iFi iPurifier 2 - Reviews, Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 22, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #271 of 592
Hi guys I'm a bit confused does the ifi ipurifier do the same thing as the IUSB.

iUSBPower is a super quiet USB power supply. It replaces the noisy 5V rail from a computer with a very quiet 5V rail.

iPurifier2 rebalances, reclocks and regenerates the USB signal so it cleans both the power and data lines. It is widely reported to be even better if used together with an iUSBPower.

nano iUSB3.0 is iUSBPower and iPurifer2 in one box but better still.

micro iUSB3.0 adds a second audio output so two DACs can be used and also two charging outputs for phones, tablets or whatever.

May 22, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #272 of 592
iUSBPower is a super quiet USB power supply. It replaces the noisy 5V rail from a computer with a very quiet 5V rail.

iPurifier2 rebalances, reclocks and regenerates the USB signal so it cleans both the power and data lines. It is widely reported to be even better if used together with an iUSBPower.

nano iUSB3.0 is iUSBPower and iPurifer2 in one box but better still.

micro iUSB3.0 adds a second audio output so two DACs can be used and also two charging outputs for phones, tablets or whatever.

I believe the use case for the second USB out is to connect a drive with your music.

May 25, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #274 of 592
Just received mine today!

Replaced my iPurifier with the 2 in this chain:

Mercury USB cable > iUSB Power Supply > Gemini Dual USB cable > iPurifier(2) > Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC/amp > HD800's

I was extremely pleased with the results. The iPurifier2 stands head and shoulders above its predecessor in every aspect. Spacialization, lushness, separation, detail....everything sounds noticeably better.

Blows the (excellent) Uptone Regen out of the water, too. I do plan to fiddle with pairing them though
smily_headphones1.gif

Great bang for buck. Highly recommend.

Edit:
Wait? iFi recommends putting the iPurifier2 before the iUSB Power Supply? The original was supposed to be last in the chain...

Time to see if it can actually sound any better!!

Is it still necessary to buy Uptone USB regen If I use the iPurifier2 connecting to my ARCAM irDAC (also use Sbooster BOTW linear power supply connecting to my DAC, so cannot pair iPurifier2 with iUSB power Supply.)? I found they are just very similar product, but does it make sound better to do 2 times signal regeneration/re-clock? 

iPurifier2 is more appealing to me, since it doesn't need power supply, otherwise I will consider to equip another better power supply for Uptone regen like sbooster Ultra.

Final question is: does the iPurifier 2 pair well with Sbooster Vbus2? 

Any help would be appreciated,
Louis

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #276 of 592
i awarded it with the editor's choice :

a really really nice and very useful tool in my mastering studio.
As suggested by iFi Audio i've inserted the iPurifer2 into iUSB for even better sonic results.

Jun 5, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #277 of 592
We have way too many choices for usb cleanup...

If spoiled for choice and short on budget do the iPurifier2. If you've got the money and appropriate gear, jump up to the Micro iUSB3.0. It is on a whole other level. LH Labs also has something similar to the iUSB series,  but I've not tested it.

Jun 5, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #278 of 592
So I just received my iPurifier 2 with USB type A connector. I had waited around 4 months to receive it do to the bog log of orders and re-engineering of the type A female connector.  I am using it with my iDSD Micro,  Pangea Audio - USB cable - 24 ga solid silver, and Vanguard USB power injection cable V! (USB Power splitter). Both Usb A cables are connected to, Two jitterbugs, then into my iPurifier 2.

So my signal chain is:

Macbook Pro 2011--->Jitterbug x2---> Usb Cables x2---> iPurifier 2---> iDSD Micro--> Furutech ADL IHP 35HX cable--> AKG K7XX 

I have used both Audirvana and HQ player Up Res'ed to DSD 256. I am going to try it later on a PC with HQ player as I think adding ASIO control sounds better with this DAC Much to my chagrin. Please iFi come out with an iFi ASIO solution that will work with HQ Player on Mac!

I feel like I am getting close to the performance of the iFi USB 3.0 Nano, but I have no way of knowing this without having heard that unit. However, I can say that having the jitterbugs, and after yesterday the iPurifier 2, in my system has made it far more resolving.

After adding the iPurifier 2 last night, Images blur together less, there is greater instrument separation. I am hearing more subtlety with high end frequencies. Acoustic strings especially sound more separated and have an almost silken quality to them, I am definitely getting better bass extension and the midrange has become far more coherent and complex, the jitterbugs tend to add almost a sagging lush sound to the midrange which sounds nice, but isn't accurate and the iPurifier 2 takes that away but keeps the midrange complexity. Images are more forward sounding and have greater image depth and width. The overall fuzziness and shrill or sharp qualities to the music are gone. and there is a slightly darker background, not inky, super black (I don't think the DAC is capable of that given it's SNR rating)  but blacker than it was. 

I did remove the jitterbug just in the signal usb slot, and found that I didn't like the sound at all, It got really grainy and pretty awful sounding again, so I think there is good synergy between the two components and would recommend using them together, or as iFi recommend with which ever one of their 3 USB Power models you might want to choose.

To put it simply, the iPurifier 2 adds dimensionality that wasn't there and clears up a lot of the grainy qualities, plus adds frequency extension. Overall it is a good addition, and I am hopeful burn in will add even more benefits down the line. 

Here are photos of my system incase you wanted to see the configuration. 

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #279 of 592
Same here. Finally got my type A iP2 yesterday after waiting 5 months.

Connected it directly to my iDSD Micro and it immediately solved the problem where my Micro would sometimes lose usb connection (the plastic iFi A to B adapter I'd been using was a long-time bottleneck in my system).

I'm also using a single Jitterbug and a Mercury cable. I like how the iP2 doesn't require separate power (allows me to have one single, segmented usb chain from dac to pc). Didn't think I'd hear much improvement since I built a fanless pc just for audio (the psu has a clean 5V rail and the motherboard has isolated power to the usb ports just for dacs). But the Jitterbug and iP2 each make noticeable improvements. Together they are must haves.

Got the Jitterbug a month ago and was surprised at the difference. Never noticed before how fast cymbal crashes were incorrectly decaying. Listening to 'Curves Ahead' on the Rippingtons' 'Live in LA' album I can now hear the correct, shimmering extension of each cymbal. With the iPurifier 2, so far I'm hearing better layering and more separation than before. Still listening and will post more details later.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #281 of 592

Well iFi just released the Type A connecter IPurifier 2 which is designed to work in the iDSD without an adaptor. Music Direct just shipped mine they were not available until a few days ago. So If you haven't bought one yet just buy the Type A, but to answer your direct question some early adopters did use and adaptor and said it sounded good and it's effects were very audible. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #283 of 592
Don't know if this has been posted already but there are more good words about the iPurifier2 here:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/ifi_ipurifier2_e.html

:cool:

Jun 16, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #284 of 592
Don't know if this has been posted already but there are more good words about the iPurifier2 here:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/ifi_ipurifier2_e.html

cool.gif

Thanks for posting. I just added the link to the Guide section of the iFi iPurifier 2 product page.

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #285 of 592
http://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/usb-adapter-usb-a-female-to-b-female-p6020

Guys would this be better than the stock adapter included with the iDSD? I bought the iPurifier 2 type B already and my iDSD Micro is waiting abroad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back