iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Nov 25, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #1,666 of 9,047
The DIRECT/PRE_AMP switch is on the underside of the iDSD. Make sure it is on the DIRECT setting.

However, if you plug in headphones and there is no sound on one channel then it sounds like your unit is faulty. You should send it back to your dealer for a replacement.
Is that better than micro iDSD pre-amp mode>>integrated amp power/mains section?

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #1,667 of 9,047
IMO, to hear the sound quality iFi intended or designed it to be, you have to use pre-amp mode on the micro iDSD and plug it into the Mains or power-amp section of the integrated amp. This is exactly like when you're using the HP out or power-amp section of the micro iDSD itself, but this time you're using speakers instead of HP.

Otherwise, i.e., you use direct mode on iDSD and plug it into the line-in/pre-amp section, the integrated amp will introduce substantial tweaks into the sound because that's what the pre-amp section of an integrated amp does. So, in here, you're double pre-amping. I don't think iFi put the pre-amp section in the micro iDSD so we can connect it to another pre-amp. I think it was intended to be connected to headphone amps, which are essentially power amps for headphones.

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #1,669 of 9,047
Imagine, you got a really bad CD player (which is a DAC by the way), you use a good integrated amp that "rectifies" the bad sound coming from the CD player/DAC, you'll hear good sound from the speakers. In another situation, you got a really good DAC, you use the same good integrated amp that "rectifies" the already good sound coming from the good DAC, and the result COULD be really bad. This is because most integrated amps introduce tweaks on just parts of the sound, not the whole. This is the exact reason why not all amps always turn out good on each, all, and every upstream gear. That's why you have to match the gears.

In the case of micro iDSD, the DAC and power amp section (i.e., HP out jack section) are designed to match each other. That's why it sounds good when you use them as such, and the results are different when you don't.

Sorry to press on this, but I sincerely believe this is important to realize.

Cheers.

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #1,670 of 9,047
My integrated is a Sony STR DA50ES where is power section? The DVD player, sound fine without problem, on same line-in CD same cable RCA

That's an AV Receiver? Usually they have no Mains/Power amp section like an integrated amp since AV Receivers are designed mainly for movies, with audio as an afterthought. Makes sense your Sony CD player sounds good because they're MATCHED being from same manufacturer.

At the back of the unit beside the Pre-Out section (pre-amp section), there are inputs under the label 5.1 Input. Just guessing, but that may be the Power-Amp section. Check the manual. If not, do as usual (connect to CD in), then choose Direct Mode on the Receiver as this will bypass the digital signal processing in the Receiver.

Hope this helps.

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #1,671 of 9,047
How? I did try to switch in preamp mode? I connect the RCA in line-in CD on the integrated-amp, Direct mode on iDSD

Hello Massimo

There is something wrong or not right. From your description, you do not seem to have an actual iDSD in your system. It really does not operate (never mind sound) like what you suggests report if everything is on the level.

You are a new member and started with posts virtually all to do how sucky the iDSD is - fair enough but have you asked iFi or spoke to the shop from where you purchased? iFi's customer service is easily above average so you shouldn't have to wait long for a reply. And if the shop is not assisting you, then you should name them. All the posts from the others here to assist you are also met with little/no change or can't try this and can't try that and constantly repeating how much the iDSD sucks next to a cheap Sony.

No matter if you don't care to get the iDSD micro working properly or for whatever reason you cannot, you are best returning your iDSD micro for a refund given your obvious and constant problems to get it to work properly.

L3000.gif

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #1,672 of 9,047
  Hello Massimo

There is something wrong or not right. From your description, you do not seem to have an actual iDSD in your system. It really does not operate (never mind sound) like what you suggests report if everything is on the level.

You are a new member and started with posts virtually all to do how sucky the iDSD is - fair enough but have you asked iFi or spoke to the shop from where you purchased? iFi's customer service is easily above average so you shouldn't have to wait long for a reply. And if the shop is not assisting you, then you should name them. All the posts from the others here to assist you are also met with little/no change or can't try this and can't try that and constantly repeating how much the iDSD sucks next to a cheap Sony.

No matter if you don't care to get the iDSD micro working properly or for whatever reason you cannot, you are best returning your iDSD micro for a refund given your obvious and constant problems to get it to work properly.

L3000.gif

Thanks to all for the help and advice,
however, I never questioned support and professionalism of iFi,
and how their practices, I have readily assisted,
indeed tomorrow I send the Micro iDSD for replacement

A special thanks to my dealer ProAudio Italia (official distributor's iFi in Italy),

Thanks to IFI, for support through customer service and also for the support directly here on these pages of the forum.

Thanks to all users of these thread, that with their answers, they have tried to help me in all modes

So now I look forward that the new  iDSD arrivals,
why always convinced of the quality of iFi products, and especially  a device such as the Micro iDSD

I hope to return here as soon as possible,
to comment with you, the goodness of the sound, reproduced by this DAC

Thanks to All
smile.gif

Sorry for my bad English

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #1,673 of 9,047
[COLOR=3E454C]Hello Massimo[/COLOR][COLOR=3E454C]
[/COLOR][COLOR=3E454C]
[/COLOR][COLOR=3E454C]There is something wrong or not right. From your description, you do not seem to have an actual iDSD in your system. It really does not operate (never mind sound) like what you suggests report if everything is on the level.[/COLOR][COLOR=3E454C]
[/COLOR][COLOR=3E454C]
[/COLOR][COLOR=3E454C]You are a new member and started with posts virtually all to do how sucky the iDSD is - fair enough but have you asked iFi or spoke to the shop from where you purchased? iFi's customer service is easily above average so you shouldn't have to wait long for a reply. And if the shop is not assisting you, then you should name them. All the posts from the others here to assist you are also met with little/no change or can't try this and can't try that and constantly repeating how much the iDSD sucks next to a cheap Sony.[/COLOR][COLOR=3E454C]
[/COLOR][COLOR=3E454C]
[/COLOR][COLOR=3E454C]No matter if you don't care to get the iDSD micro working properly or for whatever reason you cannot, you are best returning your iDSD micro for a refund given your obvious and constant problems to get it to work properly.[/COLOR]

:L3000:
He's using an AV Receiver--Digital Signal Processing (DSP), the exact process iFi avoids.

Nov 26, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #1,674 of 9,047
He's using an AV Receiver--Digital Signal Processing (DSP), the exact process iFi avoids.

As I wrote previously,
I did the tests on four different amplifiers:
AM Audio (with Pre Lector ZOE), Graaf (with Pre Lector ZOE), Onkyo (integrated) and the my Sony,
and in all tests the sound came from iDSD, compared to that of my poor and old DVD player,
was that of a "good mp3 files", compared to the "excellent LPCM 44.100khz" reproduced from the DVD player,
in a nutshell
a digital sound flat and backlog vs a deep sound, round and present

unfortunately my language is not English,
and to me remains difficult use the correct terms, to explain what I heard

all tests, always carried out with this CD of Chesky Records, I use for over twenty years,
http://www.amazon.com/Vivaldi-The-Four-Seasons-Antonio/dp/B000003GDQ
tried in time, on any type of audio equipment,from millionaires (with EMMLabs, Audio Research, Conrad Jhonson, AM Audio, ecc..) to economic, 

and so I know to perfection every little nuance of this CD,
every detail of each instrument, and the location of each instrument

Definitely with the replacement of the new iDSD things will change

Sorry for my bad English

Nov 26, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #1,676 of 9,047
Deleted

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #1,677 of 9,047
Apologies if this has been covered, but I have searched and haven't been able to find it yet...

Can anyone tell me whether the battery in the iDSD would be damaged if the iDSD is left plugged in most of the time?  Or does a smart charge control circuit prevent fatigue or damage of the battery, and enable long term use while plugged in without fatiguing the battery?  Thanks.

Nov 26, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #1,678 of 9,047
Apologies if this has been covered, but I have searched and haven't been able to find it yet...

Can anyone tell me whether the battery in the iDSD would be damaged if the iDSD is left plugged in most of the time?  Or does a smart charge control circuit prevent fatigue or damage of the battery, and enable long term use while plugged in without fatiguing the battery?  Thanks.
Automatically shuts down. The blue light shuts off. Same with the nano iDSD.

Nov 27, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #1,680 of 9,047
I have a Sony ZX1, and am looking for something to juicy it up (basically, for my TG334, HD600 and HE400i). I was interested in Pha2/3. But after reading some reviews and comparisons, iDSD micro seems to be a much better choice, especially considering the cans I have and the potential it can be used as a desktop rig. The compatibility then becomes my major concern. 

As my current understanding, we have two potential ways to connect zx1 to iDSD Micro (please correct me if I am wrong):
1, using a cable like Fiio L5 (wm port to 3.5mm) to connect two devices, in such case, we shall expect the iDSD only works as an amp. Considering that ZX1 do has a decent dac, and the amp part of iDSD is also wonderful, we shall expect something good out it.

2, using a WMC-NWH10 cable and a USB 2.0 cable to connect two devices, then the ZX1 shall only work as a storage device and the iDSD takes the whole floor here.

However, all of the above are just my speculations based on what I have read so far. It would be greatly appreciated  if anyone can share some the real experiences with these two devices (I did search for zx1 on this thread, no luck). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back