iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Nov 20, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #1,561 of 9,047
Good luck bro, I hope this ends your search finally. Definitely interested in your findings.

I'm thinking of getting this for my X3 and X1. Should be a nice upgrade in sound. Also wondering, if I used it for my AK240, I'd be better off using just the amp section? I love the sound of my 240, not looking to change the signature, just amp it a little. Anyone tell me how I could do that? I think just the HO of it? If I use the LO would I be bypassing both amp and DAC of the 240?

i have to admit that i am a very critical person, and even the chord hugo with all its glory got my my share of criticism but i hope to send a message to the community,  which is that a lot of people love to get great sound with amazing bass, warmth, rich, layered and detailed and some coloration that is musical is also welcomed for many people seek, besides the neutral flat sound sig that now audiophiles are keep asking for. I know my journey will not end with idsd, but who knows what will come out when i get my hands on it so thread members here look for my feedback in 10 days from now, and especially who have audeze lcd2rev2 and listen to synth pop, metal, progressive rock 

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #1,562 of 9,047
I know that this has been discussed a lot, but I would like to know the exact sequence for enabling battery power.  For example, is this correct?

1) switch on iDSD
2) switch on computer
After listening:
3) switch off computer
4) switch off iDSD --> usb charching from computer

Is iDSD supposed to charge every time I poweroff my computer? Or after stage 4) charging will begin only if battery is under some percentage?

I have also another problem: my computer is not charging the iDSD when both are switched off (no light).
Maybe the problem is that iDSD is connected to Gefen USB extender (see --> http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-usb2.0-lr.jsp?prod_id=5529). The receiver extender where iDSD is connected is powered by his own power supply.The specifications .pdf is declaring "Receiver supports up to 2 USB powered connections at 500 mA each"

As a last note in Windows 8.1 32 bit the last driver 2.3 is  not working (device not initialized). I see that in the .inf file is specified only 64 bit. However the prevoius driver is working correctly

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #1,563 of 9,047
Om step 4 I just leave the iDSD on and it will go into standby in 15 minutes with no USB data signal. The LED will continue to be off until the battery is discharged unlikely as long there is USB power.  On my desktop PC I have the BIOS set to provide standby 5 volts to the USB ports at all time.

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #1,564 of 9,047
I know that this has been discussed a lot, but I would like to know the exact sequence for enabling battery power.  For example, is this correct?

1) switch on iDSD
2) switch on computer
After listening:
3) switch off computer

Is iDSD supposed to charge every time I poweroff my computer? Or after stage 4) charging will begin only if battery is under some percentage?

I have also another problem: my computer is not charging the iDSD when both are switched off (no light).
Maybe the problem is that iDSD is connected to Gefen USB extender (see --> http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-usb2.0-lr.jsp?prod_id=5529). The receiver extender where iDSD is connected is powered by his own power supply.The specifications .pdf is declaring "Receiver supports up to 2 USB powered connections at 500 mA each"

As a last note in Windows 8.1 32 bit the last driver 2.3 is  not working (device not initialized). I see that in the .inf file is specified only 64 bit. However the prevoius driver is working correctly

If you do not wish to use your Micro iDSD's built in battery, you can switch on the power AFTER you have connected to the running computer. That way, you can keep the Micro iDSD running after listening, just let it go into standby mode.

As for 2.3 driver, I have tested it on my Window 7, 32-bit it doesn't work either but it appear to work on my Window 8.1, 64-bit. For now, it is best to stick with 2.0.

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Nov 21, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #1,565 of 9,047
Whichever power source is activated FIRST will be used by the iDSD.

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #1,566 of 9,047
If you do not wish to use your Micro iDSD's built in battery, you can switch on the power AFTER you have connected to the running computer. That way, you can keep the Micro iDSD running after listening, just let it go into standby mode.

As for 2.3 driver, I have tested it on my Window 7, 32-bit it doesn't work either but it appear to work on my Window 8.1, 64-bit. For now, it is best to stick with 2.0.

Hope it helps!
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

USB Driver 2.23 works under Win 7 64 bit as well. Definitely improves startup latency, as stated on download page. Perhaps they will release a win 32 version soon.

Best.

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #1,567 of 9,047

1) switch on iDSD
2) switch on computer
After listening:
3) switch off computer

Hi,

Yes, we believe the extender is the most likely problem.

First, the iDSD micro will only detect this as low power source and second, the voltage level of this may be too low.

Adding a Orico Powered Hub with BC1.2 battery charging may be required. This has been document a few pages back.

But you can read up here:

http://ifi-audio.com/audio_blog/orico-high-power-usb-hub-one-sure-way-to-feed-the-meaty-monster/

"I know that this has been discussed a lot, but I would like to know the exact sequence for enabling battery power."

If using this extender it does not matter when the PC is turned on. The actual detection in the iDSD relies on the presence of Bus Power. It means it needs to be turned on before power is applied to the USB input.

If the v2.23.0 foes not work on your PC setup, default back to v2.20.0. We are offering both versions to cover all eventualities.

Thanks

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 21, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #1,569 of 9,047
I have fixed the problems connecting the micro directly to USB 3.0 output!

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #1,570 of 9,047
  It sounds like it is functioning properly and you are bitstreaming using DoP. When using the DoP signaling scheme it disguises the DSD64 signal as a 176k 24bit PCM stream so that the USB Audio 2.0 standard can be utilized for driverless function. Using the Windows ASIO driver you can avoid using DoP and stream directly, but I don't know if this is possible right now with Mac. I think exaSound makes an ASIO mac driver for their dacs, but they are the only one so far.

Hi KmanChu. I found this other post that confirms what you said. Thanks for your help again. I have also noticed that my JRiver software shows my DSD files as 176K as well:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/553416/bitperfect-was-audirvana-alternatives/765

see post 

"An inherent problem of the DoP format is that for DSD64 it uses a 24/176.4 PCM stream, which the DAC has to announce.  ForDSD128 it is a 24/352.8 PCM stream.  However, as far as the computer is concerned, it has no way of knowing whether the DAC is announcing a DoP capability or a PCM capability.  Therefore, any DAC that supports DSD64 DoP really needs to also support 24/176.4 PCM, and likewise if it supports DSD128 DoP it really needs to support 24/352.8 PCM.  FYI, DSD256 DoP, if supported, would require a 24/705.6 PCM format!"

I am posting this to follow-up on my initial inquiry as follows:

"I have a question for the forum. When I am playing DSD files the iDSD lights up cyan as expected. When I look at the MAC Audio MIDI setup, the frequency says 176,000 Hz Output format. Is that right, or should the Audio MIDI setup show a higher frequency than that? Just wondering. I am using Audirvana Plus with all the iFi recommended settings."

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #1,572 of 9,047
Glad to hear you were able to get your paws on one!  My favorite DAC or portable AMP.  Notice I didn't say favorite PORTABLE DAC, as it's just better than any of the desktop solutions I have listened to.  (Which is why it is almost permanently connected to the media center in the Music/Home Theater room.)

just wait until you let it burn in for a full day or three!  :)

Congratulations!

Ken N.

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #1,573 of 9,047
My first encounter with iDSD was from Jude.  Without even hearing it yet, I was really impressed by the features set and build quality.  The USB input for iOS devices is brilliant! 

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,574 of 9,047
I'm very much enjoying the sound quality of the iDSD. Very resolving, great soundstage, (although not terribly wide), and for the most part (more below) a black background. This is with redbook-level files, using either Music Bee or Tidal, and with my HD600s. This is actually a very good pairing, as the 600s have enough detail retrieval to take advantage of the same characteristic of the iDSD. Same with the soundstage and instrument location in space,(especially with the 3D on).

One anomaly though. On two different occasions now, I've been able to hear some very quiet clicks and pops in the background during and between songs. It sounded very similar to an old vinyl album ironically. I don't think its the same thing as others have reported because I don't have any DSD tracks (yet, I'll probably try at least one or two albums). Each time, it has been present no matter the settings of the iDSD. The first time it happened with Tidal, but when I switched to my collection, no noise.  I assumed it was more teething pains with Tidal (which I love overall). The second time was last night, and was present with any source. When I noticed it I was trying out some iems (w40, DJ-E1500, XBA-H100) for the first time with the iDSD, but it happened with the 600s as well. No noise today, so keeping my fingers crossed. I was very tired and decidedly unsober last night though, so who knows? It does work well and sound great w/ iems btw, but with this much power on tap (with most sources I can drive the 600s to listening volume on normal power mode at 12-2 o'clock), I'm going to have to remember to be careful with the settings so I don't deafen myself or send a set of iems flying out of my ears.

I hated the 3d mode with the iDSD in preamp mode feeding a receiver and speakers through  the analog outs. It created some weird artifacts and sounded very unatural in this totally lo-fi set-up, but that's not what I got it for anyway. I'm still learning its sound and features, but so far, barring a repeat of the noise, two thumbs up. :atsmile:

I am hearing the same thing on my iDSD Micro. I seems dependent on the source, but is disconcerting for sure. I hear a steady pair of light clicks or pops every 5-10 seconds when I use my iPhone 6, Tidal, and iDSD Micro. Not strong but consistently there. Changed all the cables, and it was still there. Switching to my MacBook Air and the Tidal native app and it only happened once in 2 hours.

So, it's unclear if the iPhone 6 DAC output is just super jittery compare to the MacBook but the problem has been consistent for several days now.

Any suggestions on what other cabling or settings changes I could use are welcome.

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #1,575 of 9,047
The issue has not returned for me at all. I don't use my phone for music at all though. I'm waiting for male/male coax adapters so I can try the iDSD with the coax out of my X3. I've so far only used it with two different laptops. Post with more info please. Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back