iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 23, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #5,942 of 9,047
Damn, I'm glad to hear all of these pro-Micro opinions among those who have heard/had both as I was close to trying the Mojo (which I'm sure is awesome as well). I was lucky in that my local dealer had a Micro in stock so I just hoped on the bus and within an hour I was back home with my new Micro.

Apr 23, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #5,943 of 9,047
I'm going to have to find out for ma self. Ifi is back on the list again.

The Micro does seem to be pretty sweet and the form factor is solid as well. I do prefer the looks of the M9xx and that would be on my short list as well. Before getting the iDSD I tried to snag a used M9xx from a head-fi member, but he preferred to sell in the US. Kind of sucked as I had cash in hand and he allowed a US based buyer 24 hours to produce cash instead of just selling to me. I kind of get it, but at the same time it is stupid as Canada is the biggest trading partner of the US with an almost transparent border for shipping goods.

I just got my TH 600 from a Texas member and if you can believe this, my TH 600 arrived in 4 days, quicker than a headphone purchase the Texas member made from another Texas member! Crazy.

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #5,944 of 9,047
I'm going to have to find out for ma self. Ifi is back on the list again.

Do it, do it, do it.

Its a great amp, and 4000mw!!!  you know what i'm saying 
wink.gif

Question for the iFi guys.  

You guys plan on coming out with something thats really portable and has a **** ton of power?

Apr 24, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #5,947 of 9,047
Guys, I'm thinking about iDSD Micro to use with my Earsonics Velvet, I have some questions but I couldn't find any answers.

1) How to charge iDSD?
I'm not a portable guy but people keep recommending iDSD, so I probably will buy it for my desktop use. Do I need to charge it when using it with a PC? No one has discussed(or I couldn't find any info) how long it works, how can you charge it, how long the charging takes. I'm an Audiophile and also a gamer. If it's charge drains when I'm in an online game, it would be really bad. 
confused.gif

2) USB or SPDIF?
I also have Coax and Toslink options on my PC. But they only support 24/192. I think, I souldn't be using that but did anyone used it? How it sounds? Same?
I also have a very expensive mainboard that provides a clean 5V from USB's. So it's not a normal, dirty USB that I will use iDSD with. What's your opinion on that?

The last one is a general question actually;

3) What's diffrence on sound that output impedance does?
I'm now using Schiit Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2. It has a 75Ohm output impedance. So I looked into Mojo and Hugo. They have 0.75Ohm of output impedance. And finally iDSD, it has 1Ohm of output impedance. What is the diffrence?

Thank you.

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #5,948 of 9,047
  Guys, I'm thinking about iDSD Micro to use with my Earsonics Velvet, I have some questions but I couldn't find any answers.

1) How to charge iDSD?
I'm not a portable guy but people keep recommending iDSD, so I probably will buy it for my desktop use. Do I need to charge it when using it with a PC? No one has discussed(or I couldn't find any info) how long it works, how can you charge it, how long the charging takes. I'm an Audiophile and also a gamer. If it's charge drains when I'm in an online game, it would be really bad. 
confused.gif

2) USB or SPDIF?
I also have Coax and Toslink options on my PC. But they only support 24/192. I think, I souldn't be using that but did anyone used it? How it sounds? Same?
I also have a very expensive mainboard that provides a clean 5V from USB's. So it's not a normal, dirty USB that I will use iDSD with. What's your opinion on that?

The last one is a general question actually;

3) What's diffrence on sound that output impedance does?
I'm now using Schiit Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2. It has a 75Ohm output impedance. So I looked into Mojo and Hugo. They have 0.75Ohm of output impedance. And finally iDSD, it has 1Ohm of output impedance. What is the diffrence?

Thank you.

1) when connected to your PC via USB it charges automatically via USB (as long as you connect iDSD first and then switch it on) - depending on the juice the headphones drain it might still use some battery - but based on your signature you don't have any of these monsters (like HE-6) that could consume more than USB can provide. I have never seen iDSD being drained while connected to USB. It takes a lot to drain a 4,800mAh battery while also having a 500mA USB power coming in. 

2) Use USB, the iDSD has a power cleaner (iPurifier)  build in - you should be fine. If you have any static - you can use SPDIF optical - guaranteed no static. (then use a USB charger to keep iDSD charged)

3) Your Magni2 doesn't have 75 Ohm output impedance. It has 0.2 Ohm output impedance, so in line with Mojo, Hugo etc. . The 75Ohm are the output impedance of the RCA out from your Modi2 (line out to amp) - so all is good.

Cheers!

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #5,949 of 9,047
I just got the micro a week ago. Dell XPS 15 -> Micro -> LCD 3. At very low volume, when you are just turning in the volume knob, there is channel imbalance to the left. That's normal right? Once I'm on the listening volume that imbalance resolved.

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #5,950 of 9,047
I just got the micro a week ago. Dell XPS 15 -> Micro -> LCD 3. At very low volume, when you are just turning in the volume knob, there is channel imbalance to the left. That's normal right? Once I'm on the listening volume that imbalance resolved.

Normal.

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #5,951 of 9,047
@CFGamescape,

I see in your profile that you have Mr Speakers Ether C. I am very interested i getting those myself, unfortunately no dealer here in Sweden so i need to import. What are your impressions with Ether Cs and the Micro?

Apr 26, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #5,952 of 9,047

:wink:

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #5,955 of 9,047
  What is the cable used to connect the zx2 to the micro?.. any links to where i can get one..thanks

Sony WMC-NWH10. It is an official Sony accessories and you can find it on many places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back