iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 7, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #3,406 of 9,047
Not really, I tested PC vs X5 and the difference is big. Also coax and optical use the source's clock in general but USB uses the DAC's clock (which in iDSD's case is a really good one)

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #3,407 of 9,047
Not really, I tested PC vs X5 and the difference is big. Also coax and optical use the source's clock in general but USB uses the DAC's clock (which in iDSD's case is a really good one)

Anyways i considered idsd as a good desk option.

But it is less portable than hugo, at least hugo is smaller as a general size, whereas idsd is longer, it would not fit in a pocket.

I am sorry that i had not had the ocasion to try it from a laptop, i promise that next time i will test it from a laptop, and see if it sounds much better.

In a general sense the DAC in idsd is extremely potent, it can output great results, but i like using interpolation algorythms that make everything more natural, and better, [I am designing an algorithm for interpolation myself], but as far as bitperfect idsd goes, it was amazing.

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #3,408 of 9,047

filters on idsd are upsampling algorytms, bit perfect means bit perfect, the other two do some upsampling, or at least, different interpolation algorithms.

to state the least, i liked standard filter better than either bit sample or minimum phase.

I think you are meant to say oversampling. Upsampling and oversampling are not the same thing.

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #3,409 of 9,047

I think you are meant to say oversampling. Upsampling and oversampling are not the same thing.

... oversampling. i am sorry, i got them confused because of english translatation of the words.

Thanks a lot for correcting me!

i got them confused a lot of times because of coherency problems of english understanding, and working a little too much.

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #3,410 of 9,047
Anyways i considered idsd as a good desk option.

But it is less portable than hugo, at least hugo is smaller as a general size, whereas idsd is longer, it would not fit in a pocket.

I am sorry that i had not had the ocasion to try it from a laptop, i promise that next time i will test it from a laptop, and see if it sounds much better.

In a general sense the DAC in idsd is extremely potent, it can output great results, but i like using interpolation algorythms that make everything more natural, and better, [I am designing an algorithm for interpolation myself], but as far as bitperfect idsd goes, it was amazing.

Based on the light on the idsd,playing DSD files on the x5 results in dsd dop

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #3,411 of 9,047
  Can any Mac JRiver Media Player users (under OS X 10.10) confirm that they can bitstream DSD audio to iDSD Micro or up-sample PCM to 2x DSD? All I get is very low volume music and a lot of static. That is, JRiver is set to "Options --> Audio --> Settings --> Bit streaming=DSD".

I have tested the same unit under Windows 7 (on the same laptop + JRiver Asio Driver) and it works fine so the unit itself or the PC are not faulty.

Thanks in advance.

Sure, no problem here.  Mac OS X 10.10.x, JRiver Media Center 20.0.87, upsampling PCM to 2xDSD, bitstreaming DSD to iFi Micro iDSD via USB.

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #3,414 of 9,047
Here's a few pixs of my custom cable for my iDSD Micro. I wanted to get rid of the USB adaptor which this cable does. Sourced the cable from http://www.elijahaudio.com

from their site: 'All wiring is Audience OCC cryo treated copper. Coloured outer sleeves are hand dyed, unbleached 100% cotton. Internal tubing is unbleached 100% cotton.'

Like all cables, these need some burn-in time. I probably have 25-30 hours w 100 being the point to where they have settled in. So far, the music just seems to get better each hour I use the cables. Have to say everything just seems to open up more, sounds relaxed and full bodied. Nothing edgy or harsh.

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #3,416 of 9,047
Here's a few pixs of my custom cable for my iDSD Micro. I wanted to get rid of the USB adaptor which this cable does. Sourced the cable from http://www.elijahaudio.com

from their site: 'All wiring is Audience OCC cryo treated copper. Coloured outer sleeves are hand dyed, unbleached 100% cotton. Internal tubing is unbleached 100% cotton.'

Like all cables, these need some burn-in time. I probably have 25-30 hours w 100 being the point to where they have settled in. So far, the music just seems to get better each hour I use the cables. Have to say everything just seems to open up more, sounds relaxed and full bodied. Nothing edgy or harsh.

That is one honkin' USB cable! Is the reason for two "ropes" to separate power and signal?

Didn't iFi design in a male Type A socket so that iDevice users could connect directly without an adapter?

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #3,417 of 9,047
Beta firmware - Testing Solutions to Spotify/Tidal streaming on Android and DSD256 on MAC

Warning. 

Please try this only if you are comfortable with upgrading the firmware on your nano iDSD/micro iDSD/Retro Stereo 50 Beta firmware allows one to:

1) Version 4.8 Beta - Output audio for Android if you encounter lack of compatibility with Device X and Spotify/Tidal* etc., USB Host mode remains required. 

1. Devices tested so far Sony Xperia Z Ultra and Samsung Galaxy S4, allows system audio, including Games and Android Music Playback via iFi iDSD etc.
  2. We have developed a Firmware workaround that enables this for several Android Phones in our possession, but need wider testing.

2) Version 4.8.4 - DSD256 via DoP for iDSD nano (and upcoming iDAC2 micro) is now supported, using a special beta firmware. This firmware is redundant on iDSD micro and Retro Stereo 50.

1. This is primarily for Mac, for Windows ASIO Native remains recommended.
  2. Note that this Firmware unlocks 705k/768kHz sample rates on the iDSD nano and iDAC2 micro with hardware that mutes on 705/768k PCM. 
  3. As Mac's default the audio to the highest rate this means there will be no audio until you lower the sample rate in the control panel to 384khz.

1. Note that on Windows either Firmware update requires the Version 2.23 iFi Driver, earlier versions are NOT supported.

Please open a support ticket here to receive this firmware

http://support.ifi-audio.com/

Or open a ticket and contact your iCLUB conciege

Thanks

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 8, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #3,418 of 9,047

1) Version 4.8 Beta - Output audio for Android if you encounter lack of compatibility with Device X and Spotify/Tidal* etc., USB Host mode remains required. 

1. Devices tested so far Sony Xperia Z Ultra and Samsung Galaxy S4, allows system audio, including Games and Android Music Playback via iFi iDSD etc.
  2. We have developed a Firmware workaround that enables this for several Android Phones in our possession, but need wider testing.

Wow great! I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I use UAPP with the micro iDSD, with a coming support for other normal apps would be great! Do you have on the Samsung Galaxy S4 still Android 4.4.x or already 5.x for your testing?

I know this is a Beta and pretty new, but do you exept a time line for the public release of this huge improvement for Android users? Thanks.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #3,419 of 9,047
Thank you iFI for the Mac support although HQplayer supports the iDSD micro DoP up to DSD256.  I hope that the official firmware release will address the USB issues of it loosing lock intermittently and have to unplug USB and reconnect to resolve the issue.  Miska the developer of HQplayer has had the same issue as well and I'm sure I'm not the only one who have issue with the USB?

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #3,420 of 9,047
  Thank you iFI for the Mac support although HQplayer supports the iDSD micro DoP up to DSD256.  I hope that the official firmware release will address the USB issues of it loosing lock intermittently and have to unplug USB and reconnect to resolve the issue.  Miska the developer of HQplayer has had the same issue as well and I'm sure I'm not the only one who have issue with the USB?

I believe this firmware 4.8.4  does nothing for the Micro as far as DoP goes as it already has DoP up to DSD 256. T.his is primarily for the Nano.
This firmware is redundant on iDSD micro and Retro Stereo 50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back