iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 18, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #5,911 of 9,047
  That's interesting. I experience this only at the beginning of the first song. Not a glitch after that. Even if I pause the song, wait for a minute then resume, no problem. Again with PC,no problem. Just the beginning of the first song with phone or Sony A17 Strange...

Strange strange strange! I reverted back to firmware 4.04 and the fade-in problem disappeared. 

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #5,912 of 9,047
Strange strange strange! I reverted back to firmware 4.04 and the fade-in problem disappeared. 

Lol, Dr. Strange, is that you ? :D

$288, that couldn't have been the Micro was it? At that price I would have to assume it was almost below wholesale pricing if not close to cost of manufacture/distribution. I would ask the vendor if they can prorate shipping. For instance, if anybody else gets free shipping in the 48 states, that implies that a unit being shipped to Hawaii should travel free for the customer up until the point where it leaves the continent. So if say it leaves continental US at California and the cost of shipping to Hawaii is $38, but shipping to a California resident is $22 you should only pay the difference in shipping if you ask me.

Yeah, I think he got confused with the nano line

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #5,913 of 9,047
  I plan on ordering the 2nd run of the Liquid Carbon. If I do RCA to RCA feeding from the Micro, it is going to be inferior to XLR to XLR balanced input to output?

Actually, LC has a phase splitter for RCA input that will produce a balanced signal.  Stillhart posted his test result of A/B testing between xlr and rca input and found minimal sound quality difference.  

Apr 18, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #5,914 of 9,047

iFi USA

Official distribution handover

Southport, UK – 18th April 2016

iFi has taken over distribution from Avatar Acoustics.

AMR/iFi would like to thank Avatar Acoustics for their immense contribution since 2007. The new launches, product awards and national dealer network is second-to-none. Avatar Acoustics will always remain much respected.

iFi USA; a wholly-owned subsidiary of AMR/iFi will handle the expanding retail network and all the demands hitherto required of such a major operation. It is fully committed to serving our customers as we enter the next growth phase.

For further details, please email admin@ifi-audio.com

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 18, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #5,915 of 9,047
  $288, that couldn't have been the Micro was it? At that price I would have to assume it was almost below wholesale pricing if not close to cost of manufacture/distribution. I would ask the vendor if they can prorate shipping. For instance, if anybody else gets free shipping in the 48 states, that implies that a unit being shipped to Hawaii should travel free for the customer up until the point where it leaves the continent. So if say it leaves continental US at California and the cost of shipping to Hawaii is $38, but shipping to a California resident is $22 you should only pay the difference in shipping if you ask me.

Well seeing as I've now emailed 3 companies, none who have got back to me, it seems relatively unlikely such a deal might be struck. The pricing I got was from CamelCamelCamel who track price history of Amazon items. 

Disappointing I have been unable to get an email response. I guess I could call, but doesn't fill me with confidence that potential issues with warranty will be handled efficiently. 

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #5,916 of 9,047
Well seeing as I've now emailed 3 companies, none who have got back to me, it seems relatively unlikely such a deal might be struck. The pricing I got was from CamelCamelCamel who track price history of Amazon items. 

Disappointing I have been unable to get an email response. I guess I could call, but doesn't fill me with confidence that potential issues with warranty will be handled efficiently. 

:wink:

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #5,917 of 9,047
Just wanted to share my little work setup I have with the iDSD. I recently bought a custom Elijah Audio USB cable on eBay for relativey cheap (I was the only bidder and got it at reserve price) that had a female A type termination. It's a split cable (power and data) but single-ended on each side.

My chain is iPad (steaming Tidal) > Apple CCK > Schiit PYST USB > Schiit Wyrd > custom USB cable > iDSD > Ether C.

Sounds great! I plan on trying out the iPurifier2 in this chain when I get one in.

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #5,920 of 9,047
I'm saying this because it looks like I will be unfortunately selling my HD800S due to fit issues.

The Ifi idsd micro made the 800S a lot more musical, liquid and ear pleasing than my 02 or 02/ODAC (I borrowed).

With the o2 and ODAC I still heard moments of brightness (an unpleasant amount) whereas with the idsd it NEVER happened. Absolutely love the two together and if I keep the 800S I would have no intention of changing that setup at all.

Very slight decrease in soundstage and low level details - but the overall presentation was absolutely awesome.

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #5,921 of 9,047
I'm saying this because it looks like I will be unfortunately selling my HD800S due to fit issues.

The Ifi idsd micro made the 800S a lot more musical, liquid and ear pleasing than my 02 or 02/ODAC (I borrowed).

With the o2 and ODAC I still heard moments of brightness (an unpleasant amount) whereas with the idsd it NEVER happened. Absolutely love the two together and if I keep the 800S I would have no intention of changing that setup at all.

Very slight decrease in soundstage and low level details - but the overall presentation was absolutely awesome.

So what headphone will you be going with? I recently picked up a TH 600 and I'm pretty pleased with how the Micro meshes with it.

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #5,923 of 9,047
I'd love to hear the ifi micro with my th900. I'm getting a micro one day in the near future.

I owned a TH 900 not long ago and it would indeed a pretty sick combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back