iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Jul 1, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #2,221 of 2,990
Without knowing how they are wired there is no way to tell if they are appropriate.

The 4.4mm to 4.4mm needs to have the sleeves connected so the two units ground. Since the 4.4mm to 4.4mm has metal parts to the barrel you could connect it up, listen to it, then join a wire from the outer metal part of each barrel and see if the bass improves, I imagine it will, what you described is what I experienced also.

The 4.4mm to 3.5mm may also be connected in a manner that doesn't ground the units, again, no way to tell looking at it. You could try the above method there also. The difference with that one is you can't tell what they have done with the 5 into 3 plug set up. If the negatives are unconnected all is good, if they are connected in some way that is bad news as it will potentially short something. A continuity test across the plugs would tell you that, simply see if an electrical circuit can be established where it should be and not where it shouldn't be.

I've ordered an iFi 4.4mm to 4.4mm cable that I am told is grounded, I'll report back when I get it.
Did the gucraftsman and ifi 4.4 cables work by themselves? I'm just trying to connect 1 cable

Jul 2, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #2,223 of 2,990
I just received a couple of DD Hifi accessories a week ago I ordered from Aliexpress but I missed this XLR to Pentaconn cable they also have.

Interestingly they also just updated their 4.4 to XLR adapter a month after I ordered mine.

Jul 2, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #2,224 of 2,990
Diablo line in experimentation.

M11 Plus into Diablo just takes edge of the harsh steely sibilance in Massive Attack “Be thankful fot what you’ve got” test track which can sound a bit harsh on Diablo as DAC/Amp with Aeon Noire.

Gryphon providing the DAC duties allows menu switching of GTO and other filters and XBass and XSpace which of course the Diablo doesn’t have and offers a ton more power than the Gryphon alone which lacks headroom with the Noire.

PLEASE NOTE - VERY IMPORTANT: Be sure that you understand the wiring set up of anything that allows a single ended input into the balanced Diablo port ! The 4.4mm to 2 x RCA cable pictured is fine since the negatives are floating, the negatives MUST NOT GROUND !

if using a headphone cable adapter to go from a 4.4mm cable like the one pictured to a 3.5mm for used with say a Mojo as the DAC the negatives will be connected to ground and will short risking frying something.

D03B83FB-D159-4668-9D84-DC7C6571F006.jpeg
0AD679EE-E522-4FF6-A704-C864944BAF13.jpeg
2BBE79EB-E2CF-4FD0-8068-D136487B7124.jpeg
AC81F298-F79E-4FE9-8EF9-7BDE8EDD15EA.jpeg
0703206C-6E2E-42B7-ACDE-AD09E63DEEEA.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #2,225 of 2,990
Diablo line in experimentation.

M11 Plus into Diablo just takes edge of the harsh steely sibilance in Massive Attack “Be thankful fot what you’ve got” test track which can sound a bit harsh on Diablo as DAC/Amp with Aeon Noire.

Gryphon providing the DAC duties allows menu switching of GTO and other filters and XBass and XSpace which of course the Diablo doesn’t have and offers a ton more power than the Gryphon alone which lacks headroom with the Noire.

Is there a wire to connect from 3.5 headphone jack.

Also, where did you get ifi cable from?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #2,226 of 2,990
Is there a wire to connect from 3.5 headphone jack.

Also, where did you get ifi cable from?

I am in NZ so just got the wire locally.

The Diablo rear 4.4mm will accept a single ended input as shown with the RCA to 4.4mm so you you could go 3.5mm line out to 4.4mm line in, that would be just a different version of the same wiring principle of my RCA cable, but you would likely need a custom cable …. as I added in an edit above …. you CAN NOT use the 4.4mm to 4.4mm cable with a 4.4mm female to 3.5mm male headphone cable adapter, the negatives will short to ground and you’ll risk frying the source with the 3.5mm.

The Pentaconn since it has a ground and four terminals available can be use single ended but the negatives must not be used, you do need to understand the principle and just because you can create the connection with an adapter doesn’t mean it is safe.

A 4.4mm male to 3.5mm female adapter is a balanced to single ended adapter and is fine in principle, I’m going to test two next week.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #2,228 of 2,990
Quick update on overcoming the built in 🔋 power supply limitations under high current demand from low sensitivity and low impedance headphones.

Using DCA Aeon and a 25 Watt Samsung fast charger or a Belkin 20,000mAh power pack supplying power both will allow full volume on Turbo mode even with bass heavy songs.

No I didn’t listen at that level, I just did it out of technical interest for about 5 seconds to understand that the power limitation could be completely overcome with the right power supply.

On battery only the Diablo completely shuts down long before that current demand with the Aeon.

I ran the Diablo with the 25 Watt charger for about an hour on pretty high volume with the Aeon and it and the charger remained cool to the touch, heat doesn’t seem to be a problem.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #2,230 of 2,990
I have 2 of the 4.4mm to XLRmale) cables that come with the Diablo, replaced the male with some female XLR connectors, now using with my Teac UD-501. What a nice bonus feature to have!
I'll probably make another cable, to use with my iPod Classic's line-out.

Jul 5, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #2,231 of 2,990
I have 2 of the 4.4mm to XLRmale) cables that come with the Diablo, replaced the male with some female XLR connectors, now using with my Teac UD-501. What a nice bonus feature to have!
I'll probably make another cable, to use with my iPod Classic's line-out.

Excellent to hear others are getting some mileage out of the feature 👍🏻

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #2,234 of 2,990
Quick update on overcoming the built in 🔋 power supply limitations under high current demand from low sensitivity and low impedance headphones.

Using DCA Aeon and a 25 Watt Samsung fast charger or a Belkin 20,000mAh power pack supplying power both will allow full volume on Turbo mode even with bass heavy songs.

No I didn’t listen at that level, I just did it out of technical interest for about 5 seconds to understand that the power limitation could be completely overcome with the right power supply.

On battery only the Diablo completely shuts down long before that current demand with the Aeon.

I ran the Diablo with the 25 Watt charger for about an hour on pretty high volume with the Aeon and it and the charger remained cool to the touch, heat doesn’t seem to be a problem.

YMMV.
I wonder will this 4.4 to 3.5 Connector work?

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #2,235 of 2,990
I wonder will this 4.4 to 3.5 Connector work?
if you leave R- and L- of the 4.4mm floating, and connect the negative of the 3.5mm to ground, then it should

Users who are viewing this thread

Back