iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jan 24, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #5,146 of 9,047
Hi Howdy!

Yes, I still listen to my DX90 through my iDSD. I just fell asleep listening to the combo last night. Had a mini-RUSH-fest grouping Grace Under Pressure, Moving Pictures, and Permanent Waves. By the time I had gotten to Peter Gabriel, I was dozing off. I guess I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my Beyerdynamics T1 ver.2 headphones. Though the combination sounds awesome with my Sennheiser HD-650, 800, AKG K550, K545, And JVC ESNSY headphones. Almost anything sounds good with my Koss PortaPros, so I usually forget to mention them. The one thing that I know the iDSD Micro can do that the MOJO can't is drive my JVC SZ-2000 headphones into TRUE "Beast Mode". Example courtesy of @HawaiianBadBoy, if you get a chance to search him out, I think you'll be very impressed. If you're not a basshead at all, it may not be of real value to you, but it translates well into demonstrating how WELL the iDSD can drive the 600Ohm T1 with real "authority". Not just to make it louder, which isn't hard at all to be honest, but makes it possible for them to sing while almost feeling effortless. My Schiit Audio ASGARD 2 doesn't make them feel any fuller than the iDSD does. Yes, the HD-800 and to a much lesser extent, my HD650 improve slightly, but nearly enough to notice unless I A/B the HD-650 back to back between the two. I can tell with most quality tracks on the HD-800, but it isn't as big a difference as you would expect. Not even considering portable and non-Class-A amplified vs dedicated desktop/rack Class-A amplified. Which to me is a hugely impressive feat. Yes, I'm sure if I upgraded to a Cavalli, the difference would be much greater, but I could say the same between the ASGARD2 and a Cavalli as well. In short, I love it. It is the "Swiss army knife" of my audio collection. Only thing is it does EVERYTHING really well: excellent DAC, great sounding amp, TONS of power, "fairly" portable (It is on the large side, and not "pocketable" in less than a large jacket pocket or cargo pants as opposed to my FIIO e17 which easily fits in a pants pocket.), very durable, and has good battery life. (I've flown multiple times from NJ to California, and never ran out of power.)

Oh, I just saw that you asked someone else, so I connect my DX90 to my iDSD via coaxial. I had a custom cable made by Forza Audio Works. It works perfectly! The stock coaxial to 3.5" cable worked okay, but the plug sleeve started to soften and stretch, so the connection became a bit of hit or miss after a few weeks. The Forza has been rock-solid and shows no sign of wear at all almost a full year of travel later. Worth it in my book. And I have used the iDSD Micro with both my iPhone 4S and 5 as well as my iPad original and Air tablets. I have to use my old style and lightning camera connection kit (CCK) adapters, but it does work. Just for me, there isn't NEARLY enough storage to make it worthwhile. I know TIDAL works, but I really like listening to my own lossless files better, and having 128GB micro SD cards for each genre, and a couple for "travel music compilations" makes it easy. :)

Thanks for the Big reply!
I have talked to hawaiibadboy a few times on this and he seems to really like it still and has many other iFi products as well. I hope to have this tomorrow so I can finally have a listen. Its funny you mentioned Forza as I just had to cables made from him and just received them the other day, one for my Oppo PM3 and one for my Alclair RSM customs. He does great work. Well, I will have to give some impressions soon. Im really surprised that this thread does not get more attention. I will have to help spread the love.

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #5,147 of 9,047
Hi Howdy!

Yes, I still listen to my DX90 through my iDSD. I just fell asleep listening to the combo last night. Had a mini-RUSH-fest grouping Grace Under Pressure, Moving Pictures, and Permanent Waves. By the time I had gotten to Peter Gabriel, I was dozing off. I guess I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my Beyerdynamics T1 ver.2 headphones. Though the combination sounds awesome with my Sennheiser HD-650, 800, AKG K550, K545, And JVC ESNSY headphones. Almost anything sounds good with my Koss PortaPros, so I usually forget to mention them. The one thing that I know the iDSD Micro can do that the MOJO can't is drive my JVC SZ-2000 headphones into TRUE "Beast Mode". Example courtesy of @HawaiianBadBoy, if you get a chance to search him out, I think you'll be very impressed. If you're not a basshead at all, it may not be of real value to you, but it translates well into demonstrating how WELL the iDSD can drive the 600Ohm T1 with real "authority". Not just to make it louder, which isn't hard at all to be honest, but makes it possible for them to sing while almost feeling effortless. My Schiit Audio ASGARD 2 doesn't make them feel any fuller than the iDSD does. Yes, the HD-800 and to a much lesser extent, my HD650 improve slightly, but nearly enough to notice unless I A/B the HD-650 back to back between the two. I can tell with most quality tracks on the HD-800, but it isn't as big a difference as you would expect. Not even considering portable and non-Class-A amplified vs dedicated desktop/rack Class-A amplified. Which to me is a hugely impressive feat. Yes, I'm sure if I upgraded to a Cavalli, the difference would be much greater, but I could say the same between the ASGARD2 and a Cavalli as well. In short, I love it. It is the "Swiss army knife" of my audio collection. Only thing is it does EVERYTHING really well: excellent DAC, great sounding amp, TONS of power, "fairly" portable (It is on the large side, and not "pocketable" in less than a large jacket pocket or cargo pants as opposed to my FIIO e17 which easily fits in a pants pocket.), very durable, and has good battery life. (I've flown multiple times from NJ to California, and never ran out of power.)

Oh, I just saw that you asked someone else, so I connect my DX90 to my iDSD via coaxial. I had a custom cable made by Forza Audio Works. It works perfectly! The stock coaxial to 3.5" cable worked okay, but the plug sleeve started to soften and stretch, so the connection became a bit of hit or miss after a few weeks. The Forza has been rock-solid and shows no sign of wear at all almost a full year of travel later. Worth it in my book. And I have used the iDSD Micro with both my iPhone 4S and 5 as well as my iPad original and Air tablets. I have to use my old style and lightning camera connection kit (CCK) adapters, but it does work. Just for me, there isn't NEARLY enough storage to make it worthwhile. I know TIDAL works, but I really like listening to my own lossless files better, and having 128GB micro SD cards for each genre, and a couple for "travel music compilations" makes it easy. :)

Thanks for the Big reply!
I have talked to hawaiibadboy a few times on this and he seems to really like it still and has many other iFi products as well. I hope to have this tomorrow so I can finally have a listen. Its funny you mentioned Forza as I just had to cables made from him and just received them the other day, one for my Oppo PM3 and one for my Alclair RSM customs. He does great work. Well, I will have to give some impressions soon. Im really surprised that this thread does not get more attention. I will have to help spread the love.

It IS a great thread. I really like it here and learn a lot almost daily. Best of all, the members here don't make me feel like I'm "less worthy", because I'm a beginner and ask questions. Everyone had to start sometime, and the people here all seem to remember what that's like. :grinning:

Here is a photo I just took with the custom Forza. It's not only nice to look at, but über sturdy. This rig goes into my bag and through airport security on a regular basis. NO WEAR SHOWS.

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #5,148 of 9,047

My typical travel load-out.

VMODAs for airport (Easy/cheap to replace if lost/stolen)
AKG K545 for plane (ear cups folded flat and slid into a velour travel pouch inside my laptop bag)
(FIIO e17 just shown here for size comparison.)

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #5,149 of 9,047
It IS a great thread. I really like it here and learn a lot almost daily. Best of all, the members here don't make me feel like I'm "less worthy", because I'm a beginner and ask questions. Everyone had to start sometime, and the people here all seem to remember what that's like. :grinning:

Here is a photo I just took with the custom Forza. It's not only nice to look at, but über sturdy. This rig goes into my bag and through airport security on a regular basis. NO WEAR SHOWS.

We were all beginners and I have questions I know a few good people here to ask.

The setup looks great! I have the M100s as well, they are a fun headphone. If you don't mind me asking how much was the Forza IC?

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #5,150 of 9,047

We were all beginners and I have questions I know a few good people here to ask.

The setup looks great! I have the M100s as well, they are a fun headphone. If you don't mind me asking how much was the Forza IC?

I don't mind at all! If I recall, they were about $60 USD and change. With shipping I think it came to just over $70. For the durability alone I consider the cable worth it. Not to mention it just looks really nice. :). I chose the 0,5m length, and it is just right. Almost looks like the length was measured to juuuust reach between my DX90 & iDSD plug & port.

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #5,151 of 9,047

That is one hell of a stack!

If you had to choose between the HD800 and the T1.2, which has better bass and soundstage with the Micro?

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #5,152 of 9,047
Hi, I just want to ask which will sound better on the idsd for portable purpose. I am currently using a smartphone connected via otg. I am planning to get a Sony NW-A25 just to slim down my stack. Would it sound the same, paired with a smartphone or will pairing it with a Sony A25 sound better? TIA :)

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #5,153 of 9,047
I have A17 connected with WMC-NWH10 cable. I didn't notice difference between sound quality of A17 with my iphone 6 connected with CCK. But when you are using sony A10 series with this WMC-NWH10 cable to connect with ifi micro idsd or other external dac/amp, it will cut down your sony's battery life from 20 hours to 8 hours.

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #5,154 of 9,047
I have A17 connected with WMC-NWH10 cable. I didn't notice difference between sound quality of A17 with my iphone 6 connected with CCK. But when you are using sony A10 series with this WMC-NWH10 cable to connect with ifi micro idsd or other external dac/amp, it will cut down your sony's battery life from 20 hours to 8 hours.

Are you switching the micro iDSD on first before you connect the A17?

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #5,155 of 9,047
Yes, I'm switching on idsd first. Even if I switch on after I plug in A17, idsd does not drain A17 battery.

It is sony's flaws that when you connect to external dac/amp with WMC-NWH10 cable, it puts A10 series in "data transfer mode".

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/survey-digital-audio-players-part-1-sony-nwz-a17#1oFMyTRymvR2kikt.97

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #5,156 of 9,047
That is one hell of a stack!

If you had to choose between the HD800 and the T1.2, which has better bass and soundstage with the Micro?

Hmm... I wouldn't call it a trick question, but it IS tricky.

First, the "for me" CLEAR win: T1 has tremendously sculptured and deep bass. They CAN actually rumble if the music is right, and you get those deep percussion sub bass rolls... The HD-800 is no slouch either, but truly analytical. If you want to know what's there, the HD-800 gives you a map. But if you want to feel and be enveloped in it, the T1 ver.2 is my preference.

Now soundstage... If you define better by "bigger", then HD-800 wins EVERY time. No contest.
If your soundstage criteria is "appropriateness", then I favor the T1 ver.2. Or even the ver.1.

To me: I hear a huge soundstage out of the HD-800. It's WILD, and amazing to hear. After the gee-whiz factor wore off, (a couple of weeks) I started to notice that for the likes of Wagner, Holst, and Beethoven, when the arrangements are large, and complex, I LOVE the HD-800! But for smaller, arrangements like quartets or piano/harpsichord, the huge soundstage felt "awkward". Not bad, but just not possessing the punch and impact the individual instruments should/could have. With the T1 (Either version) the instruments are clearly placed and play off of each other. (No pun intended). They simply blend when they should, and you can clearly tell when someone is taking lead, and when they "step back" to blend with the group. For those reasons, I prefer the T1s.

So, if I'm listening to huge choral or orchestral pieces, I'd reach for the HD-800. If I'm intending to listen to most anythIng else, I'd reach for the T1 ver.2.

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #5,158 of 9,047
Is it me only that i heard T1 with micro idsd is so piercing bright?

To me, the T1 ver.1 could get a little shrill a bit easier than I would like. The T1 ver.2 less so, bringing it in-line with the HD-800. If the track IS recorded that way, the T1 (either version) will reveal it, so let me just point that out. I'm NOT saying that it magically "fixes" what is there. But I do consider that while the level of detail is there, it is presented "better". Best analogy I can think of is a slightly jagged knife edge vs a sharpened, & finished knife edge. Both may cut cleanly, but there is less effort behind the latter, and if you REALLY look, you'll notice that the cut is smoother. That is the T1 ver.2 to me. The T1 ver.1 still sounds wonderful, and you have to pick the right music to have the differences really showcase themselves.

All that said, I'm a part-time basshead who loves his warm and lush HD-650s to this day, but right now I am listening to BBC National Orchestra of Wales. I am TRULY happy with the sound. Hi Res sound file, and there are flute and piccolo segments that I am enthralled by. Not too bright for my taste at all. Is my iCAN amp a little warmer? Yes. But it is not like this iDSD signature is any less enjoyable for me.

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #5,159 of 9,047
So, if I'm listening to huge choral or orchestral pieces, I'd reach for the HD-800. If I'm intending to listen to most anythIng else, I'd reach for the T1 ver.2.

Thanks. Hope to own a TOTL headphone in the future and good to know what to look for. The T1.2 is a lot cheaper too. Gonna look at the new HD 800S too and see how it's improvements compare.

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #5,160 of 9,047
To me, the T1 ver.1 could get a little shrill a bit easier than I would like. The T1 ver.2 less so, bringing it in-line with the HD-800. If the track IS recorded that way, the T1 (either version) will reveal it, so let me just point that out. I'm NOT saying that it magically "fixes" what is there. But I do consider that while the level of detail is there, it is presented "better". Best analogy I can think of is a slightly jagged knife edge vs a sharpened, & finished knife edge. Both may cut cleanly, but there is less effort behind the latter, and if you REALLY look, you'll notice that the cut is smoother. That is the T1 ver.2 to me. The T1 ver.1 still sounds wonderful, and you have to pick the right music to have the differences really showcase themselves.

All that said, I'm a part-time basshead who loves his warm and lush HD-650s to this day, but right now I am listening to BBC National Orchestra of Wales. I am TRULY happy with the sound. Hi Res sound file, and there are flute and piccolo segments that I am enthralled by. Not too bright for my taste at all. Is my iCAN amp a little warmer? Yes. But it is not like this iDSD signature is any less enjoyable for me.

A far as I remember Beyer T1 (vers.1) has in top same 'problem' as HD800 but in higher (8kHz) area, so some hp users don't love/use T1 generation 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back