iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jan 8, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #5,102 of 9,047
Reminds me the local distributor told me some they ask ifi questions when they have a major head ache problem on other brands they have. as not all companies answer questions well like them. dont know if true maybe bs

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #5,103 of 9,047
I recently purchased a used micro iDSD and have two questions to which I haven't been able to find answers online:

1. Is there a way to check the unit's firmware version using a Windows PC?  (The support page tells one how to do it for a Mac, which I don't have.  I have tried looking through Control Panel entries, but with no luck.)

2.  Any opinions on SQ using coax in (not optical, but digital audio) vs. USB?

Thanks much.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #5,104 of 9,047
Run this:

C:\Program Files\iFi\USB_HD_Audio_Driver\iFiHDUSBAudio_dfuapp.exe

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #5,105 of 9,047
I recently purchased a used micro iDSD and have two questions to which I haven't been able to find answers online:

[COLOR=888888]1. Is there a way to check the unit's firmware version using a Windows PC?  (The support page tells one how to do it for a Mac, which I don't have.  I have tried looking through Control Panel entries, but with no luck.)
[/COLOR]
2.  Any opinions on SQ using coax in vs. USB?

Thanks much.

If you can use USB then use USB.

Optical is fine for the TV though.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #5,106 of 9,047
Thanks for the quick and helpful responses!

I see my unit has firmware version 4.04 (the serial number of the unit is in red ink, which, from what I understand, implies it's one of the early units).

Would it make sense to upgrade to the latest firmware?  I'm not experiencing any issues, but was wondering if there are any general benefits.

Thanks again.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #5,107 of 9,047
  Thanks for the quick and helpful responses!

I see my unit has firmware version 4.04 (the serial number of the unit is in red ink, which, from what I understand, implies it's one of the early units).

Would it make sense to upgrade to the latest firmware?  I'm not experiencing any issues, but was wondering if there are any general benefits.

Thanks again.

Absolutely! Read iFi webpages about new firmware v5 three versions

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #5,108 of 9,047
Reminds me the local distributor told me some they ask ifi questions when they have a major head ache problem on other brands they have. as not all companies answer questions well like them. dont know if true maybe bs

I've heard something similar from a reputable source.

I think there's more that goes on behind the magic curtain than we know. In other words, the companies that truly innovate are extremely few - maybe even a handful - while the copycats are much greater than we think. R&D for some companies means simply Repeat & Deceive.

iFi happens to be the real deal.

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #5,109 of 9,047
I've heard something similar from a reputable source.

I think there's more that goes on behind the magic curtain than we know. In other words, the companies that truly innovate are extremely few - maybe even a handful - while the copycats are much greater than we think. R&D for some companies means simply Repeat & Deceive.

iFi happens to be the real deal.

Maybe, that's the reason why there is quite good 'their own' Made In China stuff last few years (not speaking here about making just for important international audiophile companies)

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #5,110 of 9,047
Good morning! I'm finally getting a Micro iDSD and I have two question, does it matter if my DAP is an X1 or Sony A17 since I'm not using their amps/dacs or does it still make a difference if I get an X3, X3ii or X5ii?
Which RCA cables do you recomend to go to my tube amp that won't break the bank?
My iPhone 6s Plus makes an interference sound every 5 minutes, sound like when you about to get a call, like data is being sent or received. (When hooked up to little dot, the sound is multiplied by 10!)
Thank you!!!

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #5,111 of 9,047
Good morning! I'm finally getting a Micro iDSD and I have two question, does it matter if my DAP is an X1 or Sony A17 since I'm not using their amps/dacs or does it still make a difference if I get an X3, X3ii or X5ii?
Which RCA cables do you recomend to go to my tube amp that won't break the bank?
My iPhone 6s Plus makes an interference sound every 5 minutes, sound like when you about to get a call, like data is being sent or received. (When hooked up to little dot, the sound is multiplied by 10!)
Thank you!!!

There already was information about using different DAP's with iDSD, you can read all pages 'backwards' (for about 25 pages or so)
Discussion about 'cables' (including RCA) is never ending story... 'middle way' is to go with any well built (strong, thick and with 'golden' plugs).
Hope that someone can comment about your iPhone

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #5,112 of 9,047

I would choose the Sony as it can do USB OTG (using the reassuringly expensive Sony proprietary OTG cable).

The X1 doesn't have a digital output.

The X3, X3ii and X5ii all only have coaxial S/P-DIF.

What is your definition of "won't break the bank"?

The cables that ship with the iDSD are decent.

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #5,114 of 9,047
Jan 10, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #5,115 of 9,047
Thank you!!!

I'm not sure about Sony, i tried on all the Fiio product you mention.  I didn't buy any, if you compare USB-omputer vs Coax-Fiio, it makes a big different level. Non on the Fiio is close to the SQ of iDsd. Next i would like to try android phone too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back