iFi Audio IPurifier3.0
May 25, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #256 of 442
After a new wave of tinkering combinations with the idefender and isilencer as part of the Corning chain and smartphone as source playing MQA, this is the new placement:

1st: cp (cellphone) -> otg -> idefender + 900usd worth of power upgrades -> Corning -> USPCB -> DAC

2nd place:cp (cellphone) -> otg -> Corning -> USPCB -> DAC

iSilencer and coupler combos ultimately gave a sonic signature. It took this crazy amount of power upgrades to understand the power of the Corning. Each Schaffner power cable gives at least 70db of noise filtering. I'm using 5 of those plus 8x lt3045 where each lt3045 is 70db of power filtering (.8 microvolt ripple noise) and 2 AC iPurifiers (maybe 60-70db filtering). So that's a lot of filtering to beat the power noise of the CP that the Corning is filtering.

The crucial point here is I, and most Corning reviewers, failed to understand the sonic faithfulness of the Corning. For the other reviewers, they think it's darker and that's a sonic signature. But it's totally not. My CAT 8 cabling sans Schaffner power cables gave a more energetic yet smooth sound but I didn't recognize that it was rolling off the highs too much. That combination made me think it was a cleaner sound and since it's SQ was too far from the simple Corning, my brain failed to understand which is better. On a monetary and technical standpoint, the CAT 8 chain should be better. The dual front and rear idefender seemed better but it was just compensating and massaging around the noise rather than actually reducing it. So it's only after having 5 Schaffner power cables that it only brought me back to the same sonic qualities as the solo Corning!! All is not lost though. What I've gained is still a solid improvement where everything is fuller, there's no sonic signature from the components, micro-detail and nuance are rendered flawlessly, the micro-depth and separation is felt and it's all completely natural to the ear and climatic. It's still PROBABLY worth that cost coz it sounds better than a HUGO 2 TT + m scaler.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #257 of 442
After a new wave of tinkering combinations with the idefender and isilencer as part of the Corning chain and smartphone as source playing MQA, this is the new placement:

1st: cp (cellphone) -> otg -> idefender + 900usd worth of power upgrades -> Corning -> USPCB -> DAC

iSilencer and coupler combos ultimately gave a sonic signature. It took this crazy amount of power upgrades to understand the power of the Corning. Each Schaffner power cable gives at least 70db of noise filtering. I'm using 5 of those plus 8x lt3045 where each lt3045 is 70db of power filtering (.8 microvolt ripple noise) and 2 AC iPurifiers (maybe 60-70db filtering). So that's a lot of filtering to beat the power noise of the CP that the Corning is filtering.

The crucial point here is I, and most Corning reviewers, failed to understand the sonic faithfulness of the Corning. For the other reviewers, they think it's darker and that's a sonic signature. But it's totally not. My CAT 8 cabling sans Schaffner power cables gave a more energetic yet smooth sound but I didn't recognize that it was rolling off the highs too much. That combination made me think it was a cleaner sound and since it's SQ was too far from the simple Corning, my brain failed to understand which is better. On a monetary and technical standpoint, the CAT 8 chain should be better. The dual front and rear idefender seemed better but it was just compensating and massaging around the noise rather than actually reducing it. So it's only after having 5 Schaffner power cables that it only brought me back to the same sonic qualities as the solo Corning!! All is not lost though. What I've gained is still a solid improvement where everything is fuller, there's no sonic signature from the components, micro-detail and nuance are rendered flawlessly, the micro-depth and separation is felt and it's all completely natural to the ear and climatic. It's still PROBABLY worth that cost coz it sounds better than a HUGO 2 TT + m scaler.
Hey thanks again for your review. To clarify, the $900 worth of power upgrades include the Schaffner Power cable + It3045 + AC ipurifier?
(Sorry my ignorance, what is IT3045 ??)

My question is, would the Schaffner make a difference of one already has a AC power conditioner + LPS used ?
For e.g my chains are :

AC power conditioner ---> DAC (with its own R Core LPS)
AC power conditioner ----> HDPLEX LPS ----> HDPLEX PC

Where would I use the Schaffner then, if I choose to use it ?
I suppose using it to supply the AC power conditioner (I get to use my own power cable with it) would help everything downstream.
I am not sure if there would be much effect after the AC power conditioner.

May 25, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #258 of 442
Simply replace all your power cables with the Schaffner. It still works well and linearly. The only way I can imagine to quickly know if you've created enough isolation is to buy an AC iPurifier and plug it in and out to see if it makes a difference.

Check out ldovr dot com and their dual rail power supply. The lt3045 is an amazing power regulator and probably the best in the market that still cleans up an LPS 1.2 that's being energized by a HDPLEX that's using a Schaffner power cord. The measurement to look for in all of this is ripple noise and it's measurement in microvolts or db. Almost all LPS except the hdplex and lps 1.2 doesn't mention their ripple noise so you only have marketing jargon to go by.

900usd of power = LPS 1.2 + HDplex 200w + dxpwr + 4 Schaffner cables + 2 ac iPurifiers. (Actually it's like 1450usd in my case)

May 25, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #259 of 442
Trust me on that link. When I got the product, my face turned white coz it was literally like the photo where the leads are exposed!! Haha. I thought it was a sample cross-section like how audio cables do it. But it was a fortunate mistake where I got the Viborg plug and terminated it with a HQ part. It was only after and scanning the specs sheets that the unterminated one gives the best performance.

Yea I think it's a closed dual ferrite design and that's all I know. :frowning2: I was so lucky bumping into this product when I was just scrolling for parts for ideas. Super lucky coz it's a 15usd cable that I can stack up and the performance is non-diminishing. So imagine 3 of these cables to the HDPLEX and two AC iPurifiers. Way too much cleaning needed to get clean power when advertisers claim only one of their product is the solution and gives measurements for such. Well the isilencers and the AC ipurifiers are the only ones I know where they claim the more units you buy, the better it gets and it's true.

I agree with non-audiophile solutions being the best value and performance. I think I was looking for hospital grade power cables and I came across this cable by luck.
Just to clarify again, the link you sent for the Schaffner, is that the right one? It shows one end is terminated but the other is bare wire ? DId you get that or one that has no termination on either side ? It also costs $48USD noy $15. BTW, where did you get the "Viborgs Rhodium plated pure copper plugs." ?

Yes, the hospital grade equipments supposedly get the best results. E.g. hospital grade receptacle from the wall should be used. The Intona is also originally a non-Hi-Fi device.
Most companies sell devices to clean up the dirt but won't emphasize on how to get rid of the source of the dirt, so one can buy more and more devices......

May 25, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #260 of 442
Yea, only one side is terminated while the one to plug to the wall is bare wire. Oh you're right, it is 48usd. My mistake. I got my Viborgs at a local shop in Manila.

Yea even the Corning is non-hifi as well, which I realize is what you meant and I forgot it's a non-hifi cable. It's meant to plug to a printer on the other side of the room or whatever. Haha.

May 26, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #261 of 442
Just to clarify again, the link you sent for the Schaffner, is that the right one? It shows one end is terminated but the other is bare wire ? DId you get that or one that has no termination on either side ? It also costs $48USD noy $15. BTW, where did you get the "Viborgs Rhodium plated pure copper plugs." ?

Yes, the hospital grade equipments supposedly get the best results. E.g. hospital grade receptacle from the wall should be used. The Intona is also originally a non-Hi-Fi device.
Most companies sell devices to clean up the dirt but won't emphasize on how to get rid of the source of the dirt, so one can buy more and more devices......

For safety, maybe you should get the 110v version. Not sure if the 220v is still okay for you to use. The cable has 250v capacitors in it.

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #262 of 442

BTW, do you feel the corning USB has made the sound too "clinical", meaning is it kind of cold, lack warmth, too fast etc ? I have used a regular optical cable for CD player which has a little bit of that quality.

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #263 of 442
Nope. What you describe isn't a cable issue but a timing and power issue. On the Matrix X-spdif 2 and U8 with sysconcept cables, it's a full on sound. Optical starts to lag behind my USB input coz of resolution/ micro-detail, depth, extra blacks and timing that just makes sense to the ear.

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #265 of 442
Hi, this question might be off-topic, but the issue I am facing with my brand new iPurifier3 is that when I connect it to my Micro iDSD BL, should not BOTH LEDs in the iP3 light up? One (blue) for power supply and one (green) for sound signal. Blue is working fine, but green led is not. It did briefly light up once initially and then, nada, kaput, zilch. Is this normal: do I have a lemon unit/ or only one led malfunctioning issue ? Sound-wise, I think that there is some discernible difference but it might be confirmation bias. I will update later. As of now, can someone from iFi (hopefully) tell me what to do with the LED issue?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #266 of 442
Hi, this question might be off-topic, but the issue I am facing with my brand new iPurifier3 is that when I connect it to my Micro iDSD BL, should not BOTH LEDs in the iP3 light up? One (blue) for power supply and one (green) for sound signal. Blue is working fine, but green led is not. It did briefly light up once initially and then, nada, kaput, zilch. Is this normal: do I have a lemon unit/ or only one led malfunctioning issue ? Sound-wise, I think that there is some discernible difference but it might be confirmation bias. I will update later. As of now, can someone from iFi (hopefully) tell me what to do with the LED issue?
Both LEDs should light up if the computer is talking to the DAC. Sounds like it is working though so must be a duff LED.

Jul 18, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #267 of 442
Both LEDs should light up if the computer is talking to the DAC. Sounds like it is working though so must be a duff LED.

Might be the case.

Just to make it clear, the product works but green LED is off, right?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 18, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #268 of 442
SQ has improved on the iP3+Micro BL setup. Note that I have used the product for only a couple of days with almost 0 burn-in. So, obviously it's working. But the green LED remains off : (
Also, if I happen to use turbo or even normal mode on the Micro BL (connected with iP3), battery drain in significant. However, if I use Eco mode, the BL unit gets charged from the laptop. A little strange, really. Can you confirm if this is how it is supposed to work?

Jul 19, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #269 of 442
Can you confirm if this is how it is supposed to work?
Yes.

A USB port provides 5 Volts and 500 mA for a total of 2.5 Watts. That's enough for Eco mode but not enough on its own for the other modes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back