iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Feb 8, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #2,686 of 9,047
The alignment looks straight at least. The window is kind of small to show everything. For me having a good working unit is important. As long the switches are working good I may not be concern on that. You could ask IFI about that. Here is another picture I find on goggle images. The top is a bit chopped off.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #2,687 of 9,047
See, now that unit has an aligned MicroSwitch.  I resized my image so hopefully you can see it better - the numbers on the bottom are cut off and there is a gap on the top. 

But yes, john57, the rest of the unit is aligned.  Thanks for the feedback & the pic! 

After hooking it up to the rest of my system, I've concluded that - it sounds awesome.  The unit seems to be working fine, and the MicroSwitches are accessible. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #2,688 of 9,047
  Hi! i've been combing these threads to find what amps some of you guys pair the Micro iDSD with. Could some of you please kindly share your iFi Micro iDSD set ups with full desktop amps / tube amps please? thank you!

Hi I'm running my iDSD Micro through a Schiit Audio ASGARD 2 as a DAC in direct mode.  It's working wonderfully for all my headphones including HD-650, HA-SZ2000, Etc...

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #2,689 of 9,047

I am running the setup you are asking about. I use the idsd micro purely as a dac in direct mode. The dac is the real gem of the idsd. The amplifier section is good, but not the level of the superb dac section.

The idsd rca output feeds my Woo WA2 tube amp which doubles as a headphone amp for my Beyerdynamic T1s or as a preamp for my main system. My main system amp is an Exposure 2010S2. I can highly recommend this combo. My speakers are Monitor Audio GX-100s and they are awesome.

A tube preamp is sweet with the idsd micro in a full system. I hear that it pairs very well with the itube in this manner.

I finally settled into the digital filter set on Bitperfect/Extreme (PCM/DSD). Now I never have to touch the idsd micro's switches at all.

This little device Rocks!
darthsmile.gif

Thanks! The Woo WA2 is in my sights, at the moment i'm strongly considering pairing the iDSD with either a Woo WA2 / WA22 / WA6SE for tube amps... 

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #2,690 of 9,047
  Hi! i've been combing these threads to find what amps some of you guys pair the Micro iDSD with. Could some of you please kindly share your iFi Micro iDSD set ups with full desktop amps / tube amps please? thank you!

I'm running my iDSD micro RCA line out set to direct mode into a Marantz PM6005 integrated amp driving Spendor LS3/5a speakers.  Even though the Marantz has a dedicated headphone amp built in, I was surprised that it sounded better than the one in the iDSD using my Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm or Sennheiser HD650's.

The iDSD micro is an absolutely fantastic DAC that is slightly held back sonically when listening through it's built in headphone amp.  

Feb 9, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #2,691 of 9,047
  About a week back, I posted about an iTube unit I received that had some issues with alignment of the switches, volume knob and MicroSwitches.  I returned it to musicdirect.com and they promptly sent me a new unit.  The second unit is in much better shape than the first one I received, but the MicroSwitches on the underside are misaligned (see pic). 

I have the iDSD, iCan and iUSBPower and these units arrived in perfect shape, plus I love the sound I get out of the iFi stack.  I haven't tried plugging in this unit to my stack yet, but if it works, should I just keep it?  It is a relatively minor issue, and it may not even affect the functioning of the unit, but I kind of expect to get a mint-condition item when I purchase something that is brand-new.  Am I being unreasonable to expect the iTube to also be in totally mint-perfect condition, or is misalignment a common issue with this particular unit? 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

I am not seeing the misalignment of the switches.  Would you mind sketching on your picture to show us (or at least me) what you are describing?

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #2,693 of 9,047
  the numbers are not all visible. that is the problem... it is minor, at first i haven't noticed it either...
@fleemur12 it is okay, it looks allright, if it works this is what matters.

Originally Posted by tf1216
I am not seeing the misalignment of the switches.  Would you mind sketching on your picture to show us (or at least me) what you are describing?

Here's a extreme close-up with directed LED lighting.  It exaggerates the gap and you can see the red PCB inside.  I'm not trying to be a jerk and present it in the worst possible light and angle, it's just that otherwise it isn't visible on an uploaded pic due to resolution loss and poor lighting. 

Anyway, it works well which is what really counts, but I am a bit of a perfectionist with my "toys" and collectables.  ifi PMed me and I sent them a few pics.  They're a good company and I love my system.  Policies differ between companies, but I will concede it is a relatively minor fit-and-finish issue on a relatively inexpensive unit.  However, I have spent over $1600 on their merchandise. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #2,694 of 9,047

Here's a extreme close-up with directed LED lighting.  It exaggerates the gap and you can see the red PCB inside.  I'm not trying to be a jerk and present it in the worst possible light and angle, it's just that otherwise it isn't visible on an uploaded pic due to resolution loss and poor lighting. 

Anyway, it works well which is what really counts, but I am a bit of a perfectionist with my "toys" and collectables.  ifi PMed me and I sent them a few pics.  They're a good company and I love my system.  Policies differ between companies, but I will concede it is a relatively minor fit-and-finish issue on a relatively inexpensive unit.  However, I have spent over $1600 on their merchandise. 

Hi,

Fleemur has kindly sent us this information - but we wanted to share with you.

We had to check with the techinal people as this not a question we have come across.

The gap
- Just to confirm, the gap between the metal and the switch is one that allows the protruding toggles to pass.

- The cutout is nearly as big as the switch. So if you shine a light in there will always be a gap.

- The placement of the switch on the PCB may be out by as much as 0.5mm one way.

- The maching of the cutout in the case may be out by as much as 0.5mm

As a result it is possible in rare cases that both tolerances accumulate, read the total placement is shifted by as much as 1mm, relaive to any given edge we take as reference.

Again, such tolerances are normal.

The alignment
If looking straight on, the alignment of the whole bank of keys with the switch should be straight on but we cannot be 100% sure from the photos it is aligned or not quite aligned. This is purely cosmetic and there will be variances in production.

Worst case, you can take/send the iTube to your retailer and ask them to check for you.

But from your earlier post, your shot seems the one that is the most straight on. It does not look misaligned - but we do not wish to assume this.

Cheers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 10, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #2,695 of 9,047

Hi,

Fleemur has kindly sent us this information - but we wanted to share with you.

We had to check with the techinal people as this not a question we have come across.

The gap
- Just to confirm, the gap between the metal and the switch is one that allows the protruding toggles to pass.

- The cutout is nearly as big as the switch. So if you shine a light in there will always be a gap.

- The placement of the switch on the PCB may be out by as much as 0.5mm one way.

- The maching of the cutout in the case may be out by as much as 0.5mm

As a result it is possible in rare cases that both tolerances accumulate, read the total placement is shifted by as much as 1mm, relaive to any given edge we take as reference.

Again, such tolerances are normal.

The alignment
If looking straight on, the alignment of the whole bank of keys with the switch should be straight on but we cannot be 100% sure from the photos it is aligned or not quite aligned. This is purely cosmetic and there will be variances in production.

Worst case, you can take/send the iTube to your retailer and ask them to check for you.

But from your earlier post, your shot seems the one that is the most straight on. It does not look misaligned - but we do not wish to assume this.

Cheers.

Yes, that makes sense.  It's about a 1mm gap on one side of the switch.  So that's due to the switch's placement on the PCB approx 0.5mm towards the front of the unit and the cutout in the case bottom is approx 0.5mm towards the back of the unit = 1 mm gap on one side of the switch.  It's tolerance accumulation (or tolerance stack) from the need to allow the keys to pass into the very tight aluminum case.  I've been looking at companies like Takachi Electronics Enclosure Co., LTD, which sell multi-panel aluminum enclosures.  They allow for assembly of cases around the unit.  There are some issues however, such as cost, but there are some interesting options available. 

Anyhow, I digress. 

Since it's only cosmetic, I can live with those tolerances, especially on an audio component that cost a mere $300 and yet makes my music so much more enjoyable. 

I appreciate the quick response, and thanks for giving me a straightforward response. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #2,696 of 9,047

Hmmm....maybe I got a faulty unit or I didn't pay attention when the led change color.

Thank you for your help,

Keep us posted and keep enjoying your iDSD 
biggrin.gif

Hi ultraman,

Check the last part of the User Manual  You will see the part about the "LEDs".  It highlights that when the battery is low by illuminating RED. This warning comes up when the battery is on its last 10%.

Here whats happens before it runs out of juice. Been listen to music now in almost 1h ( overall more than 10hours on this charge) and solid green light during the hole hour. Here is what happens next from green light--> red/green flashing--> shutdown, this takes less than 5 minutes.
Is this normal and what dose 10% remaining means in music playback time (using ipod touch 5 CCK, Sennhiser ie8 and eco mode)?

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #2,697 of 9,047

Here whats happens before it runs out of juice. Been listen to music now in almost 1h ( overall more than 10hours on this charge) and solid green light during the hole hour. Here is what happens next from green light--> red/green flashing--> shutdown, this takes less than 5 minutes.
Is this normal and what dose 10% remaining means in music playback time (using ipod touch 5 CCK, Sennhiser ie8 and eco mode)?

Hey ultraman,

Try recharging your unit to 100%.  You will know it's fully-charged when the LED is off.  After that, use the device until it is completely out of battery power then recharge it back to 100%.  It's it a bit of a process but it should get the iDSD back into the right cycle.  

I've heard that this process helps with devices powered by batteries.  Please don't ask me to explain, in engineering speak, how this helps the battery's functionality.  
tongue_smile.gif
  I am going to Google it though.  

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #2,699 of 9,047
Subbed and a few questions:

*is there a performance difference between battery and usb powered modes?

*what are the best settings for Jriver when playing dsd files? 

*what is the typical play time for a fully charged battery when using the micro portably on econ mode/normal? 

I am so impressed with this device. It took several days of play time before it sounded "right" to me. It's now warm, musical and resolving with all my hp's. I love the effect of xbass...maybe the best implemented bass boost that I've come across. I'm trying hard to find flaws with the mighty micro.

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #2,700 of 9,047
  Subbed and a few questions:

*is there a performance difference between battery and usb powered modes?

*what are the best settings for Jriver when playing dsd files? 

*what is the typical play time for a fully charged battery when using the micro portably on econ mode/normal? 

I am so impressed with this device. It took several days of play time before it sounded "right" to me. It's now warm, musical and resolving with all my hp's. I love the effect of xbass...maybe the best implemented bass boost that I've come across. I'm trying hard to find flaws with the mighty micro.

Hi,

These are our comments but others may chime in with their experience.

1. *is there a performance difference between battery and usb powered modes?
- battery nicer than USB (but depends upon how noisy your coimputer is as this varies from single core Dell Duo (quiet) to HP Dual Core 2.2Ghz (noisy as it is loaded with goodies). These are two that we use.
- but the micro is more impervious because of onboard iPurifier (filter)

2. *what are the best settings for Jriver when playing dsd files? 
- JRMC 19 and 20, leave it alone. Choose WASAPI or ASIO (Asio doesnt have clicks when switching between PCM/DSD)

3. *what is the typical play time for a fully charged battery when using the micro portably on econ mode/normal? 
Using IEMs in this mode, 12-14 hours from fully-charged battery.

Cheers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back