I'm stuck deciding on a new pair of headphones. HELP!
Sep 18, 2011 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

sophiesophie

New Head-Fier
Hi Everybody.  Here's my situation.  I've lost (stolen?) my Grado SR80i headphones.  I want to replace them (probably with the Alessandro MS1 (2009).  I'm in Canada, and the SR80i cost $180 up here.  The MS1 is $99 including shipping.  No brainer, right?

Well, I have a problem or two with the SR80i, so maybe I should move on from Grado.  Here's my take on the SR80i:

The Great:
-The sound.  Absolutely incredible in every way (for me, at least).
-The looks.  I love them.
-The company (if everything I read about their small operation is true).  I have phoned Grado a couple of times in the past, and they answer their phone on the second ring.  An actual human being, no less.  And when you email them, they reply right away, and actually converse back and forth with you.  Absolutely incredible (again).
-Driven very well by my iPod nano and my computer.

The Not-so-great:
-Plastic.  The vent at the back of one earpiece cracked, and I have no idea why.  Probably from packing in a suitcase - and I really was careful with them.
-The cable twists and twists and twists because of the 360 rotating earpieces.  Once they've twisted, they're a problem for ever more.
-They're comfortable, but kind of not so at the same time.  Foam cups.  Vinyl headband.

So then, I'm considering the following:
-ATH M50: Tons of positive reviews, but I think I'd prefer an open design.  I need to hear the phone ring, etc.
-ATH AD700:  I'm afraid of the lack of bass, and the giant size.  Should I be?
-MS1:  My number one choice so far.  But then I'd have the SR80i problems.
-SR80i:  Why mess with success.  Except for the reason for this posting.

I'm wary of Senns because I once owned a pair of PX-100 (after reading a million positive reviews), loved them, then heard Grados.  Gave away the PX-100s in about a millionth of a second.  Now I'm afraid of Senns.  I've listened to a few Sony headphones side-by-side with my Grados, and absolutely don't like them.  They all sound muddy to me.  It's a problem, comparing other headphones to Grados.  Never listened to AKG.

So, good people of head-fi.  What do you suggest?  I listen to rock, jazz, and a fair amount of classical music (I'm a symphony orchestra season-ticket holder).  99% of my music listening is at home, in a seperate room, away from the rest of my family.  I in no way am interested in amping a pair of headphones.

Please help.  And thank you all.

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 29
What's your budget? If you can swing it I think you should check out the AD900, they're supposed to be the fixed AD700, and people generally seem to love them.

For closed, not sure, but you should probably stay away from something like the HFI-680 or m50 if you want something Grado sounding. Both of those are a little U curved and probably won't give you the midrange presence you're used to. Maybe the Koss Pro DJ100, that's supposed to have some Grado flavor.

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 29
Here's a big problem.  The Ultrasones are not available where I live, so I'd be going in "blind" ordering over the internet.  Same with the Koss.  And I can't afford the AD900s.  About $250 here after duty and shipping.

I'm leaning MS1 so far.  I sent an email to Alessandro, who said that the MS1 is a step above the Grado SR80i.  A step above, and almost half the price!

Any other options that you guys really, really like?

Thanks again.

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 29
I know it sounds like a no-brainer to go for the MS1s.  But I'm afraid I might be missing out of the perfect headphone for me.  That's all.  I know I'd be very, very happy with the MS1.

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 29
I have tried tons of headphones and I always find myself go back to the Creative Aurvana Live! 
These are basically re-branded Denon AH-D1001 with more bass and more of a vivid. Though they are closed headphones, they don't really isolate that great, which I like. These are the most comfortable headphones one can find. Light, super plush pleather and just great all-arounder. 
I am from Toronto, so in case you are too, feel free to PM me if you want to try them out. 
They are around $60 when on sale and $100 regular price.
I had the HD202, PX100-II, PX200-II and just don't like their SQ, it sounds VERY boring to me.

Important: Keep in mind that the MS1 sound signature is very different from the Grado. It's it not in your face like the Grado, more balanced and to me feels less fatigue, however I still prefer the CAL! 
I just can't enjoy headphones that are not comfortable.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 29
Okay.  I'm going to simplify this.

Wanted:  One pair of headphones of sound quality equal to Grado SR80i.  Must be comfortable.  Must be able to hear the phone ring.  Must cost about, give or take, the same as the Grados.

I'm hoping in my hope of hopes that there's one obvious answer to this, besides the SR80i.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 29
It looks like you prefer headphones with a slight upward tilt or at the very least neutral sounding in the treble.  Anything rolled off in the high frequencies will not sound as good to you.  This is what the main differences are between the PX-100 and SR-80.  The driver is much larger on the SR-80 delivering more sound which expands the soundstage quite a bit as well.

The ATH-AD700 is not an upgrade more like an alternate.  You will lose some of the highs, but gain more soundstage and comfort.

I would recommend the Sennheiser HD-518 at the $150 and below price range.  As Mal mentioned above a definte long term upgrade would be a pair of HD-598 or DT880 Pro.  When the budget allows the DT990's are amazing!

Let us know what you decide on and how you like them.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 29
M50: good headphones, but a very different sound: punchy bass and strong highs, recessed mids in comparison
AD700: large and not portable, excellent mids, more airy and light sounding compared to Grado impactfulness, less energy in treble compared to Grado
MS1: very much like the SR80 except the treble end tamed just a bit so the mids feel a little richer

Pricewise, the MS1 is a great choice for Canadians. Actually, if you were already considering spending up to $180, then consider getting both the MS1i and a cheap used SR60 off ebay or the sale forums here. Then read up on some grado mods and experiment on the SR60, and once you're comfortable there you can transfer those skills to the MS1.

Plastic grill: chop it out with a dremel or snips, replace with a metal screen (a few bucks from a hardware store, or even a metal mesh can from the dollar store)
headband: wrap something/anything around it, stitch yourself a new one from leather scraps (I've even seen someone simply use an old belt), or you can buy replacement leather straps
earpads: wash the pads to soften them, or get Senn HD414 pads, or make pads from socks, etc
cable: you could learn to recable, though this is perhaps tricker than the above mods if you've never used a soldering iron)
cup swivel: or crack open the joint that holds the rod, apply anything to shrink the gap a little bit (nail polish even), glue things back together, now the extra friction should minimize rotation.

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #12 of 29
Oh darn.  I was hoping my life would be easier if I posted for help here.  I now have a million billion different headphone suggestions, and a lengthy bit of advice on how to combine two pairs of headphones into one.  One guy seems to be inviting me over to his place to try out his headphones (and I just might do it, if I only had a car....)

You see, I'd just go down to my local high-end headphone shop, get some advice from the expert salesperson, listen to them all, and make a decision.  Home in an hour, right?

But there's no such place where I live.

I'm so confused.  Some headphones are "relaxed".  Some are "in your face".  Some are better for classical music.  Some are better for rock.  Some are better for jazz.

I don't get it.  How could a very good pair of headphones not be good for everything?  I listen to everything, after all.

My poor little head.......

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 29
... or just get the MS1i and run away from this terrible terrible place. Your wallet will thank you. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 29
Well it depends on how picky you are, some of these guys spend thousands of dollars to hear a 1% difference in sound. Im not that type and am perfectly happy listening to headphones not "meant" for a certain genre, I have a feeling youre the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back