iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 10, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #3,451 of 9,047

Sure most of my USB DACs working out-of-the-box with my Samsung S4 on Android 4.4.4 (5.0.2 don't change anything). But the micro iDSD uses XMOS which needs proper driver support (you need to install on Windows drivers too, it's not plug & play - the same with Anroid). USB Host mode only mean basic need for USB audio, but dosn't mean all DACs will run. The drivers are the problem. My Sony Z1 needs UAPP as well, like my Samsung S4. For example with the Sony Z3 or the Samsung Note 4 the vendors put some OEM driver into this devices for USB audio, so e.g. a Note 4 with Android 4.4.x is able to play trough all apps to the micro iDSD without problems an no need for UAPP.

Actually it has nothing to do with XMOS at all - the reason for driver is because Microsoft refuses to include USB Audio Class 2 driver in their OS, which is required for all USB DAC that runs beyond 96kHz. For example, Linux and Mac both have included the driver from very early on (around mid-2010, and USB Audio Class 2 was officially released around 2009 ) into their OS and thus you don't need to install it separately. Again, it has nothing to do with XMOS, as any USB DAC that runs over 96kHz needs USB Audio Class 2 driver, regardless of whether it is based on XMOS or not. The only difference is Microsoft has consistently refused to add it to their OS, for no good reason no less.

Now you might wonder - since Android is based on Linux, why doesn't it supports USB DAC natively? Well, it is because at the beginning, Google never thought anyone would need to run an USB DAC on a smartphone, so they stripped the driver away to slim down Android (*also, don't forget early Android hardware is pretty weak and probably won't run an USB DAC anyway). In fact, it is not till Android 3.1 (around 2012) that Google started to include USB Host mode (aka OTG) , but only for hosting external memory and nothing much else (*USB audio is mentioned in 3.1, but Google left it blank for smartphone maker to figure it out on their own). It is not until now (Android 5 Lolipop) that a basic USB Audio Class 1 driver is officially included. Long story short - Samsung actually has included a custom USB Class 1 driver as early as S3 and Note 2 since 2012. IIRC, HTC is the second smartphone maker to do so, around 2013 on their M7. Sony on the other hand only introduces their USB Audio driver since Z3 (but they also make it available for Z2, after a firmware update in September 2014), though it is a USB Class 2 driver instead of Class 1 driver and therefore it natively supports iDSD without a problem. All other previous Sony only has host mode for memory, not audio.

Now, to put the long story short - each implementation of Android is different, as intended by Google to allow for greater freedom for the smartphone maker to implement whichever feature they want.That's why the same version of Andorid works with USB DAC on some models but not on others. For example, Xperia Z2 on 4.4.3 after the Sept 2014 update supports USB DAC natively, yet your S4 on 4.4.4. doesn't. But as you have said, some of the basic requirement must be met for it to work, and host mode for audio is one of such requirement. My point is that, without audio host mode, there is little to no chance that USB DAC will work, regardless of what firmware iDSD is running. Even with audio host mode, there is still no guarantee that it will work. But at least it might work with simpler, USB Audio Class 1 DAC, such as those based on PCM270x chips.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #3,452 of 9,047
Tried the trial version and UAPP works perfectly. I'll be buying the full version shortly.

Now able to playback using the Micro with my Note 3 at correct, different bit-rates and it sounds great!

Shame Google isn't taking Android usb audio more seriously (UAPP has all the settings that should be stock by now).

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #3,453 of 9,047
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a gently-used but otherwise in great condition iDSD Micro and so far very happy with it, listening to music on it almost all the time during work and after. The ability to convert MP3 to DSD512 using Foobar/ASIO plug-ins is really impressive and that is what I usually prefer when listening to my MP3s with my home laptop accessing music via home network.

I find the ultra-wide filter works the best for some jazz and acoustic styles but the standard(middle) filter suits better for rock/pop. Foobar using ASIO drivers really shines and gives the best bitperfect sound bypassing the Windows audio drivers completely. The resulting MP3 sounds awesome, very detailed and analog-like.

However, my work computer is connected via VPN and I cannot access MP3 directly from home network when in VPN mode. Therefore, I just listen to my mp3s from the Subsonic client, the server is installed on my main home computer.The Subsonic client is a browser-based site running at my server and it plays music using a built-in Flash player directly from the browser, other clients could be used, such as phones, etc. I could not figure out how to launch Foobar directly from Subsonic to enable streaming playlisted songs and convert them into DSD512, not sure if that is possible to do at all.

Just a couple of questions... I am still new to iDSD and am seeking suggestions which sampling rate/filters to select when playing from Subsonic flash player.
When changing the Sampling Rate under Sounds>Advanced tab to 24bit/192kHz - it does the upsampling from 44.1 to 192kHz and the light on the Micro changes from Green to Yellow. However, I cannot seem to benefit anything if I keep the sampling at default 16/44.1 or 24/41.1 which is what most of my MP3 are (compressed from 44.1). The sample rate settings have not effect with the Foobar under ASIO/DSD mode, because it bypasses the Windows audio drivers completely which is good.

Also, changing the filter options on my iDSD from Bitperfect to Standard, etc... does not seem to do anything with mp3 and Subsonic, at least I cannot notice any difference between them when listening to MP3s. However, I can hear huge difference when changing filters in DSD mode as already mentioned before.

Which sampling rate should I choose in the Sounds panel to play MP3 directly via Subsonic? Not sure if the filters make any difference in this mode at all.

Also - when listening to CDs or uncompressed WAVs, FLAC type of files, would it be better to switch to ARM iFi ASIO mode from DSD and play them as PCM without converting to DSD as recommended by iFi? Any other suggestions, recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #3,454 of 9,047
Hi,

I've just start using my new iDSD Micro and have two issues:

1) When I turn on XBASS function nothing happen. The other option, the 3D works fine.

2) Looks like the left channel has more volume. When I use very low volumes the sound only is audible in the left channel and no sound in the right headphone.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #3,455 of 9,047

1) When I turn on XBASS function nothing happen. The other option, the 3D works fine.

2) Looks like the left channel has more volume. When I use very low volumes the sound only is audible in the left channel and no sound in the right headphone.

the xbass I find is very subtle, but it is there
When the volume knob on my unit is at 9 o'clock or below in normal power mode, I also find the right channel is dead or close too it

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #3,456 of 9,047
  Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Which phones are you using? The xBass on Micro is pretty subtle and I barely notice the difference myself even with planar phones. I just use it as a DAC only with an external PPA as an amplifier connected in direct mode. I do not care much about 3D because it sounds interesting but still changes how the original music sounds. Plus the pre-amp mode goes through an extra layer of amplification that slightly but still adds some distortion to the chain.
My PPA has a permanent boost for bass that adds some real analog authority to the sound and I installed OPA637AP in it for more musical and laid-back sound. The built-in amp in Micro is pretty good too but it is not that great when compared to a dedicated audiophile Class A amp. It is still detailed and clean, but is a little on a lean side, has average soundstage and sounds more like a digital amplifier. Unless you are using Micro with an external amp - I would suggest that it is paired with one.

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #3,457 of 9,047
I'm thinking in replace the iDSD Micro, but I see that others have the same volume balance Issue, May be a Design Issue ?

With respect to the 3D and the XBASS, I can listen a subtle different with the 3D but with the XBASS I can't heard any different at all? .

I tried with : 

Philips Fidelio M1 (it's has enough bass but no difference).

AKG K501 ( It's lack of Bass and turn on and no audible change).

AD900X (It's lack a little Bass and no change too).

In all the Post I can read the incredible 3D and XBASS function and ... Where are ?

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #3,458 of 9,047
  Also, changing the filter options on my iDSD from Bitperfect to Standard, etc... does not seem to do anything with mp3 and Subsonic, at least I cannot notice any difference between them when listening to MP3s. However, I can hear huge difference when changing filters in DSD mode as already mentioned before.

Which sampling rate should I choose in the Sounds panel to play MP3 directly via Subsonic? Not sure if the filters make any difference in this mode at all.

A few factors will affect how well you will notice the difference in filters: first, the quality of your music, especially with lossy codec. If the actual detail has been thrown away by the compression of the codec, then there won't be much left for iDSD to work with. Secondly, how resolving is your headphone. Lastly, how good is your hearing, by nature and by training (*and I am not joking). Sometime it takes a person awhile to really notice the fine detail in gears, and sometime it is due to hearing damage (even if you are not aware of) that you might never notice much difference.

I'll suggest picking the highest sampling rate in the menu.

I'm thinking in replace the iDSD Micro, but I see that others have the same volume balance Issue, May be a Design Issue ?

Channel imbalance in lower volume is a common problem of all analog potentiometer. The only pots that don't suffer from such issue are either digital / hybrid (*which have their own set of problems) and very expensive one (*and it can be very very expensive and rather large in size). In many case, it is basically a compromise on which type of pot a designer want to use. The lesser evil, so to speak.

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #3,459 of 9,047

A few factors will affect how well you will notice the difference in filters: first, the quality of your music, especially with lossy codec. If the actual detail has been thrown away by the compression of the codec, then there won't be much left for iDSD to work with. Secondly, how resolving is your headphone. Lastly, how good is your hearing, by nature and by training (*and I am not joking). Sometime it takes a person awhile to really notice the fine detail in gears, and sometime it is due to hearing damage (even if you are not aware of) that you might never notice much difference.

I'll suggest picking the highest sampling rate in the menu.

Channel imbalance in lower volume is a common problem of all analog potentiometer. The only pots that don't suffer from such issue are either digital / hybrid (*which have their own set of problems) and very expensive one (*and it can be very very expensive and rather large in size). In many case, it is basically a compromise on which type of pot a designer want to use. The lesser evil, so to speak.

Thanks, I'm in Hifi audio from about one year maybe my ear its not able or not sufficient trainned to listen the differences, I'll work hard to learn.
I think that the different with the filters would be stronger. And the Xbass is not audible for me off course. I can heard a little POP when I turn on/off the filter the same with the 3D but it's only thing that I listen :wink:

Thanks

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #3,460 of 9,047
  Tried the trial version and UAPP works perfectly. I'll be buying the full version shortly.

Now able to playback using the Micro with my Note 3 at correct, different bit-rates and it sounds great!

Shame Google isn't taking Android usb audio more seriously (UAPP has all the settings that should be stock by now).

Glad to hear that UAPP works properly on your Note 3 to the micro. Knowing this helps with my buying decision.

As for Android USB audio support, I think ClieOS's post above sums it up fairly well. The lack of universal compatibility is the price we pay for the flexibility of Android. Personally, I'll gladly pay that price over being told what I can and can't do by crApple
etysmile.gif
(I'll never forgive them for turning my iPad2 into a slug after updating to iOS7/8 - no way back).

ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Now, to put the long story short - each implementation of Android is different, as intended by Google to allow for greater freedom for the smartphone maker to implement whichever feature they want.That's why the same version of Andorid works with USB DAC on some models but not on others. For example, Xperia Z2 on 4.4.3 after the Sept 2014 update supports USB DAC natively, yet your S4 on 4.4.4. doesn't. But as you have said, some of the basic requirement must be met for it to work, and host mode for audio is one of such requirement. My point is that, without audio host mode, there is little to no chance that USB DAC will work, regardless of what firmware iDSD is running. Even with audio host mode, there is still no guarantee that it will work. But at least it might work with simpler, USB Audio Class 1 DAC, such as those based on PCM270x chips.

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #3,461 of 9,047

Which phones are you using? The xBass on Micro is pretty subtle and I barely notice the difference myself even with planar phones. I just use it as a DAC only with an external PPA as an amplifier connected in direct mode. I do not care much about 3D because it sounds interesting but still changes how the original music sounds. Plus the pre-amp mode goes through an extra layer of amplification that slightly but still adds some distortion to the chain.
My PPA has a permanent boost for bass that adds some real analog authority to the sound and I installed OPA637AP in it for more musical and laid-back sound. The built-in amp in Micro is pretty good too but it is not that great when compared to a dedicated audiophile Class A amp. It is still detailed and clean, but is a little on a lean side, has average soundstage and sounds more like a digital amplifier. Unless you are using Micro with an external amp - I would suggest that it is paired with one.

Excellent summation of the ifi micro's headphone section and is what I experience as well.  Why they did not install two levels of Xbass and offer a class A mode of operation to better sonically match the outstanding DAC section makes no sense to me.

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #3,462 of 9,047
Excellent summation of the ifi micro's headphone section and is what I experience as well.  Why they did not install two levels of Xbass and offer a class A mode of operation to better sonically match the outstanding DAC section makes no sense to me.

Because there is only that much space and battery life you can sqeeze into a device before it becomes impractical, and iDSD is already not a small device. Also, analog section usually needs more parts compared to the digital section when the design gets more complex.

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #3,463 of 9,047
  Beta firmware - Testing Solutions to Spotify/Tidal streaming on Android and DSD256 on MAC

Warning. 

Please try this only if you are comfortable with upgrading the firmware on your nano iDSD/micro iDSD/Retro Stereo 50 Beta firmware allows one to:

1) Version 4.8 Beta - Output audio for Android if you encounter lack of compatibility with Device X and Spotify/Tidal* etc., USB Host mode remains required. 

1. Devices tested so far Sony Xperia Z Ultra and Samsung Galaxy S4, allows system audio, including Games and Android Music Playback via iFi iDSD etc.
  2. We have developed a Firmware workaround that enables this for several Android Phones in our possession, but need wider testing.

2) Version 4.8.4 - DSD256 via DoP for iDSD nano (and upcoming iDAC2 micro) is now supported, using a special beta firmware. This firmware is redundant on iDSD micro and Retro Stereo 50.

1. This is primarily for Mac, for Windows ASIO Native remains recommended.
  2. Note that this Firmware unlocks 705k/768kHz sample rates on the iDSD nano and iDAC2 micro with hardware that mutes on 705/768k PCM. 
  3. As Mac's default the audio to the highest rate this means there will be no audio until you lower the sample rate in the control panel to 384khz.

1. Note that on Windows either Firmware update requires the Version 2.23 iFi Driver, earlier versions are NOT supported.

Please open a support ticket here to receive this firmware

Or open a ticket and contact your iCLUB conciege

Thanks

WOW!!!

Just updated to 4.8.4 and am now enjoying TIDAL streaming via my OnePlus One phone (kitkat) and Micro i-DSD

Thanks for this ifi, this has been on my wishlist for a long time now, you guys are miracle workers

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #3,464 of 9,047
I agree that the xbass on the idsd is subtle. But with the ican there are three levels of xbass which adds serious and unmistakable punch to the lower frequency. 
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #3,465 of 9,047
is it possible to ask change in bass by change of firmware, really the xbass is really little

ifi dsd need some more bass punch

can that be done ifi , maybe at least give us an option if that is possible as the bass is in real need for more puch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back