iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Mar 29, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #3,331 of 9,047
Question to iFi Audio

Is there any light on the end of the tunnel, that the micro iDSD get due a firmware upgrade a option to identfly the current battery level?

I'm a happy owner since last year, but I hate if I use the micro iDSD and after over an hour usage it shuts down, because the battery is short before empty. I know if the battery is pretty low the led light goes to red color, but this doesn't helps in this case.

I would really like to have a indicator on power on the micro iDSD like green und blue blinking 50% battery left, green and cyan blinking 75% left etc. I would be enough to have three battery levels like 25%, 50% and 75%.

Thanks!

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #3,333 of 9,047
Hi,

Forza Audio Works. Great team, great service and great product at a reasonable price.

We use Forza in our show equipment from HE-6 to LCD-X to Alclair RSMs.

Tell'em iFi sent you. No discount but they will give you lots of TLC.

regular_smile%20.gif

It's a shame they don't sell any short cables with a female USB A connection (that I can see, anyway) as they do look nice and tidy!

I was ideally looking for something in the 5-8cm region so I'm not carrying unnecessary cable length while out and about. :)

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #3,334 of 9,047
Hi,

Forza Audio Works. Great team, great service and great product at a reasonable price.

We use Forza in our show equipment from HE-6 to LCD-X to Alclair RSMs.

Tell'em iFi sent you. No discount but they will give you lots of TLC.

regular_smile%20.gif
This is exactly what I was still in need of for my first portable audio setup. Thanks!

Question: Has anybody tried using the micro to drive monitor speakers?

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #3,335 of 9,047
I use it to put an optical signal from the tv into some Roland active monitors. It works well, and you get a lovely clean audio from the tv.

It's an extremely versatile amp in the various ways that it can be connected. Apart from its marvellous sound, that's another of its strengths that isn't mentioned a great deal.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #3,336 of 9,047
This is exactly what I was still in need of for my first portable audio setup. Thanks!

Question: Has anybody tried using the micro to drive monitor speakers?

My iTube is spectacular with the M-Audio BX5a.
Controlled bass, sweet mids and not fatiguing highs.
I am sure that the iTube deserves a better match and I am patiently waiting for the active monitors from iFi.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #3,337 of 9,047
What's the deal with getting the gain set properly on the itube? DIP switches drive me nuts and very cumbersome to make changes. A switch on the front face would have been much appreciated. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #3,338 of 9,047
  Question to iFi Audio

Is there any light on the end of the tunnel, that the micro iDSD get due a firmware upgrade a option to identfly the current battery level?

I'm a happy owner since last year, but I hate if I use the micro iDSD and after over an hour usage it shuts down, because the battery is short before empty. I know if the battery is pretty low the led light goes to red color, but this doesn't helps in this case.

I would really like to have a indicator on power on the micro iDSD like green und blue blinking 50% battery left, green and cyan blinking 75% left etc. I would be enough to have three battery levels like 25%, 50% and 75%.

Thanks!

Hi,

We have no plans - as it requires a major re-write of the battery code which is not a trivial task. But we have relayed your feedback to R&D.

Rather than flagging when towards empty, we prefer to recommend that the mDSD is kept on full-charge (recharge to 100% often) as this is the best for max battery life.

On IEMs (Eco mode) it should run for ~12 hours and large headphones (Turbo mode) ~6 hours.

On RCAs set to Eco mode (2v output) it should run constantly (pls use the supplied USB3.0 cable).

Cheers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 30, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #3,339 of 9,047

Hi,

We have no plans - as it requires a major re-write of the battery code which is not a trivial task. But we have relayed your feedback to R&D.

Rather than flagging when towards empty, we prefer to recommend that the mDSD is kept on full-charge (recharge to 100% often) as this is the best for max battery life.

On IEMs (Eco mode) it should run for ~12 hours and large headphones (Turbo mode) ~6 hours.

On RCAs set to Eco mode (2v output) it should run constantly (pls use the supplied USB3.0 cable).

Cheers.

Thank you for they reply!

I use the micro iDSD only for portable use. My normal runtimes are 9 hours in normal mode with my most used cans the Sennheiser HD800, input signal via coax or USB.

All my portable gear has battery level indicator, I don't need a rocket science with high accuracy, but to have a rough idea what battery level I have currently would be a really big big benefit.

I love the power, performance and clean sound signature from the micro iDSD and I'm very happy, but if in future this change can happen that would be awesome (not only for me - for other portable only users too).

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #3,340 of 9,047
...we prefer to recommend that the mDSD is kept on full-charge (recharge to 100% often) as this is the best for max battery life.

Don't you mean re-charge to 80% to get the best for max battery life?
This only happens in certain charging situations which I've now forgotten. If the 80% rule really does extend battery life by years, I request that the default should be 80% in ALL charging conditions, with the option to override to 100% for the odd occasion when a couple of extra hours really matters. The override could be set by a complex combination of existing switches and LED colour codes :wink:

I'll also echo the enhancement requests to show battery power status. Best done by having a second LED, as the current single LED is already heavily overused.
I realise this sort of change won't come any time soon, and may need to wait for a Mk 2 version, but I think it will really be appreciated by future owners. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #3,341 of 9,047
I've been thinking about the recent discussion of battery life. When using the portability of a dac/amp, not only will it's battery get drained but likewise does the charge of the phone battery. I thought about making plans to try NFC so that my phone will still have available battery after the dac battery depletes. Like many, my cell phone is like my lifeline.

Has there be any of you who's tried wireless charging with their cell phone so they could stay charging while playing music?

Mar 30, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #3,342 of 9,047
For me the micro is always in a charging mode on my desktop and during sleeping and has a full charge every day when I take it out of the house. That way I do not had to be concerned if the battery could last for the second day. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #3,343 of 9,047
  Question to iFi Audio

Thanks!

Hi,

Cheers.

Probably the battery level could be relayed to the ifi Audio Control Panel on PC ?
At least we can see it on the control panel if it is difficult to gauge from the single LED indicator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back