iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 1, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #3,361 of 9,047
Actually no sound comes out of Chrome in general for my iFi. I think it may have to do with some Apple and Google dispute right now... 

It is to do your Pc or tablet or phone. Read the article again. Me and others have it working but if you can't you should check your device not the converter. It is not how computer audio works. Maybe something maybe nuthing you can do. Read up on your device yourself or ask their techies. Just trying to help :)

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #3,363 of 9,047
Hi,

Long time no post. I just had a quick question about turbo mode. I just got the idsd micro today and tried it a bit. I plugged it into my computer, set the amp to "normal" mode and listened to a bit of music through my hd700. It worked fine but the sound was a bit quiet for my taste. I turned the amp off, put it in "turbo" mode, and turned it back on (I obviously was careful about the initial volume setting, no more than 9 pm on the volume dial). I let some music come through, and a horrendous buzzing sound was coming from the left channel while the right one played normally. Worried something might have broken, I tried to use a old set of earbuds (reliable when testing for defective gear). Obviously, the volume dial was almost on off with these, but it didn't matter, the left earbud litterally blew up (loud pop, burning smell).

Am I crazy to believe that the HD700 is able to handle the 4w the idsd outputs on turbo mode ? The only answer I got from the support is basically that I was silly for using turbo mode ...

Any help would be appreciated.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #3,364 of 9,047
First, I'd open a trouble ticket with ifi. Second, where is the iem match setting? That will make a big difference in volume level. Can you try the micro on a different pc?

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #3,365 of 9,047
I did open a trouble ticket with ifi and just got the standard answer as mentioned above. The IEM match setting was off, but as I said, the volume never went past 9pm on the unit. I am not willing to test it anywhere else, giving the fact that it almost destroyed my HD700. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #3,366 of 9,047
  I did open a trouble ticket with ifi and just got the standard answer as mentioned above. The IEM match setting was off, but as I said, the volume never went past 9pm on the unit. I am not willing to test it anywhere else, giving the fact that it almost destroyed my HD700. 

Seems like that could be DC leakage on the left channel, which is more likely to burn the coil of the transducer than just loud volume. The iDSD micro could very well be a lemon. If you have a multimeter or volt meter, you can play a tone (say 1kHz) and measure if there is any DC voltage on either channel.

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #3,367 of 9,047
Its a bit much when you have to test a unit yourself after being told that you're basically 'silly' by the manufacturer.

Mine plays fine on all modes so there is a problem with yours.

Not fit for purpose and ask for a replacement comes to mind here.

That kind of power could do an iem in but if it is dc, you could end up putting a claim in to them for damaging your headphone due to a unit unfit for purpose.

I can't believe that support would come out with a reply like that.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #3,368 of 9,047
Just to be clear, the ifi support team was always nice and professional with me. It's just that their first answer was a standard message not really acknowledging my problem. The issue is now taken care of and I should receive a new unit soon. I will however have to test extensively my hd700 to see if any real damage was done.

Cheers

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #3,369 of 9,047
Ok, thanks. You've put my mind at rest. I love the Micro and its capabilities but it's never good to hear that a manufacturer fobs you off.

I'm very glad to see that you have a new unit on the way.

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #3,370 of 9,047
Hi,

Long time no post. I just had a quick question about turbo mode. I just got the idsd micro today and tried it a bit. I plugged it into my computer, set the amp to "normal" mode and listened to a bit of music through my hd700. It worked fine but the sound was a bit quiet for my taste. I turned the amp off, put it in "turbo" mode, and turned it back on (I obviously was careful about the initial volume setting, no more than 9 pm on the volume dial). I let some music come through, and a horrendous buzzing sound was coming from the left channel while the right one played normally. Worried something might have broken, I tried to use a old set of earbuds (reliable when testing for defective gear). Obviously, the volume dial was almost on off with these, but it didn't matter, the left earbud litterally blew up (loud pop, burning smell).

Am I crazy to believe that the HD700 is able to handle the 4w the idsd outputs on turbo mode ? The only answer I got from the support is basically that I was silly for using turbo mode ...

Any help would be appreciated.

When you get your replacement iDSD, CHARGE IT FOR 24 HOURS as instructed before first use!

Trying to use Turbo mode with a flat or nearly flat battery is asking for trouble.

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #3,371 of 9,047
Its a bit much when you have to test a unit yourself after being told that you're basically 'silly' by the manufacturer.

Mine plays fine on all modes so there is a problem with yours.

Not fit for purpose and ask for a replacement comes to mind here.

That kind of power could do an iem in but if it is dc, you could end up putting a claim in to them for damaging your headphone due to a unit unfit for purpose.

I can't believe that support would come out with a reply like that.

not mind the earbuds but i wouldnt run my precious momentums on Turbo - the instruction manual does warn people to not do this though still take your unit back to the shop and get it tested/swapped or refunded. hope all goes well buddy

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #3,372 of 9,047
Driving my TH900 I only need to set the gain to Eco and IEMatch in the middle. iDSD is just so powerful that makes me want to grab another 300+ohm flagship lol

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #3,373 of 9,047

Thank Native DSD Music it's Easter weekend.

Head-Fi readers can download a variety of FREE DSD Tracks at NativeDSD.com.

Our friends at Native DSD have also made a 20% discount on a Jazz compilation and a Classical compilation.

The coupon code is NativeDSD - valid through May 1st.

Each album ends up costing about €6,50EUR / $7,00USD.

NativeDSD downloads are available worldwide and currently has customers with accounts from 99 different countries.

Happy Easter message from iFi and NativeDSD (and Floor at Native DSD also said to go easy on the Easter Eggs)
regular_smile .gif

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 3, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #3,374 of 9,047
When you get your replacement iDSD, CHARGE IT FOR 24 HOURS as instructed before first use!

Trying to use Turbo mode with a flat or nearly flat battery is asking for trouble.

It was of course running on usb power, nothing to do with a flat battery.

not mind the earbuds but i wouldnt run my precious momentums on Turbo - the instruction manual does warn people to not do this though still take your unit back to the shop and get it tested/swapped or refunded. hope all goes well buddy

The amp is powerful, yes, but it's just an amp. They have to put the warning for obvious reasons, but there are other as powerful amps out there and you don't get paranoid about plugging headphones in (The Burson Audio Soloist is a good example).
It's an amp, it doesn't have the power of a thousand suns, hence why my problem was considered as a real one and is taken care of :)

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #3,375 of 9,047

It was of course running on usb power, nothing to do with a flat battery.

Wrong.

A USB port can supply 2.5 Watts maximum.

Turbo mode uses the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back