iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Nov 27, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #1,696 of 9,047
Thank you !It answers most of my questions. :). I will do more research on the thin signature though. I lived in a small city in Canada. I will never get a chance to audition these gears before I pull the trigger. Sigh......

Do remember it's warmish neutral if used as a DAC/amp!! 

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #1,697 of 9,047
alright i ordered one and i hope it meets my needs and expectations

so to use it with audeze lcd2 and iPod whats the preferred settings

and to use it with the Shure 846 iem whats the best settings

Nov 27, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #1,698 of 9,047
This is also very subjective.  One man's thin sound can be another man's just right sound.  Then there are the far extremes of thin/thick sound we can mostly agree upon but the middle ground is more nuanced.  

The iDSD amp is very good.  Is it the best one can do?  Naturally no, but I have been happy enough with it that after owning the iDSD micro for 3 months I still have not rushed out to buy a standalone amp.  Before now I've always used a standalone amp.  With that said, I will eventually get one because there are times I might even want a more full sound.  With the PS-500 and TH-600, I'm already getting a nice full sound from these headphones and the pairing with the iDSD is fantastic.  If I were to get a less meaty headphone like the HD800 or even with my Rockets, I'd be interested in very fun amps like my favorites the 2Stepdance and Portaphile 627 which I would say give a more full presentation than the iDSD's amp.  I've been thinking Lyr2, Asgard 2, Sunrise Project Polaris, Little Dot, SR-71A/B, Woo, etc.  Just haven't made up my mind and I'm in no rush.

I would just try out the iDSD micro and worry about a standalone amp later.  I think you will come across times you will want to use the onboard amp and times you will want to use a standalone amp.  This could be dependent on the IEMs and headphones for which you might want to complement's each's strength and not overpower the sound by say thick headphone sound + thick standalone amp sound.  Very simplistic but I think you get the idea here.  I will also be interested in hearing the DAC separated from the amp section.  Then I will get a true sense of how good the DAC section is.  I think I will find that the DAC section is going to be stronger than the amp section.  The amp section is still nothing to sneeze at and I'll be curious to when iFi releases their desktop DAC/amp unit.   

Quote:
  is this another opinion that the idsd is on thin side of sound signature, as the confusion is getting more and more in this thread to the sound signature

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #1,699 of 9,047
i also ordered alo rx mk3 to connect it to idsd just in case as i know i that i like things to reach full potential with my audeze 

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #1,700 of 9,047
  Here to report that this combo works like a charm:

Sony NWZ-A15 (or A16 / A17) + WMC-NWH10 (OTG cable) + iDSD micro.

iDSD nano will work as well.

A15-iDSDm.jpg

Hi,
I am just curious that with such a combo, the stock player on A15 can do its job or we need to use something else? I am asking because I want hook it up with my ZX1 , and I hear that the usb audio player pro is not compatible with zx1, that leaves us the stock player as the only option here. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #1,701 of 9,047

Do remember it's warmish neutral if used as a DAC/amp!! 

Thanks for the input. 
I do have a buying question now: did anyone buy this in Canada. I just couldn't find an "official" price tag for this in Canada. One Canadian dealer actually told me that they can offer me an open box demo version for CDN 550 (incl tax and shipping). I have no idea if this is a good price or not. Any comment is largely appreciated. Thanks! 

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,702 of 9,047
  Hi,
I am just curious that with such a combo, the stock player on A15 can do its job or we need to use something else? I am asking because I want hook it up with my ZX1 , and I hear that the usb audio player pro is not compatible with zx1, that leaves us the stock player as the only option here. 

Well, A15 runs on prepriatory firmware, so there is no such a thing as 'stock' vs. non-stock, as you can not install anything on it. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #1,703 of 9,047
Well, A15 runs on prepriatory firmware, so there is no such a thing as 'stock' vs. non-stock, as you can not install anything on it. 

Oops... I thought it is another Android -Walkman. Anyway, I have seen someone connected zx1 to a hugo portable dac/amp and he just uses the stock player. Problom solved.

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #1,704 of 9,047

What digital filter is being used? Minimum Phase filter, the only recommended filter for listening is no way thin.

I think people should realize that, when you're using a DAC, the chosen digital filter to be used is very important because this affects the sound substantially.

This is why the iFi iDSDs are truly great, yeah including the nano version. I don't know any portable amp that has user-interchangeable digital filters. The Minimum Phase filter is the filter closest to analogue that you can get. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #1,705 of 9,047
I always thought I had mine in minimum phase but turns out it's been in bit-perfect mode. I'm gonna have a listen tomorrow with the Rockets to determine which filter I like the most. I can say bit-perfect complemented the TH600 and PS500 really well. Let's see what I've been missing by not using minimum phase.

What digital filter is being used? Minimum Phase filter, the only recommended filter for listening is no way thin.

I think people should realize that, when you're using a DAC, the chosen digital filter to be used is very important because this affects the sound substantially.

This is why the iFi iDSDs are truly great, yeah including the nano version. I don't know any portable amp that has user-interchangeable digital filters. The Minimum Phase filter is the filter closest to analogue that you can get. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #1,706 of 9,047
  i also ordered alo rx mk3 to connect it to idsd just in case as i know i that i like things to reach full potential with my audeze 

Why would you need the Alo Rx Mk3? By iDSD you mean the nano or micro? You may need it with the nano, if your Audeze is the LCD-3, but if its the iFi micro iDSD for LCD-2, its much more than enough for the Audeze. Couldn't even get it past 2 o'clock at Eco mode (lowest gain/power; there's the Normal, then Turbo modes).

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,707 of 9,047
Why would you need the Alo Rx Mk3? By iDSD you mean the nano or micro? You may need it with the nano, if your Audeze is the LCD-3, but if its the iFi micro iDSD for LCD-2, its much more than enough for the Audeze. Couldn't even get it past 2 o'clock at Eco mode (lowest gain/power; there's the Normal, then Turbo modes).

He means micro iDSD. He' s getting the RX in case the iDSD is not warm enough for his tastes as the RX would be warmer than the iDSD's amp section.

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #1,708 of 9,047
He means micro iDSD. He' s getting the RX in case the iDSD is not warm enough for his tastes as the RX would be warmer than the iDSD's amp section.
IMHO, there's no need. All you have to do is use the Minimum Phase digital filter, and it'll be warm already. XBass turned on for extra warmth/bit darker. Remember he's using LCD-2, which is already in the warmish side.

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #1,709 of 9,047
IMHO, there's no need. All you have to do is use the Minimum Phase digital filter, and it'll be warm already. XBass turned on for extra warmth/bit darker. Remember he's using LCD-2, which is already in the warmish side.

thanks guys, i like to experiment with gear, and i am not using my rig as being portable, but mainly for transportable use, moving my rig around the house, and i go the alo rx m3 for a good price, so i have it just in case if i need it and experiment once my 2 gears arrive i will report back about my findings. 

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #1,710 of 9,047
A couple questions -

1) I know this works with Android via UAPP - but does it work natively (Ie for Spotify)?  My phone is HTC One M8 if that matters...:)
2) any thoughts on if this is better than CEntrance HiFi-m8?  I plan to be powering Alpha Dogs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back