iHiFi 990
Feb 20, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #61 of 125
So, I've had mine for about two month.  It is a great player.  I just have two complaints:

1-  Battery life is poor.

2-  Sometimes it sounds too warm/polite.  Maybe part of the problem is that my headphones tend to be warm too.  My favorites are the Audio Technicas Woodies (W1000 and friends).

But for (2) I just found an awesome solution. :)~  Pairing the 990 with a cmoy with the 2134 op-map, it just gets the perfect balance between warmth and resolution.  YMMV, of course, but if you too find the 990 a bit too polite, trying pairing it up with a cmoy/2134.  I'm having a hard time taking it out to go to sleep. :)

Enjoy!!

[]s
Walfredo

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #62 of 125
  So, I've had mine for about two month.  It is a great player.  I just have two complaints:

2-  Sometimes it sounds too warm/polite.  Maybe part of the problem is that my headphones tend to be warm too.  My favorites are the Audio Technicas Woodies (W1000 and friends).

But for (2) I just found an awesome solution. :)~  Pairing the 990 with a cmoy with the 2134 op-map, it just gets the perfect balance between warmth and resolution.  YMMV, of course, but if you too find the 990 a bit too polite, trying pairing it up with a cmoy/2134.  I'm having a hard time taking it out to go to sleep. :)

Enjoy!!

[]s
Walfredo

I wonder if the 780 and the 990 have similar sound signatures.  I really like the 780's sound quality, I just wish it handled large microsd cards and high resolution files more efficiently...   

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #63 of 125

Enjoy!!

[]s
Walfredo

I wonder if the 780 and the 990 have similar sound signatures.  I really like the 780's sound quality, I just wish it handled large microsd cards and high resolution files more efficiently...   

I was reading your description of the 780 and thinking about the same, jdog. :)  

But I don't think the 990 handles cards differently.  I have 128 GB on it and it is plenty for me. 

I've been listening more and more with it.  Maybe that's some break in to go with it... or my brain is readjusting to see the beauty. :)~

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #66 of 125
Apr 3, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #67 of 125
Would be curious if there are more 990 owners by now happy to share their impressions. I got mine actually already some months ago (Gearbest offer) so it's got already many hours of burn-in.

In terms of battery life I can confirm what walfredo wrote - battery life is not great and the player has no auto shutdown if paused. Instead it will deplete the battery.

The scrollwheel could be better (physically) but is acceptable. Otherwise the design is ok - nothing special but just functional.

Nonetheless, it's pretty much my favourite DAP at the moment because of its fantastic sound quality. Indeed, the dual Wolfson DACs tend to be slightly on the warmer side. So I am pairing with the rather bright AudioTechnica MSR7 which is an excellent match.

The Wolfson DACs sound very musical (as opposed to technical) yet detailed. The player really shines in the bass and lower mids section. Bass is very precise and full but never bloated. And attack is spot on. Overall a very pleasant listening experience.

Definitely happy to own this DAP as Wolfson-based DAPs have become rare these days.

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #68 of 125
Would be curious if there are more 990 owners by now happy to share their impressions. I got mine actually already some months ago (Gearbest offer) so it's got already many hours of burn-in.

In terms of battery life I can confirm what walfredo wrote - battery life is not great and the player has no auto shutdown if paused. Instead it will deplete the battery.

The scrollwheel could be better (physically) but is acceptable. Otherwise the design is ok - nothing special but just functional.

Nonetheless, it's pretty much my favourite DAP at the moment because of its fantastic sound quality. Indeed, the dual Wolfson DACs tend to be slightly on the warmer side. So I am pairing with the rather bright AudioTechnica MSR7 which is an excellent match.

The Wolfson DACs sound very musical (as opposed to technical) yet detailed. The player really shines in the bass and lower mids section. Bass is very precise and full but never bloated. And attack is spot on. Overall a very pleasant listening experience.

Definitely happy to own this DAP as Wolfson-based DAPs have become rare these days.

I see that you also have exoerience with AP100 and M2. How do they compare with 990?

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #69 of 125
I see that you also have exoerience with AP100 and M2. How do they compare with 990?

Both the AP100 and the M2 use the same (very popular) CirrusLogic DAC (CS4398) but sound rather different to each other. (As Wolfson is part of CirrusLogic since some years, strictly speaking the 990 has a CirrusLogic DAC as well :wink: )

The AP100 leans a tiny bit towards the bright side so I am using it with either the NAD Viso HP50 or the Yamaha MT-220. The AP100 also has the option to do upscaling (using a CS8422 chip) which allows to feed 192KHz 24 bit into the DAC (independently of the source material). The sample rate conversion process seems to result in some slightly rolled off highs - I think that's beneficial in case of the AP100.
Nonetheless, the AP100 can still be described as being fairly neutral. Compared to the 990, it is less engaging/enthusiastic and less defined in the bass department. I would also say the 990 has a bit more sparkle (without sounding harsh at all). Overall, however, the 990 sound signature is darker so certainly pair with bright headphones. It's probably easier to find a match for the AP100. But once you have a good combo with the 990, then the 990 will outperform the AP100. Layering/separation is better on the 990. Soundstage a bit deeper (possibly also wider) on the 990.
(Note that all these impressions are influenced by the combos I am using - also consider that the HP50 generally produce a larger soundstage than the MT-220 and MSR-7.)
UI is pretty simple on both players, possibly a tiny bit nicer on the 990. But haptics are a lot better on the AP100.
As the AP100 is cheaper (and a very decent DAP) it offers better value for money. If you are mainly in for the sound quality then I would suggest the 990.

For the Shanling M2 I found that the AKG K545 are a good match (with gain setting low). Price-wise the M2 sits in-between the AP100 and the 990 - and that's probably correct when looking at sound quality. With older firmwares the M2 had a somewhat analog (but good) sound signature. With later firmwares the sound became cleaner. Now it's possible to choose the DAC filter setting in the menu. Speaking of the menu, the M2 has by far the most polished menu, translations, etc. Haptics are pretty good although navigating through folders is still easiest with the plain buttons of the AP100 in my opinion. The scroll wheel of the M2 is definitely better than of the 990. And also battery life is a lot better on the M2!
But back to sound signature. The M2 does not sound technical at all (none of the Shanling DAPs do). Instead, the sound is clean, transparent and musical at the same time. The 990 has a fuller sound (although M2 sound isn't thin either). Is the M2 as engaging as the 990? No, unfortunately not. Soundstage is more or less on the same level, but separation is slightly below the 990.
When considering the overall package then the M2 is a really, really good DAP and probably wins over the 990. When judging based on sound quality alone, then a good 990 combo can do better.

Hope I could give some useful insights :)

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #70 of 125
Anyone interested in my custom firmware / themes for the awesome ATC HDA-DP20 (Xuelin ihifi990)
All English errors corrected and GUI improvements. My firmware mod is based on Xeulin's as ATC don't have one available to download, but they say they are working on an updated firmware :) (So that will work on the Xuelin ihifi990 also)

If your on a Xuelin I can change the graphics to suit as I added in the ATC logos :wink:

Gone is the boring black ATC boot screen now with a combination ATC/Xuelin screen
IMG_20171115_203130.jpg

The about screen is now much nicer with ATC and HI-Res Audio logos etc
IMG_20171115_203650.jpg

IMG_20171115_203236.jpg
IMG_20171115_203329.jpg
IMG_20171115_203441.jpg
IMG_20171115_203508.jpg
IMG_20171115_203259.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #71 of 125
Anyone interested in my custom firmware / themes for the awesome ATC HDA-DP20 (Xuelin ihifi990)
All English errors corrected and GUI improvements. My firmware mod is based on Xeulin's as ATC don't have one available to download, but they say they are working on an updated firmware :) (So tjhat will work on the Xuelin ihifi990 also)

If your on a Xuelin I can change the graphics to suit as I added in the ATC logos :wink:

Very impressive.

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #74 of 125

Users who are viewing this thread

Back