iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 17, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #5,896 of 9,047
  If the price is the same, I would go Amazon as when they fulfill the order their return policy is excellent and they even pay return shipping. At least they have for me every time I needed to do a return.

I got my Micro last year from Avatar Acoustics fulfilled by Amazon. They've since updated their site for direct orders.

When I emailed iFi about the iPower, Avatar was one of the few places they recommended I contact. When I was ready to buy the 12V version last month, it isn't on Amazon and Music Direct still shows 4-6 weeks. Called Avatar and they had a few in stock. Placed my order and had the 12V iPower in a few days with free shipping.

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #5,897 of 9,047

I got my Micro last year from Avatar Acoustics fulfilled by Amazon. They've since updated their site for direct orders.

When I emailed iFi about the iPower, Avatar was one of the few places they recommended I contact. When I was ready to buy the 12V version last month, it isn't on Amazon and Music Direct still shows 4-6 weeks. Called Avatar and they had a few in stock. Placed my order and had the 12V iPower in a few days with free shipping.

Wow, that is good. What type of return policy do they have, because that can be equally as important.

Apr 17, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #5,898 of 9,047
Not sure of their direct site return policy (haven't had to return anything to them yet) but, as you mentioned before, anything fulfilled by amazon is the easiest to return. Avatar still has a good presence there (at least for iFi stuff that's been out for a while):

https://www.amazon.com/s?marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=ANRTP1S6IG2HW&merchant=ANRTP1S6IG2HW&redirect=true

IDSD goes in/out of stock for them but (unlike other amazon sellers) prices are what they should be. Some accessories are $5-10 less on their site though (like $99 for a Mercury cable).

Apr 17, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #5,899 of 9,047
I plan on ordering the 2nd run of the Liquid Carbon. If I do RCA to RCA feeding from the Micro, it is going to be inferior to XLR to XLR balanced input to output?

Apr 17, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #5,900 of 9,047
  Not sure of their direct site return policy (haven't had to return anything to them yet) but, as you mentioned before, anything fulfilled by amazon is the easiest to return. Avatar still has a good presence there (at least for iFi stuff that's been out for a while):

https://www.amazon.com/s?marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=ANRTP1S6IG2HW&merchant=ANRTP1S6IG2HW&redirect=true

IDSD goes in/out of stock for them but (unlike other amazon sellers) prices are what they should be. Some accessories are $5-10 less on their site though (like $99 for a Mercury cable).

Avatar are great, excellent service and very easy to work with.  I would have no concern ordering from them again.

Apr 17, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #5,901 of 9,047
Just looked on Amazon and Avatar do not openly disclose their return policy forcing people to contact them to get details. In my experience that means you pay return shipping and they will likely charge a restocking fee. I don't know that as fact, I may contact them to see, but usually when your return policy is really customer focused you brag about it as opposed to placing a veil of secrecy over it. I hope I'm wrong, and even if I am right that doesn't have to matter to others as much as it does to me, but I do like to be able to try without getting hit by the dreaded restocking fee. I am going to contact them and ask.

Apr 17, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #5,902 of 9,047
I plan on ordering the 2nd run of the Liquid Carbon. If I do RCA to RCA feeding from the Micro, it is going to be inferior to XLR to XLR balanced input to output?

RCA on the micro IDSD is the same as Single-ended, because they both share the same ground. So in a short answer to your question, Yes

Apr 17, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #5,904 of 9,047

I've contacted them and will see what happens.

I did as well, let's hope the policy is fair. I can handle paying return shipping, but not a restocking fee.

Apr 17, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #5,905 of 9,047
  Just looked on Amazon and Avatar do not openly disclose their return policy forcing people to contact them to get details. In my experience that means you pay return shipping and they will likely charge a restocking fee. I don't know that as fact, I may contact them to see, but usually when your return policy is really customer focused you brag about it as opposed to placing a veil of secrecy over it. I hope I'm wrong, and even if I am right that doesn't have to matter to others as much as it does to me, but I do like to be able to try without getting hit by the dreaded restocking fee. I am going to contact them and ask.

If a item sold by Amazon or Fulfilled by Amazon it follows Amazon customer policies as I understand it.

Apr 17, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #5,907 of 9,047

OK well I was about to order the Ifi Micro DSD from Amazon (My preferred supplier) when I realized I don't get prime shipping. $35 for shipping, but in the suggested for you area was the Chord Mojo and reviews for this are pretty good as well, but is $599 and free shipping. 

As best I can tell it's probably pretty good for my CANS (T1 and HD650), but the IFI is brighter sounding, and the IFI has better battery life. The Chord is MUCH smaller, and has worse battery life. 

Anyone compared the two and can make a commnt?

Was surprised I couldn't find a better deal than $499 on the IFI, but 2 places I emailed didn't even respond!

I prefer micro IDSD over the Mojo. To my preferences, the warmth, the dynamic, soundstage on the IDSD micro is better

I would agree with this as well. Yes the Mojo is about a 1/3 the size but the Micro has way more features. I demoed both for a tour and bought the Micro.

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #5,908 of 9,047
  If a item sold by Amazon or Fulfilled by Amazon it follows Amazon customer policies as I understand it.

Yes, that would be the case, and that is why I'm saying in this case the vendor's policies may not be so customer friendly. I always look to get stuff from Amazon they sell or fulfill for exactly that reason.

Apr 18, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #5,909 of 9,047
Is Adorama ok ? They are doing free freight @ $499. 
Amazon apparently had them at $288 in October last year, shame there isn't a deal currently on!
Ugh, sadly free shipping only applies to 48 States, not Hawaii.

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #5,910 of 9,047
  Is Adorama ok ? They are doing free freight @ $499. 
Amazon apparently had them at $288 in October last year, shame there isn't a deal currently on!
Ugh, sadly free shipping only applies to 48 States, not Hawaii.

$288, that couldn't have been the Micro was it? At that price I would have to assume it was almost below wholesale pricing if not close to cost of manufacture/distribution. I would ask the vendor if they can prorate shipping. For instance, if anybody else gets free shipping in the 48 states, that implies that a unit being shipped to Hawaii should travel free for the customer up until the point where it leaves the continent. So if say it leaves continental US at California and the cost of shipping to Hawaii is $38, but shipping to a California resident is $22 you should only pay the difference in shipping if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back