iFi iPurifier 2 - Reviews, Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 3, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #256 of 592

Hi,

The iPurifier2 type A took a while as is a whole new PCB. It isnt just changing the connector! (we soooo wish it was). It is shipping out now for launch in a weeks' time.

The SPDIF iPurifier is built into micro iDSD and Stereo50 - so is aimed at non-iFi users. It ships end May/early June.

Cheers.

Does this mean the standalone SPDIF iPurifier is not part of the iPurifier2 line? In other words, is it based on the original iPurifier design?

May 5, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #257 of 592
  Does this mean the standalone SPDIF iPurifier is not part of the iPurifier2 line? In other words, is it based on the original iPurifier design?

Hi,

Good question. Answer is 'no.'

The SPDIF iPurifier is a totally different design. It shared with other iPurifiers only the Alu Case and the concept, purify something very dirty, USB, DC, SPDIF...

The best way to look at the iPurifier SPDIF is to see it as a modern day take on the late 1990's "Digital Lense" concept.

Incoming SPDIF is isolated (unless optical, that is isolated any which way), then the waveform is restored using a solid state implementation of the Valve High Definition Digital Input first seen on the AMR DP-777.

Then the restored digital signal is send into a memory buffer.

The same precision adjustable 300 femto second jitter clock found in the DP-777 (and the Retro and iDSD micro and the upcoming iDSD Pro) is used to match the incoming clock average and clock out the data from the buffer - minus any jitter.

What it means is that directly plugged into the input of your DAC you get a SPDIF signal with perfect waveform and as low jitter as a high crystal clock can provide.

It won't get better than that, of course once the purified SPDIF signal enters your DAC, it remains the limit.

Different DAC receiver chips have different inherent jitter, from the common Cirrus Logic Chips with 200pS jitter to the AKM and TI with < 50pS jitter, but - and this is crucial, non of these receivers can remobve audio frequency jitter in the source, due to their PLL design.

To get those 50...200pS jitter you must feed them a zero jitter signal, any added jitter rides through. Of course, the iPurifier SPDIF removes all source jitter and adds very, very little of its own.

Cheers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 14, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #258 of 592
With apologies for my newbieness to the tweaks to improve USB audioo, 2 questions please:

1) I have a Micro iDSD and have read that some form of USB purifier is already built in. Will there be much additional benefit in adding the iPurifier 2 into the chain?

2) I also have a RATOC RAL REX KEB-03 DAC / Amp I use with my balanced CIEM, but noise floor seems a bit worse then with the single ended Micro. The REX-KEB-03 input from PC is a USB Mini-B Connector. I use a WireWorld Ultraviolet USB A To Mini-B with the RATOC currently, but am a bit confused as to whether any of the termination options available for iPurifier 2 would work with this setup...or does it ship with adapters?

Thanks for any insight / opinions.

May 14, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #259 of 592
  With apologies for my newbieness to the tweaks to improve USB audioo, 2 questions please:

1) I have a Micro iDSD and have read that some form of USB purifier is already built in. Will there be much additional benefit in adding the iPurifier 2 into the chain?

2) I also have a RATOC RAL REX KEB-03 DAC / Amp I use with my balanced CIEM, but noise floor seems a bit worse then with the single ended Micro. The REX-KEB-03 input from PC is a USB Mini-B Connector. I use a WireWorld Ultraviolet USB A To Mini-B with the RATOC currently, but am a bit confused as to whether any of the termination options available for iPurifier 2 would work with this setup...or does it ship with adapters?

Thanks for any insight / opinions.

Hi there.

1) Yes, there is a room for improvement. iDSD Micro has iPurifier (1) technologies built-in. iPurifier 2 is much more advanced product, doing active optimizations, so you should give it a try.

2) Yes, iP2 can be ordered in number of versions. And it also comes with this USB B -> USB A adapter.

Good luck!

May 14, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #260 of 592

Hi there.

1) Yes, there is a room for improvement. iDSD Micro has iPurifier (1) technologies built-in. iPurifier 2 is much more advanced product, doing active optimizations, so you should give it a try.

2) Yes, iP2 can be ordered in number of versions. And it also comes with this USB B -> USB A adapter.

Good luck!

Thank you, hfflt. Very helpful. The 2nd version down looks like it may be a USB-Mini B.Where in the chain should iP2 be placed, directly into PC before the cable or directly into the DAC / Amp? Still trying to wrap my brain more fully around optimal use scenario, and I appreciate your knowledge and patience.

May 14, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #261 of 592
Thank you, hfflt. Very helpful. The 2nd version down looks like it may be a USB-Mini B.Where in the chain should iP2 be placed, directly into PC before the cable or directly into the DAC / Amp? Still trying to wrap my brain more fully around optimal use scenario, and I appreciate your knowledge and patience.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784983/ifi-ipurifier-2-reviews-impressions-and-discussion-thread/240#post_12511529

May 14, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #262 of 592
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784983/ifi-ipurifier-2-reviews-impressions-and-discussion-thread/240#post_12511529

Thanks, hfflt....I will study up. Have a great weekend.

May 14, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #263 of 592
Actually, second version is USB-C, the newest of all the standarts. The first is Micro USB, not Mini USB as needed in your case. Yes, this is tricky to catch all of them.

So, currently there are no ways to implement this purifier in your rig. Well, unless you will use a bunch of adaptors, what could harm the signal. That's a purist's point of view.

First of all, consider upgrading your amp/dac combo. Personally I am using iDAC2 + iPurifier 2 combo and this is extremely smooth and refined sounding rig.

May 15, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #264 of 592
May 21, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #266 of 592
May 21, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #267 of 592
My set up is macbook pro -> Mercury cable -> iPurifier 2 -> iDSD micro -> iCan micro SE -> ZMF x vibros

I use it in a room where ambient temperature is about 28-29 degrees celsius.

I notice the iPurifier 2 gets really hot! like i can only leave my finger on it for a maximum of 3 seconds. In contrast, i can leave my hand on the iCan micro SE for an eternity and it only feels like a warm cup of coffee.

Does nobody else's iPurifier get this hot?

May 22, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #268 of 592
  My set up is macbook pro -> Mercury cable -> iPurifier 2 -> iDSD micro -> iCan micro SE -> ZMF x vibros

I use it in a room where ambient temperature is about 28-29 degrees celsius.

I notice the iPurifier 2 gets really hot! like i can only leave my finger on it for a maximum of 3 seconds. In contrast, i can leave my hand on the iCan micro SE for an eternity and it only feels like a warm cup of coffee.

Does nobody else's iPurifier get this hot?

I have a similar ifi Audio set up but also have an iUSB and my iP2 doesn't heat up.

May 22, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #269 of 592
My OPPO HA1 gets hot...
I run> Sammy S5 / usb audio player pro/ otg/ Supra AB/ ifi ipurifier 2 /INTONA nf/ WIREWORLD/ OPPO HA1. Not even warm.
I hear it can get lukewarm warm...
Mines chilled...
Good luck though
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back