iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Nov 18, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #1,531 of 9,047
You mention DSD again.

You cannot send DSD over S/P-DIF, neither coax nor toslink.

Edit: also, the iDSD will not convert DSD to PCM. If you want to use your external DAC, you can only play PCM files.

I'm really Sorry i don't understand you,
If i want use audio file that i mention before like DSD,192k with my AK120 and iDSD? What i need to use cable mini jack to mini jack or what

iDSD supports DSD - YES

AK120 supports DSD - YES by conversion to PCM

Toslink supports DSD - NO

Coax supports DSD - NO

USB supports DSD - YES (using compatible drivers)

Clear?

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,532 of 9,047
How long does it take typically to get a reply from the iFi support? I'm waiting since 2 days, but no reply so far. What I don't understand I select Technical department on creation a ticket, but in my created ticket it's assigned to sales department? I hope soon I get help, can't use my sweet mobile DAC/AMP combo since a while.

I bought few weeks ago the micro iDSD, but since a while it disconnects from my smartphone using UAPP (the nano iDSD on the same smartphone has no issues - so it's obvious a problem with the micro iDSD).

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #1,533 of 9,047
  How long does it take typically to get a reply from the iFi support? I'm waiting since 2 days, but no reply so far. What I don't understand I select Technical department on creation a ticket, but in my created ticket it's assigned to sales department? I hope soon I get help, can't use my sweet mobile DAC/AMP combo since a while.

I bought few weeks ago the micro iDSD, but since a while it disconnects from my smartphone using UAPP (the nano iDSD on the same smartphone has no issues - so it's obvious a problem with the micro iDSD).

Did you buy a cheap OTG cable?  I had the same problem with the cable I purchased.

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #1,534 of 9,047
I tried 3 different ones... from different brands too. The nano iDSD works without issues... all details in my ticket, I don't want to make this public, iFi should have a look, but thanks for you input.

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #1,535 of 9,047
What I did to fix the problem was wrap a few layers of electrical tape around the outside of the connector that inserted into the iDSD.  Now things work without fail.

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #1,536 of 9,047
  I tried 3 different ones... from different brands too. The nano iDSD works without issues... all details in my ticket, I don't want to make this public, iFi should have a look, but thanks for you input.

Hi,

Dont worry.

Drop us a PM with your name and we'll chase up the tech side.

Or you can email tech@ifi-audio.com

We dont normally miss support tickets - or it may be that we had to ask someone senior.

Thanks

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 18, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #1,538 of 9,047

I also had the same problem,
But I solve this problem (I was going crazy),

With my smartphone Xperia Z3 and Micro iDSD, disabling the app "Smart Connect"
when UAPP playng, this starts spinning in the background, and the Micro iDSD disconnect !!!
On the smartphone, Options-->Apps-->"Smart Connect" select: Terminate and Disable.
Now is all okay. :wink:

P.S.
Sorry for my bad English
From Italy, Massimo

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #1,539 of 9,047

Hi,

Yes but that is analogue not digital of course which means the A&K has done the conversion.

Information on what happens to the signal inside the A&K is found here:
http://www.astellnkern.com/

Click on A&K120 and then scroll down to:

"Supports DSD format up to 5.6MHz"

We met the A&K (USA) team at RMAF. They are really nice guys.

If you have any questions on the A&K, best you contact them as they are ones in the know.

If you like, drop us PM and we can direct you.

you can connect the AK120 to the iDSD via an SPDIF (with 3.5mm adapters on each end) but you will be limited to passing through NON dsd files, e.g. flac, wav, mp3 etc. Will still be worth doing I'm sure :)

iDSD supports DSD - YES

AK120 supports DSD - YES by conversion to PCM

Toslink supports DSD - NO

Coax supports DSD - NO

USB supports DSD - YES (using compatible drivers)

Clear?

Thank you !!!, I really appreciate you guy's

But i have last two questions ,
1- If i use my AK120 to connect Micro iDSD between them with a cable 3.5mm-3.5mm the audio file will support up to what? 96hz like the toslink or 192k
2- If i use my AK120 to connect Micro iDSD between them with a cable 3.5mm-3.5mm that mean i use the DAC of my AK120? Right

Sorry about my questions.

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #1,540 of 9,047
[COLOR=0000FF]Thank you !!!, I really appreciate you guy's[/COLOR]

But i have last two questions ,
1- If i use my AK120 to connect Micro iDSD between them with a cable 3.5mm-3.5mm the audio file will support up to what? 96hz like the toslink or 192k
2- If i use my AK120 to connect Micro iDSD between them with a cable 3.5mm-3.5mm that mean i use the DAC of my AK120? Right

Sorry about my questions.

Assuming you mean 3.5mm non optical cable

1-you'll get whatever the AK120 is playing, as it's doing the digital analogue conversion, the iDSD at this point is an amp only
2-right

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #1,541 of 9,047
Assuming you mean 3.5mm non optical cable

1-you'll get whatever the AK120 is playing, as it's doing the digital analogue conversion, the iDSD at this point is an amp only
2-right

Yeah i mean mini jack to mini jack 3.5 to 3.5
So you mean support until 192k?

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #1,542 of 9,047
What's considered out there to be the best player without a DAC and amp? No DAC and amp would I guess make it a lot cheaper. No phone too, so very cheap...:)

So just the best player I can attach to my micro iDSD? Any suggestions?

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #1,543 of 9,047
What's considered out there to be the best player without a DAC and amp? No DAC and amp would I guess make it a lot cheaper. No phone too, so very cheap...
smily_headphones1.gif

So just the best player I can attach to my micro iDSD? Any suggestions?

Not really.

A player without DAC and amp is just a digital transport and totally useless to the majority of user. That means the customer base will be severely limited and therefore it is by definition a niche product. As with any niche product, you need to have a very high markup in order to make money, since you will not make any money by volume.

Putting the above aside, if you are just looking for a pure player, FiiO X3 or iBasso DX50 both output S/PDIF. The new Sony A10 series has OTG USB function that can work with iDSD with the official Sony OTG adapter. However, the cheapest way is probably with a cheap Android smartphone that can do OTG USB, with USB Audio Player PRO installed..

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #1,544 of 9,047
I have noticed there is a delay between the audio from the computer and the micro -- this puts a noticeable lag of audio for movies which kinda sucks. Any fix? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back