iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Dec 4, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #1,831 of 9,047
IMO, yes the Minimum Phase is bit warm, others are not.

For Audeze LCD-2, Turbo is too much, Normal has too little volume range, Eco is just right, both subjectively and objectively. Eco is 2Vrms, which is more than enough even considering headroom for dynamic peaks like soundtracks or classical music.

P.S.: This shows how powerful the iFi micro iDSD is.

In my experienced, only Turbo with iEMatch on causes audible distortion. Turbo for the LCD was just too much. When I demoed the LCD-2 (not sure what revision), I would use Normal with iEMatch off or iEMatch in High Sensitivity. No distortion in using iEMatch on both Eco and Normal. I also find Normal to add more body to the sound as compared to Eco hence my using of Normal with High Sensitivity or even Ultra Sensitivity sometimes for my efficient Philips Fidelio L2. Could be placebo but as long as I'm happy.

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #1,832 of 9,047
In my experienced, only Turbo with iEMatch on causes audible distortion. Turbo for the LCD was just too much. When I demoed the LCD-2 (not sure what revision), I would use Normal with iEMatch off or iEMatch in High Sensitivity. No distortion in using iEMatch on both Eco and Normal. I also find Normal to add more body to the sound as compared to Eco hence my using of Normal with High Sensitivity or even Ultra Sensitivity sometimes for my efficient Philips Fidelio L2. Could be placebo but as long as I'm happy.

Read somewhere (can't remember where, can't find it again) that for Audezes, recommeded is the Normal mode. However, I'm not comfortable with using Normal as the volume range is too small...normal listening position for me is just 9 o'clock; more than this and its too loud for me.

However, I find the Normal mode to sound different too. Yeah, bit more body is a good description.

Anybody from iFi can confirm why this is so?

Cheers.

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #1,833 of 9,047

Mmmmm...ok thanks mate, so much to learn about the iDSD. Can't wait for my next bonus pay!

Just found this review from ClieOS:

iPurifier
To explain it in a simple way, I guess you can say that iPurifier is a kind of EMI filter for USB transmission. I have tried it on my desktop setup, with both nano iDSD and micro iDAC, but doesn’t found it to make any noticeable difference. I do however find that it darken the background when pairing with my Xperia Z2 + nano iDSD a bit, though the effect is pretty subtle. Given it is meant to filter EMI, it makes sense as such since my desktop setup hasn’t really known to have suffer any EMI issue at all. I guess iPurifier is one of those devices that would really help if there is already a persistent case of EMI over the USB connection. Otherwise, you might be able to get away without one. It is more of a fine tuning tool rather than an instant improvement.

Here:
http://ifi-audio.com/reviews/clieos-pens-a-very-technically-proficient-review-of-the-nano-idsdicanipurifier/

Also here too...
http://www.inearmatters.net/2014/08/impression-ifi-nano-idsd-and-ican-with.html

Yeah, on the nano version its not built-in. Only on the micro iDSD; maybe that's why the iPurifier has no effect on the micro. You have the nano, not micro?

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #1,834 of 9,047
Read somewhere (can't remember where, can't find it again) that for Audezes, recommeded is the Normal mode. However, I'm not comfortable with using Normal as the volume range is too small...normal listening position for me is just 9 o'clock; more than this and its too loud for me.

However, I find the Normal mode to sound different too. Yeah, bit more body is a good description.

Anybody from iFi can confirm why this is so?

Cheers.

Volume range surely cannot be that small with iEMatch turned on.

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #1,835 of 9,047
Volume range surely cannot be that small with iEMatch turned on.

I'm wary about using IEMatch when not needed. Increase in output impedance?

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #1,836 of 9,047
This:

Quote:

Hi,

1. Not only IEMs as some headphones out there primarily designed for iPhones and such also benefit from iEMatch. Not just ultra-sensitive IEMs will be catered for.

2. See below:

iEMatch - Output Impedances

Off                             < 1 Ohm
High-Sensitivity      < 4 Ohm 
Ultra-Sensitivity      < 1 Ohm

4 Ohm is very low by any standard. And < 4 Ohm is still more than low enough for Headphones >= 16 Ohm to have less than +/-1dB response variation (usually considered inaudible).

Thanks.

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #1,837 of 9,047
I'm wary about using IEMatchwhen not needed. Increase in output impedance?

although to me every setting sounds great but i would like to know what is the ideal setting for audeze

i am using eco and high sensitivity 

what i don't hear any difference in at is this polarity setting

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #1,838 of 9,047
although to me every setting sounds great but i would like to know what is the ideal setting for audeze

"Ideal" is something subjective so we can't exactly tell you what will be best for you… only best for ourselves. When I demoed the LCD-2, I found dynamics to be better on Normal with iEMatch off or at Hifh Sensitivity. I used the BitPerfect Digital Filter as the background noise not very audible even when I concentrate to hear it. I'd have to turn the volume way past listening levels to hear the hum/noise with the LCD. I easily hear it at listening volume with my Philips Fildeio L2 though. The BitPerfect filter seems to keep the sound closer to neutral but still extremely smooth. I hear decay to be faster and notes to be quicker slightly opening up the sound and increasing separation compared to the warmer, fuller sound of Minimum Phase. These differences aren't drastic but it does bring me closer to the music and having the choice between those two is something I enjoy.

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #1,839 of 9,047

Check this out re Audeze requirements:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/509710/audeze-lcd-2-impressions-thread/4845#post_11092766

Looks like Eco mode with 2Vrms is sufficient, even accounting for headroom for dynamic peaks.

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #1,840 of 9,047
"Ideal" is something subjective so we can't exactly tell you what will be best for you… only best for ourselves. When I demoed the LCD-2, I found dynamics to be better on Normal with iEMatch off or at Hifh Sensitivity. I used the BitPerfect Digital Filter as the background noise not very audible even when I concentrate to hear it. I'd have to turn the volume way past listening levels to hear the hum/noise with the LCD. I easily hear it at listening volume with my Philips Fildeio L2 though. The BitPerfect filter seems to keep the sound closer to neutral but still extremely smooth. I hear decay to be faster and notes to be quicker slightly opening up the sound and increasing separation compared to the warmer, fuller sound of Minimum Phase. These differences aren't drastic but it does bring me closer to the music and having the choice between those two is something I enjoy.

I like Minimum Phase filter the best. Your description of it is exactly my description too. I just like the iFi house sound with it. Deeper, fuller bass, and smooth but not overly smooth mids and treble without sacrificing details at all. Silky smoooooooth plus deep full bodied bass. :)

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,841 of 9,047
Well, I've just about had it. I reported earlier about some weird artifacts (clicking and popping noises). It went away for awhile but has now reappeared with a vengeance, in every mode, with every format except DSD, of which I have none.. Now it's accompanied by a dropout in preamplifier mode literally every minute (I timed it). It's the strangest thing. I've opened a ticket w/ ifi and I'll let you know. I'm pissed because I really like the sound and features of this thing when it's working properly. Now my Explorer and E07K sound better. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #1,842 of 9,047
Well, I've just about had it. I reported earlier about some weird artifacts (clicking and popping noises). It went away for awhile but has now reappeared with a vengeance, in every mode, with every format except DSD, of which I have none.. Now it's accompanied by a dropout in preamplifier mode literally every minute (I timed it). It's the strangest thing. I've opened a ticket w/ ifi and I'll let you know. I'm pissed because I really like the sound and features of this thing when it's working properly. Now my Explorer and E07K sound better. 

Wow, first time I hear of such a serious breakdown.

Hope they fix/replace this for you real quick.

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #1,843 of 9,047

Very unfortunate

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #1,844 of 9,047
Very unfortunate

What's unfortunate is that these "breakdowns" has to be posted publicly when it's not clear there's nothing wrong, procedurally and mechanical-wise, on upstream gear and the user haven't finished resolving the issue yet with iFi audio themselves.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #1,845 of 9,047
What's unfortunate is that these "breakdowns" has to be posted publicly when it's not clear there's nothing wrong, procedurally and mechanical-wise, on upstream gear and the user haven't finished resolving the issue yet with iFi audio themselves.

Really? So, if one cannot say something nice, say nothing? I've been posting about this item, here, since I received it, most of which posts have been very positive. But when I have an issue, suddenly I should keep quiet? OMG. Wouldn't want to piss off a vendor. Have you been reading this thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back