iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 4, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #3,376 of 9,047
More about SmartPower and Turbo mode:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711217/idsd-micro-crowd-design-the-meaty-monsters-are-flying-out-page-95/765#post_10631317

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711217/idsd-micro-crowd-designed-happy-easter-free-dsd-tracks-from-native-dsd-music-page-135/885#post_10646012

An index to all the important posts can be found in post #1 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711217/idsd-micro-crowd-designed-happy-easter-free-dsd-tracks-from-native-dsd-music-page-135

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #3,377 of 9,047
Thanks to iFi you make a 200 Euro IEM to a real nice "HD 800 replacment" with your iDSD.

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #3,378 of 9,047
Wrong.

A USB port can supply 2.5 Watts maximum.

Turbo mode uses the battery.

OK, my bad. I doubt that at the volume I listened to the battery had to help, but thanks for the info.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #3,379 of 9,047
To me, it feels like the IEMatch switch on the bottom of the Micro iDSD doesn't have the firm detents as the side Power Mode and Filter switches do.
It feels like it could be accidentally moved to a different setting very easily just by brushing by it.  
It just doesn't have that more positive "click" that the side switches have as you change the setting.
For a unit that is meant to be portable and will get moved around a lot, it should take a very deliberate action to change any setting.

Does anyone with a Micro iDSD find the same thing with their unit?

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #3,380 of 9,047
  To me, it feels like the IEMatch switch on the bottom of the Micro iDSD doesn't have the firm detents as the side Power Mode and Filter switches do.
It feels like it could be accidentally moved to a different setting very easily just by brushing by it.  
It just doesn't have that more positive "click" that the side switches have as you change the setting.
For a unit that is meant to be portable and will get moved around a lot, it should take a very deliberate action to change any setting.

yes.
I verify my IEMatch switch every day.  and anytime I relocate the iDSD micro to another room.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #3,381 of 9,047

yes.
I verify my IEMatch switch every dat.  and anytime I relocate the iDSD micro to another room.

I was thinking of sending it back to get another unit but it sounds like that is just the way it is.  Bummer.
The Micro iDSD strikes me as an otherwise high quality unit that is somewhat let down by the quality of those slide switches.
They just don't have the quality feel the rest of the unit does, IMHO.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #3,382 of 9,047
Yes the ematch slider is touchy. I installed those sticky silicon bubbles on the bottom of each corner and problem fixed.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #3,383 of 9,047

[/quote

Mine has a very obvious detent and I can't imagine it being switched by accident.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #3,384 of 9,047

[/quote

Mine has a very obvious detent and I can't imagine it being switched by accident.

By contrast, I constantly find mine moved from one setting to another when I haven't even moved it (or only to slid it along a table slightly - and this is *with* the feet applied!).

All the other switches are much more firm - shame the only one that is on the bottom (aside from the direct / preamp switch that I don't need) is the one that is so touchy :/

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #3,387 of 9,047
It's really a nice little unit but if they were to replace those fiddly slide switches with some really short, slightly recessed metal toggles (which would be more befitting the styling) and had a separate additional battery charge indicator light, it would be even better.  
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #3,388 of 9,047
The switch problem could probably be fairly easily remedied by  iFi in the form of molded rubber inserts/caps (a bit like those for the input/output jacks) for the variously sized switches that would fit snugly over the switch button and into the surrounding slot to stop it moving. You could have one for the middle position and another for the side positions (as the slot/switch is symmetrical you would just flip the insert 180 degrees for one side or t'other). Just an idea anyway. As I (currently) don't use the Micro outside of a desktop setup it's not really an issue for me personally.

Other than that I'll just say I'm a happy camper thus far! This is the first hardware I've owned which is capable of decoding DSD, and I'm blown away with the difference between PCM and DSD. I have to say I was previously skeptical about these reported discrepancies, but it really is obvious. I'd say the clearest difference is in the top end: with DSD material it's very natural sounding and not at all harsh or brittle as PCM can be. Natively recorded DSD material just sounds incredible and is really addictive to listen to (you guys absolutely must hear some of the Harmonia Mundi, Pentatone or Channel Classics DSD recordings for example). Of course it's no slouch with PCM either
biggrin.gif

Bravo iFi!

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #3,389 of 9,047
Yes the ematch slider is touchy. I installed those sticky silicon bubbles on the bottom of each corner and problem fixed.

Hi All,

This is how we do it too - and then the iPhone + micro iDSD do not come in contact and scratch one another.

The buttons were moulded to be raised by 1mm for ease of use as we tried them flush and it wasnt as easy to "grip".

Cheers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back