iM716 DIY Pod Removal (aka, Podectomy)
Mar 14, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #256 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I envy you. My oem cable broke and I replaced them with Apple oem cable. It doesn't have the same bass. How much do new ones cost now and where did you order them?

If you have or can borrow a multimeter you can probably figure out where the break is on your oem cable. Most likely at a joint. So just re-solder.

Maybe you can re-cable with some quality wire and a new plug?

I have absolutely no experience with selection of wire and plugs. Maybe someone here can point you in the right direction.

Quick search on ebay shows some silver plated copper teflon. Do not know if this would be appropriate and what gauge you will need.
eBay Store - John's Silver Teflon Wire Shop: Silver Teflon Wire:

Here is the DIY Gallery. Someone used cat6 network cable to splice.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/diy...8/index20.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am tossing between the IM716 or an Ety ER6. Among the Ety line, which one will be closest to the IM716 depodded?

I haven't heard any of the etys so maybe you could ask someone who owns both. Just for refrence according to headroom:

er4p: 27ohm
er4s: 100ohm
er6i: 16ohm

Do not know how the above numbers compare with the 716s. Maybe it's just efficiency.

Good luck.

Mar 14, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #257 of 352
The wire itself is fine. The insulation is the one cracking in places. repair is a waste of time because it is so brittle, it will just break again in another area. This cable is toast.

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #258 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't comment on which ety would be closest to the depodded im716's, but i will say that whatever one compares will probably cost a lot more than the 716's ( i am keen to find out which one compares myself, purely out of interest ).

As for who i bought them off, Amazon, US$49.95 plus postage ( US$12 to Australia)

Amazon is up to $84.00 now. Your best bet is Ebay for around $50.00 plus $12 shipping to Australia

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #260 of 352
I'm here, I have bookmarked this thread.
biggrin.gif

I think the ER4P gives a flatter presentation than iM716. The Altec have more bass, more exciting mids and slightly subdued treble (compared to Etys, not in absolute terms). It's not that the ER4P are more detailed, but details are presented more clearly due to the flat frequency response and slightly overemphasized treble. Instruments are all at the same volume/distance... it's a sterile sound and not involving. I liked the Altec better since they were more "fun" in comparison to the ER4P, but still on the analitical side of music presentation.

The ER4S have 2-3 treble peaks which make the listener hear the contact of a musician with instruments, whispers, furred mouths. It's done to replicate the function outer ears have, to condition the sound and make certain frequencies easier to pick in human hearing. Since IEMs bypass the outer ear, the ER4S are made to make up for that. This is where theory ends. Due to the same treble peaks, the ER4S are also extremely harsher than what should be expectable or pleasing, and the overall listening experience is not better than ER4P, even with the added details.
ER4S are also extremely sterile in bass (so highly bass boosting amps are required).

Mar 22, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #261 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gino, take a look here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ety...-im716-251397/

also, antonyfirst, seeing his sig, have ER4S and im716 modded. You could ask him and post here the answer, or we can wait for him to answer here.

I have both, and ER4S is very close to im716 with 68Ohms. But still 4S sounds more detailed and refined, Altec softer, warmer and a bit fuzzier, that may be because 4S still has slightly higher impedance plus there is difference in the cable, Etymotic uses silver plated copper. I'd say im716 somewhere around 80-85% of Ety performance.
Also it seems like our friend antonyfirst is not a big fan of Etymotic sound, as I cannot confirm many of his findings.
wink.gif
Impressive signature though.

Mar 22, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #262 of 352
I am not worried for you to confirm or not my findings. I have been been fan of Etymotic for quite a long time but didn't feel the necessity to stay tied to them once I discovered something better.
It's also true that many favour different kinds of sound, which brings me, or anyone else, to choose carefully who they can trust based on similar taste or findings.
Anyway I'm very interested in what yours are, just for the sake of curiosity.
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #263 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not worried for you to confirm or not my findings.
Anyway I'm very interested in what yours are, just for the sake of curiosity.

Whatever, moreover the previous post wasn't addressed to you. And I have already posted all my *topic related* findings and do not feel like carrying outside discussion in this thread.
cool.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #266 of 352
Does anybody have a educated guess, or maybe a real figure, of how much louder 47 ohm resistors are than the pod in HD mode? If I could get 3 dB more, I could use them with my Zune w/o an amp, which is a real pain to lug around.

Apr 3, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #267 of 352
Well I gave it a go, seeing as I had my new spare pair here now..

DSC00041.jpg

Only burned one hole in the desk
smily_headphones1.gif

Nor more damn pod flopping about, woot. Not the worst job I've done. I heat shrunk all three inside too, just in case. Found some resistors and matched them to within .1 ohms, couldn't find 2 exactly the same.

Seems a bit more impactful, without the loss of detail Bass mode always used to bring. They're 47 ohms.

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #269 of 352
A friend of mine will perform the operation next week as I am no where near capable of doing it myself. I bought these as backup phones for my APS Ety as the cable had to go back to Alex for repair. Stock I much prefer the sound of my APS Ety. We'll se what happens after the operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back