iFi iPurifier 2 - Reviews, Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 19, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #301 of 592
Thinking about buying the IP2 A version so i can have the ddc a bit further away from the computer, what im wondering is will the second usb cable have any effect on the performance of the IP2 compared to directly connecting with the B version?

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #302 of 592
Thinking about buying the IP2 A version so i can have the ddc a bit further away from the computer, what im wondering is will the second usb cable have any effect on the performance of the IP2 compared to directly connecting with the B version?
I wish I could tell you - I ordered a B version, and ended up with an A version - thankfully I had a second decent USB cable, else I would've been annoyed.

Edit: Whether adding the second cable affects things or not, I can say that yes - I agree with those others on this thread, that what was already a really great sound is now better still...

I'm at the point of being baffled that Redbook can sound so good...

Jun 19, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #303 of 592
I wish I could tell you - I ordered a B version, and ended up with an A version - thankfully I had a second decent USB cable, else I would've been annoyed.

Edit: Whether adding the second cable affects things or not, I can say that yes - I agree with those others on this thread, that what was already a really great sound is now better still...

I'm at the point of being baffled that Redbook can sound so good...

Sounds like a DSP is in there.

I mean that as a compliment. There is a clear sonic change and it sounds very good. I will do a review but this was just a ramble.
I'm puzzled...pleased.
biggrin.gif
...but puzzled
confused.gif

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #304 of 592
Percussion is the main thing that I can tell an improvement on, the start / stop of the skins on drums, and the articulation of cymbals sounds much more accurate now, never realised that it was smeared ever before today...

Snag for me before I start singing from the rooftops is that I also bought, and started using Fidelizer Pro just a couple of hours before installing the iPurifier in my chain - so, the best I can say with accuracy is tha the combination of hardware and software tweaks has brought wonders to my setup.

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #308 of 592
is there anyone who went from the original ipurifier to the ipurifier 2? is there a significant improvement in lower backgroud noise/hissing caused from motherboard? i see they have the active cancellation noise is the biggest difference i guess when looking at specs and comparision, but is it worth it?

i have the ipurifier and iusb , they help alot especially when playing games, lot of video card noise dissapeared but i still get odd hissing when playing a video or when flash plug-in is running, and on idle too, (playing video amplifies the hissing kind off), im thinking it most probably be the motherboard or CPU causing this, not sure if the ipurifier 2 clears out more unwanted frequencies from usb then the ipurifier!

or can it just be the nature of the DAC?

thx

Jun 21, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #309 of 592
  is there anyone who went from the original ipurifier to the ipurifier 2? is there a significant improvement in lower backgroud noise/hissing caused from motherboard? i see they have the active cancellation noise is the biggest difference i guess when looking at specs and comparision, but is it worth it?

i have the ipurifier and iusb , they help alot especially when playing games, lot of video card noise dissapeared but i still get odd hissing when playing a video or when flash plug-in is running, and on idle too, (playing video amplifies the hissing kind off), im thinking it most probably be the motherboard or CPU causing this, not sure if the ipurifier 2 clears out more unwanted frequencies from usb then the ipurifier!

thx

This is kinda strange. I can't tell but there's nothing like that on my ipurifier 2 + idac2 combo.

Jun 21, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #310 of 592

thx

I didn't have the original, but my ipurifier 2 eliminated that noise when used with my laptop and my desktop amp.

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #311 of 592

Hi,

Good question. Answer is 'no.'

The SPDIF iPurifier is a totally different design. It shared with other iPurifiers only the Alu Case and the concept, purify something very dirty, USB, DC, SPDIF...

The best way to look at the iPurifier SPDIF is to see it as a modern day take on the late 1990's "Digital Lense" concept.

Incoming SPDIF is isolated (unless optical, that is isolated any which way), then the waveform is restored using a solid state implementation of the Valve High Definition Digital Input first seen on the AMR DP-777.

Then the restored digital signal is send into a memory buffer.

The same precision adjustable 300 femto second jitter clock found in the DP-777 (and the Retro and iDSD micro and the upcoming iDSD Pro) is used to match the incoming clock average and clock out the data from the buffer - minus any jitter.

What it means is that directly plugged into the input of your DAC you get a SPDIF signal with perfect waveform and as low jitter as a high crystal clock can provide.

It won't get better than that, of course once the purified SPDIF signal enters your DAC, it remains the limit.

Different DAC receiver chips have different inherent jitter, from the common Cirrus Logic Chips with 200pS jitter to the AKM and TI with < 50pS jitter, but - and this is crucial, non of these receivers can remobve audio frequency jitter in the source, due to their PLL design.

To get those 50...200pS jitter you must feed them a zero jitter signal, any added jitter rides through. Of course, the iPurifier SPDIF removes all source jitter and adds very, very little of its own.

Cheers.

When will SPDIF iPurifier ship out to retailers?
Also what accessory come with SPDIF iPurifier?
I know it gets DC power via micro USB.
But do I get accessory to covert DC from ipower to micro USB or from USB(A) of iUSB power head to micro USB?

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #313 of 592
Humm, I still see a number of applications for spdif purifier.
For example I use Fiio X3ii as transport to Rotel RDD-06 via spdif for my room setup.
Also using oppo 83's and PS3 spdif out to Electrocompaniet PD-1 in my living setup.
The thing is if you don't listen from a computer base transport you pretty much stuck with spdif.

Jun 24, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #314 of 592
Looking at the spdif purifier i see it takes power from a usb slot so i hope it's immune to PS noise or atleast ifi makes a ipower version for it.

Hi,

The SPDIF iPurifier ships with the 5v iPOWER. To ensure super-low noise.

Cheers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 25, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #315 of 592

Hi,

The SPDIF iPurifier ships with the 5v iPOWER. To ensure super-low noise.

Cheers.

Wow, that's good news because back at April in "Headphone Matsuri" in Japan a screen was shown by iFi saying iPower is Optional.
Now every SPDIF iPurifier ships with the 5v iPOWER.
I can't wait to try it in my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back