iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jan 19, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #5,132 of 9,047
I tried 5 different USB3 cables from cheap to medium price (£50ish) couldn't tell them apart.

But I do have a high end PC with shielded board, so your mileage may vary.

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #5,133 of 9,047
  Hi, wanna ask anyone upgrade their stock USB cable? Which one is good?

Hi,

If you like, you can read up on the background on what is from our technical point of view, the characteristics a good-uqality USB audio cable should have. Once you have this in mind, then you can sift through the different USB cables out there.

This is for the USB2.0 type but applies to USB2.0 and USB3.0 cables.

http://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/data/GeminiUSBCable.pdf

Cheers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 19, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #5,134 of 9,047

Hi,

If you like, you can read up on the background on what is from our technical point of view, the characteristics a good-uqality USB audio cable should have. Once you have this in mind, then you can sift through the different USB cables out there.

Cheer

Hi,

Cheers.

Ifi don't have Male A to Female A USB cable?

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #5,135 of 9,047
Jan 23, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #5,137 of 9,047
I have a DX90, is Coax the best way to connect to this?

Coax is the only way for a DX90 to connect digitally to the micro iDSD, unless of course you want to feed DX90's line-out to micro iDSD and use it purely as amp.

Jan 23, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #5,139 of 9,047

Coax is the only way for a DX90 to connect digitally to the micro iDSD, unless of course you want to feed DX90's line-out to micro iDSD and use it purely as amp.

Good to know, thanks.

Have you ever compared this to the Mojo? This seems like it would be more bang for the buck.

It is. I do own both micro iDSD and Mojo. Both are great DAC/amp on its own right. Mojo is by far one of the best sounding DAC/amp of its size that I have ever listened to, and micro iDSD is nothing less in comparison on SQ, but offer a bit more features and versatility, plus a cheaper price tag. Those aside however,  I think it is more down to personal preference on which one like better than any technical superiority.

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #5,140 of 9,047

It is. I do own both micro iDSD and Mojo. Both are great DAC/amp on its own right. Mojo is by far one of the best sounding DAC/amp of its size that I have ever listened to, and micro iDSD is nothing less in comparison on SQ, but offer a bit more features and versatility, plus a cheaper price tag. Those aside however,  I think it is more down to personal preference on which one like better than any technical superiority.

I'd have to agree based on principal, as I have not heard the MOJO yet.  But against the Full grown HUGO, my iDSD held its own.  Liked it say, almost 90% as much as HUGO.  MUCH less money. 

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #5,141 of 9,047
I'd have to agree based on principal, as I have not heard the MOJO yet.  But against the Full grown HUGO, my iDSD held its own.  Liked it say, almost 90% as much as HUGO.  MUCH less money. 

That's good to hear. I read your review and you pair the DX90 with the DSD, are you still? Is there a difference now that you have it longer since your review? Nothing against the Mojo as I loved that thing, (I had it for 10 days) but there seems to be some issues arising here and there and the DSD seems to be built like a tank. The Mojo seems pretty rugged minus the balls, Im not sure how they are going to hold after months or years of use.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #5,142 of 9,047

Over the years I have always trusted your reviews and replies, this just seems like it would make more sense to own long term.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #5,143 of 9,047

Over the years I have always trusted your reviews and replies, this just seems like it would make more sense to own long term.

Mojo is a bit more refined but I'm sticking with iDSD for it versatility and ease of use. I just can't get use to using buttons for volume control.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #5,144 of 9,047

Mojo is a bit more refined but I'm sticking with iDSD for it versatility and ease of use. I just can't get use to using buttons for volume control.

That's good to hear. Is the iDSD have that "crisp" sound? Also, I may have missed while searching through reviews and the thread but are there any issues with Apple hooking to this and streaming Tidal?

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #5,145 of 9,047

That's good to hear. I read your review and you pair the DX90 with the DSD, are you still? Is there a difference now that you have it longer since your review? Nothing against the Mojo as I loved that thing, (I had it for 10 days) but there seems to be some issues arising here and there and the DSD seems to be built like a tank. The Mojo seems pretty rugged minus the balls, Im not sure how they are going to hold after months or years of use.

Hi Howdy!

Yes, I still listen to my DX90 through my iDSD. I just fell asleep listening to the combo last night. Had a mini-RUSH-fest grouping Grace Under Pressure, Moving Pictures, and Permanent Waves. By the time I had gotten to Peter Gabriel, I was dozing off. I guess I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my Beyerdynamics T1 ver.2 headphones. Though the combination sounds awesome with my Sennheiser HD-650, 800, AKG K550, K545, And JVC ESNSY headphones. Almost anything sounds good with my Koss PortaPros, so I usually forget to mention them. The one thing that I know the iDSD Micro can do that the MOJO can't is drive my JVC SZ-2000 headphones into TRUE "Beast Mode". Example courtesy of Hawaiibadboy if you get a chance to search him out, I think you'll be very impressed. If you're not a basshead at all, it may not be of real value to you, but it translates well into demonstrating how WELL the iDSD can drive the 600Ohm T1 with real "authority". Not just to make it louder, which isn't hard at all to be honest, but makes it possible for them to sing while almost feeling effortless. My Schiit Audio ASGARD 2 doesn't make them feel any fuller than the iDSD does. Yes, the HD-800 and to a much lesser extent, my HD650 improve slightly, but not nearly enough to notice unless I A/B the HD-650 back to back between the two. I can tell more easily with most quality tracks on the HD-800, but it isn't as big a difference as you would expect. Not even considering portable and non-Class-A amplified vs dedicated desktop/rack Class-A amplified. Which to me is a hugely impressive feat. Yes, I'm sure if I upgraded to a Cavalli, the difference would be much greater, but I could say the same between the ASGARD2 and a Cavalli as well. In short, I love it. It is the "Swiss army knife" of my audio collection. Only thing is it does EVERYTHING really well instead of just acceptably. It has a truly top-shelf DAC, great sounding amp, TONS of power, rugged/durable, "fairly" portable (It is on the large side, and not "pocketable" in less than a large jacket pocket or cargo pants as opposed to my FIIO e17 which easily fits in a pants pocket.), very durable, and has good battery life. (I've flown multiple times from NJ to California, and never ran out of power.)

Oh, I just saw that you asked someone else, so I connect my DX90 to my iDSD via coaxial. I had a custom cable made by Forza Audio Works. It works perfectly! The stock coaxial to 3.5" cable worked okay, but the plug sleeve started to soften and stretch, so the connection became a bit of hit or miss after a few weeks. The Forza has been rock-solid and shows no sign of wear at all almost a full year of travel later. Worth it in my book. And I have used the iDSD Micro with both my iPhone 4S and 5 as well as my iPad original and Air tablets. I have to use my old style and lightning camera connection kit (CCK) adapters, but it does work. Just for me, there isn't NEARLY enough storage to make it worthwhile. I know TIDAL works, but I really like listening to my own lossless files better, and having 128GB micro SD cards for each genre, and a couple for "travel music compilations" makes it easy. :). Fair warning: I usually get the standard Apple "This device is not supported" when I use my lightning CCK, but it works anyway. With iPad on, I plug in the CCK, then plug the USB end into my iDSD, and then turn on my iDSD. (Which is why I probably get the error, but I don't like hot- plugging my audio devices if I can avoid it.). Then I start up the TIDAL app and listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back