iM716 DIY Pod Removal (aka, Podectomy)
May 29, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #301 of 352
Hello.
How resistor can change freq. balance? If you are making a resistor to headphone it is changing potencial U [V] on all freq. If you look at the Pod, you can see C1, C2 it is condensators and they are changing freq balance. I think this condensators connecting in parallel to headphone like 1st order filter and cuting high freq.
So modes are:
HD mode="More resist."
Bass mode="Lower resist, more volume, +condensators to low high freq. and back them to HD mode volume, thats why you got more bass without losing volume."
Tell me plz how resistors changing balance? I was connecting headphones without resist and with 47 Om and there was 2 difference:
1) Volume changing.
2) More high freq. not the bass if there are no resistors!!!

Jun 9, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #302 of 352
I've had these glorious phones for a while now, but I've never really gotten a good fit with my foamies because my ears started to ACHE after a little while using them because I made them so big. Plus making them was an ordeal, with the pins and erasers method I used. Finally, the homemade foamies would always fall out in my ear, but due to my fantastic stupidity, I lost all the other tips that came with the headphone. Thus, I've never really liked my iM716s - until today. Thank you so much head-fi.

On a whim, I looked up one of those leather whole punches recommended once to make a hole in the howard leight ear plugs, so I could slide it onto the gray thing and use it as a foamie. Found one at Harbor Frieght tools, and it works fantastically. The second great realization I had was that I was making tips the wrong way. Width is more important than length (lololol). After seeing the venerable jSatch's original post, I found out that he used the base of the earplug only, and only a small amount. He also did away with the gray tube things from the foamies that came with the im716. Now I love these damn things. I'm listening to them right now, they feel a little big but as I get used to them I think it'll be fine. Now it's a 3 minute process instead of 30.

So now that I'm able to listen to my iM716s again, I'm thinking about this podectomy, to make them easier to drive ampless from my Clix 4gb, and I have some questions:

1. What ohm resistor would make the phone easy to drive, yet deliver the best quality? I've read 47, but was wondering if this was easily driven ampless.
2. Would the recommendation above be different if I had an amp? I don't want to limit my options because I might get an amp in the future.
3. Where do I get replacement filters and that tool to change them?

Thanks!

Jun 9, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #303 of 352
Replacement filters from Ety website.

I had a fellow Head-Fier (Germania) mod my 716s, and she did a fantastic job at a fantastic price. Very recommended.

I had mine modded with 47 ohm resistors. Germania found some older ones in the lab at school, and the 716s sound great. I really only use them amped, because I am spoiled by the bass from my SA6s. But once I listen to the 716s for awhile, I get use to them and the do sound great. I just favor the Sleeks comfort-wise, as well as prefer their sound. But considering I paid $20 for the 716s and about as much for the mod, no complaints.

Jun 9, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #304 of 352
I used 47ohm resistors on mine. They sound great unamped running off my iPod Touch. Very good head room. My cable insulator aged and started to crack. Since I couldn't find good sounding cables, I have retired them.

Jun 11, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #305 of 352
So I know I'm bumping, but I couldn't resist posting some pictures after this fantastic mod. I used 47 ohm resistors and got everything I needed at Fry's electronics (heatshrink too!)

eryjk4.jpg

moaroa9.jpg

The heatshrink took a lot of working to fit over in the first place, so after shrinking it made the thing rock solid. Also, I know the thing is bumply/ugly to god but it's my baby and I love it <3.

Sound quality feels a bit cleaner (placebo?). bass response seems a bit nicer as well
edit: and wow a TON easier to drive now

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #310 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like my IM716 is kicking the bucket. After a recable, I am losing sound on one channel. It comes on and off when I move the cable in and out. I opened it up and could not determine where the break is. With little way of knowing, I am back to Apple buds.

I'm actually having a similar problem, however I never attempted, nor did I employ anybody to mod my 716's. The right channel just decided to, one day, gradually lose sound. I switched out the filters, but to no avail. Might this be a production issue?

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #311 of 352
Wear and tear. The flex pcb is very thin and with constant tugging and pushing of the cable, the tracing eventually breaks. If it weren't for that mystery diode or resistor in there, one could solder the cable direct to the driver. The tracing can be soldered too. But i had no patience to find the break so I sold my drivers. I got myself a Head Direct Re2. A step down but not bad. For $80 shipped I am not complaining.

Sep 23, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #313 of 352
Ok I know this is wrong, but can someone explain why.

If the volume control changes the resistance of the headphones, couldn't you just use a multimeter at the plug and set it to 47 ohms?

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #314 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by adzadz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I know this is wrong, but can someone explain why.

If the volume control changes the resistance of the headphones, couldn't you just use a multimeter at the plug and set it to 47 ohms?

I think some of the resistance is in parallel not just in series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back