iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 16, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #5,881 of 9,047
Also, maybe unrelated but sometimes I'm losing a split second of the beginning of the first songs in the playlist. Does it happen to anyone?

This means your iDSD has entered sleep mode. It takes half a second to wake up.

Apr 16, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #5,882 of 9,047

Mine have this feature/problem as well, its not sleep mode, I loose half a second of playback happens after just 10 seconds of no data on the USB. Got some lame answer from ifi that i could just run a program in the background that would output empty audio constantly. There is not indication on the device or any of the programs that it is in some kind of USB off mode.

this has happened with all the firmwares i have tried so far, and both on PC and Phone

Apr 16, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #5,883 of 9,047
So did a little further testing and with a half hour of music playing the battery on my phone went down by 3%. The same time period with nothing happening on the phone and the screen off (I also play my music with the screen off) the battery on my phone went down by only 1% so clearly the Micro will more or less triple the hit to your phone battery even when it is playing in battery mode (meaning turning the Micro on first before the OTG connection is made). I assume this is not actually the Micro drawing power but simply what happens when you play music and the USB out circuitry is engaged so this does make sense. I guess my next little test will be to play music for half and hour with no OTG functionality and see how much the battery drops. Anyway, it doesn't appear to be a significant issue, just the reality of using OTG on the phone.

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #5,884 of 9,047

Mine have this feature/problem as well, its not sleep mode, I loose half a second of playback happens after just 10 seconds of no data on the USB. Got some lame answer from ifi that i could just run a program in the background that would output empty audio constantly. There is not indication on the device or any of the programs that it is in some kind of USB off mode.

this has happened with all the firmwares i have tried so far, and both on PC and Phone

This could be power management on the PC putting USB ports into a low power state when they go quiet. I've seen this mentioned elsewhere along with details of how to stop it happening.

It went something like this:

> Computer Management > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Generic USB Hub

You will have several Generic USB Hubs and you need to find the one that your DAC is attached to or you could do all of them.

> Generic USB Hub > Right-Click > Properties > Power Management > Untick the relevant box

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #5,885 of 9,047

That's interesting. I experience this only at the beginning of the first song. Not a glitch after that. Even if I pause the song, wait for a minute then resume, no problem. Again with PC,no problem. Just the beginning of the first song with phone or Sony A17 Strange...

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #5,886 of 9,047
> Computer Management > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Generic USB Hub

You will have several Generic USB Hubs and you need to find the one that your DAC is attached to or you could do all of them.

> Generic USB Hub > Right-Click > Properties > Power Management > Untick the relevant box

Already did this and it doesn't help, could just disable power saving in general but that is pretty suicidal on a laptop.

Basically it should be the Drivers provided by iFi that tells the PC that it is not allowed to sleep that port/device , i know this is also an issue on some onboard pc soundcards where people have found registry hacks disable the feature, but it requires that the driver has some kind of awareness in regards to sleep modes to activate/deactivate it

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #5,887 of 9,047
OK well I was about to order the Ifi Micro DSD from Amazon (My preferred supplier) when I realized I don't get prime shipping. $35 for shipping, but in the suggested for you area was the Chord Mojo and reviews for this are pretty good as well, but is $599 and free shipping. 

As best I can tell it's probably pretty good for my CANS (T1 and HD650), but the IFI is brighter sounding, and the IFI has better battery life. The Chord is MUCH smaller, and has worse battery life. 

Anyone compared the two and can make a commnt?

Was surprised I couldn't find a better deal than $499 on the IFI, but 2 places I emailed didn't even respond!

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #5,895 of 9,047
If the price is the same, I would go Amazon as when they fulfill the order their return policy is excellent and they even pay return shipping. At least they have for me every time I needed to do a return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back