iFi Audio IPurifier3.0
Jul 20, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #272 of 442
Thanks for confirming.
Will the (powered-off) BL get charged if it remains connected to the laptop via the iP3? I really don't want to keep on connecting and disconnecting cables all the time.
Yes.

Aug 9, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #273 of 442

Hello iFi,

I was asking myself if the ipurifier3 is more optimized to be connected to a usb3 or usb2 port. (I have both in my laptop).

It is known that usb 3.0 and 2.0 have different typical "noise profiles", so I was wondering if the ipurifier is more effective at killing one or the other.

The ipurifier itself is kind of an hybrid device with a usb 3.0 input but has a usb 2.0 hub chip inside thus I verified it extabilishes a 2.0 full speed connection regardless of what port I connect it to (and regardless if the cable is 2.0 or 3.0).

Aug 9, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #275 of 442
The ipurifier itself is kind of an hybrid device with a usb 3.0 input but has a usb 2.0 hub chip inside thus I verified it extabilishes a 2.0 full speed connection regardless of what port I connect it to (and regardless if the cable is 2.0 or 3.0).

In short, the product is universal, but the noiser your USB out is, the more significant improvement you might hear.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 10, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #277 of 442
By the way, while experimenting with my ifi stuff I found highly beneficial to use the ipower right after the ipurifier. So the chain is like this:

Computer ---> ipurifier3 ---> B to A short cable/adapter ---> idefender + ipower 5v ---> Usb powered dac (nano BL)

Aug 10, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #278 of 442
By the way, while experimenting with my ifi stuff I found highly beneficial to use the ipower right after the ipurifier. So the chain is like this:

Computer ---> ipurifier3 ---> B to A short cable/adapter ---> idefender + ipower 5v ---> Usb powered dac (nano BL)

Makes perfect sense! :metal::sunglasses:

Aug 10, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #279 of 442
Makes perfect sense! :metal::sunglasses:

Thanks,

I had originally tried the idefender+ipower at the computer's port then into the ipurifier then into the dac.
Obviously it sounded good, the rationale was to provide the ip3 with clean power to make its high precision clock work at its best.

However I could not really perceive any worthwile improvement over using the ip3 alone with usb power.

The ipower though, when used straight into a dac or amp, I always found it gives you an "airy" and extended "soft" treble that is both detailed and non fatiguing, which no other USB filter was able to replicate to the same extent.

So bottom line, I personally found the chain mentioned in my previous post as the "best of both worlds". I don't think I need to state what benefits the ip3 brings, because it has been stated already countless times

Aug 10, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #280 of 442
Thanks,

I don't think I need to state what benefits the ip3 brings, because it has been stated already countless times

Mine will never leave my chain! Well, until the iP4 gets released. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit: Been highly interested in the AC iPurifier. @iFi audio You should hook me up. Nearly done with my Sundara review and itching to get on another.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #281 of 442
Mine will never leave my chain! Well, until the iP4 gets released. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

you know what would be really convenient?

As a design idea, I think iFi dacs should have a few millimeters of additional space around their male usb port. That way it would be possible to connect an iDefender straight into the dacs port and inject the ipower without the need for additional cables or adapters.

I tried but the idefender wont enter just by a few mm.

Aug 10, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #282 of 442
The iSilencer 3.0+ iDefender 3.0 is available in my country for about $100.
Will using this combo along with the Micro BL & iPurifier3 improve SQ in any significant way? If it does - for best results - what would chain look like then? ( I will be using my laptop USB port.)

Aug 10, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #283 of 442
The iSilencer 3.0+ iDefender 3.0 is available in my country for about $100.
Will using this combo along with the Micro BL & iPurifier3 improve SQ in any significant way? If it does - for best results - what would chain look like then? ( I will be using my laptop USB port.)

If you have the ipurifier3, not only there is no need for an iSilencer but in my experiments it could even hurt sound quality.
iSilencer is iFi's entry level implementation of the ANC tech, and in my opinion it does change the sound a bit which depending on the situation it can be positive or not.

The more advanced implementation of the ANC circuit ( ipower, DC ipurifier2, etc ) are much better in my opinion, and clean up noise while leaving the sound quality intact and improved.

So bottom line, no need to add isilencer to ipurifier, at best it is redundant at worst could be negative. For example I noticed it kind of flattened the perception of soundstage, if that makes sense.
IMHO this could be because the isilencer has a basic REbalance in it, then the ipurifier has REbalance too, then iFi's dacs have another REbalance tech at their input. Maybe all this rebalancing one after the other could somehow be overkill and end up affecting the timing of the signal a little bit.

The iDefender without ipower could be useful to you if you use your micro BL in battery mode, maybe it could help isolating the ground plane a bit but as far as I know the micro already has isolated ground on the usb input so I'd say it is reduntant too.

But that is the thing with iFi's dacs, they are made to be used standalone, without too many additional tweaks. Not to say that the other gadgets don't work on them, but they work much less than on dacs made by other companies.

So, my advice to you is :
The micro BL is engineered to be immune to most of usb audio problems. To take it to the next level, an ipurifier helps for sure. Next step, you could add ipower AFTER the ipurifier right before the dac.
Next step yet, I think only the iGalvanic could make a worthwhile improvement, and at that point would make the ipower + idefender reduntant too.

"budget" tweak = PC ---> ip3 ---> micro BL
"simplicity endgame" chain = PC ---> iGalvanic ---> micro BL
"ultimate endgame" = PC ---> iGalvanic ---> ip3 -> micro BL (given that iusb3.0 is no longer available)

hope it helps,
regards

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #285 of 442
I have the iFi Audio: Micro iDSD BL, iPurifer3, iSilencer, iDefender, iPower (5V), AND iGalvanic 3.0.

The iGalvanic3.0 makes the most difference and the effect is similar to the iPurifier3 in that it is giving a spaciousness, soundstaging, clarity, and cleaniness to the music. The Purifier3 installed right before the BL's dac adds more of the same magic. Together, iGalvanic & iPurifer3 nullify the need for the iPower, and iDender all together according to my experiements. The iPower and iDefender did nothing after I got the iGalvanic3.0 so I took them out of my chain. So my suggestion would be to save yourself the $100 bucks and apply it directly to getting yourself the iGalvanic3.0 instead or at least--first.

Now, the iSilencer has been significant in my chain because I use generic, blue, USB 3.0 cables, and so I've installed iSilencer FIRST in the chain out of the my laptop (before the power and data packets start their journey to the iGalvanic3.0). It gives a smooth natural-ness to the music--especially to my Dragonfly Cobalt where the iSilencer is in between the iPurifer3 and Cobalt.

P.S. (I just read Alboxing's remarks above, after posting this. I guess we said the same thing--sorry about that.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back