1 and #2 are dealt with) adding 22, 33, 47, 55 and 69 ohms can work well with the IM716 podectomy.

In my opinion, adding 33, 47, or 55 ohms to the podectomized IM716 seem to work best (when driven by an iMod with ALO portable LOD and Headstage Lyrix Total pro amp, using Shure black foamies). Going higher than that with my particular setup has the effect of pulling back the vocals and dynamics, and no resistor makes the sound too muddy and cloudy. While all of those resistors help to clean up the muddled sound of a de-podded IM716, it is possible to go too low or too high, with compromises in either direction.

I do plan to try this later with my Predator, D2, HR Micro Amp, and then HeadFive, Apogee Mini-DAC and Woo 6.

Apr 15, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #277 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hrm, I just did this podectomy with both 62, and 43 ohms, but vocals have become recessed.... Could it be because the resistors I used are 1/2 watt rather than 1/4 watt?

*edit* Ah I found out what the problem was
smily_headphones1.gif
It was because I stuck a resistor between the gold wires
wink.gif

is there an audible difference between 1/2 watt and 1/4 watt anyway?

I'm wondering this as well...I picked up(by mistake) Vishay/Dale 0.6W instead of 0.25W. Any problem using these...is 1/4 watt a standard or something?

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #281 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmakay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should add: The more important spec. for audio applications is the tolerance. The smaller the better. (Typically, RatShack sells 5% which isn't great.)

Yes, this is what I thought. The Vishay's are metal film 1% and oddly, smaller than the Radio Shack 1/4watt carbon film 5%.

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #282 of 352
of course the best way to check tolerance is a multimeter, my "5%" resistors are within .1 Ohms of each other( well that's as close as my multimeter will read), which is umm.. less than 1% ?. Just take a couple of minutes to check then before choosing a pair. I very much doubt that this kind of variance would be noticeable to be honest.

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #283 of 352
I matched mine using a multimeter!

Just did the podectomy and the SQ improvement is crazy!

I used to matched 48ohm resistors... sounds just like the ety4 as I remember.

Seriously... this is worth doing.

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #284 of 352
Just finished my Podectomy. I used 47 ohm and matched them with a multimeter at 46.1 ohm. I haven't put on heat-shrink yet, so they still look a little ghetto, but they sound really good. I'll do some blind testing with my unaltered pair later and maybe post some impressions.

I am pretty much a nooblet as far as DIY goes, but this wasn't too tricky. Took around 30 minutes total. So far, I would recommend it.

Apr 24, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #285 of 352
I'm a long time UM2 user, so the HD setting sounds wrong to me. Does the 47 ohm resistor duplicate the HD setting? I hate the pod for ergonomics reasons but would be happy with "bass" setting with a simple resistor. I'm guessing 20 to 30 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back