iHiFi 990
Dec 12, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #46 of 125
For anyone interested in the Xuelin 990, Gearbest has another promo code that will reduce the price from about US $293 to about US $255.  In fact the promo code is supposed to be good for all electronic devices on Gearbest and takes 13% off the price; this promo code is supposed to be good until 12/31/16.  The promo code is: GBCE.  I tried this code out earlier today and it worked for me....

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #47 of 125
  For anyone interested in the Xuelin 990, Gearbest has another promo code that will reduce the price from about US $293 to about US $255.  In fact the promo code is supposed to be good for all electronic devices on Gearbest and takes 13% off the price; this promo code is supposed to be good until 12/31/16.  The promo code is: GBCE.  I tried this code out earlier today and it worked for me....

Thanks so much, @jdog.  Just got mine!!

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #54 of 125
i have a question. the hifi 990 price is almost in the same range as cowon plenue d. my question is simple. do you think the xuelin 990 is better. if you didn't heard both of those players then you can answer me based on both devices specs.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #55 of 125
Xuelin's new 780 is now up on TaoBao for pre-orders.  The listed price is ~US $72.00, so it appears it will be less expensive than the new 770C.  At this price, I may eventually get one myself....  Here is the link for the TaoBao pre-sale, looks like the 780 will officially come out in January 2017:  https://world.taobao.com/item/543314869840.htm#detail

Interestingly, if you read the information posted, you'll find that a "drawback" for the 780 is its low price!  Why?  Here is the stated reason: "Another important drawback is that lower prices may not give people a sense of psychological superiority."  Call me crazy, but I'm not sure this a real drawback for me...  Also looks like it will come in 2 color options, black and sliver

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #56 of 125
Got it, folks!!

Physically is very nice and ease to use.  @bzfrank mini-review is spot on (http://www.head-fi.org/t/819886/ihifi-990/15#post_12964716).

Sound-wise is indeed very smooth and refine.  Soundstage is not huge, but is "cozy" for the lack for better word.  It works well with bossa nova and acoustic.

However, I am finding it "too" polite.  It seems not to have the slam and liveliness to make the music move you.  I am hoping it can be better after 100h, as @bzfrank suggests.

I am also a little worried about the battery.  I have not run an actual test yest, but it runs down quite fast.

More to come...

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #57 of 125
Updates:

1.  The firmware in i-hifi is still 0.11beta.

2.  I tried the card that came with it.  I formatted in the player itself, generating a FAT32 card.  I was previously using a 128 GB exFAT card.  Using a different card made it *much* better soundwise.  Yes, I know it makes no sense.  It would either recognize or not, making no difference in sound.  But somehow this seems to be the case.

I need more listening... 
L3000.gif

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #58 of 125
Just received IHIFI 990, noticed a couple of bugs: 

1. Loud enough slam/popping sound in the right headphone ear when both switching off and on.
2. If the device is on and I take out the headphone plug and put it back again, then there is no sound at all. I have to switch off the device and start again and only then the sound appears.

Those who have the device, do you experience the same behaviour? Do you think it is normal?

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #59 of 125
Nope, no loud sounds here on on/off. A low volume click is audible however (Relais?) Nothing that's a problem IMHO.

When I remove the headphone during play it goes automatically into pause. Plugging it in again and press play again, all fine. Of course play needs to be unlocked by a brief press on the power button if you wait long enough for the UI to go into sleep mode.

BTW I tried some DSD64 on the 990 today, works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back