If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 12, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #2,896 of 19,248
Usually we use pharmacy grade hydrogen peroxide solution instead of isopropyl alcohol.

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #2,897 of 19,248
  Usually we use pharmacy grade hydrogen peroxide solution instead of isopropyl alcohol.

And this. I believe is around a 3.5-5.0% solution that in most countries can be purchased off counter from drugstores etc. for a relative small price.

A much higher grade, like around 90% grade will be pure rocket fuel :) But who knows what improvement it will bring to the ETY's filter, maybe fly you to the moon..

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #2,898 of 19,248
hey guys, I posted a link earlier to the Ety P - S adapter on ebay. I  ordered one, and I received it today. Definitely looks like it is in fact authentic Etymotic Adapter...

Here it is next to my Er4p's cable:

Great deal for $16 USD, plus quick shipping for those of us in the U.S.

Oct 13, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #2,900 of 19,248
  hey guys, I posted a link earlier to the Ety P - S adapter on ebay. I  ordered one, and I received it today. Definitely looks like it is in fact authentic Etymotic Adapter...

Great deal for $16 USD, plus quick shipping for those of us in the U.S.

That's a much better idea than the extension jacks, I never trusted those as they cause more leverage and stress on the headphone out.

I've been happily listening to ER4S with my new IHIFI-760 and continually drawn to it even though I recently purchased an RDB+ v1 Mini for around $400. What I'm getting at here is even though I think my v1 Mini does outclass ER4S in some areas, my Etymotics are no way completely knocked from their throne.

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #2,901 of 19,248
I've read a post on head-fi ( i wish I knew who it was so I can thank them ) which has changed my attitude about making endless purchasing in order to find nirvana. Simply put he (or she) said there is no better sound it is simply a different sound and for some that could be the better sound or the best sound.

ER4S is that different sound that those who have heard it will always come back to it and many will just simply stick to it as the different more pricier  sound are just not all that. 

For example to me as much as the 1+2 sounded open with good bass I simply cannot imagine anyone outside this hobby will ever find a way to justify such purchases, those of us who do it on here are only doing to make the burden of such huge purchases a little lighter. 

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #2,903 of 19,248

That's a much better idea than the extension jacks, I never trusted those as they cause more leverage and stress on the headphone out.

I've been happily listening to ER4S with my new IHIFI-760 and continually drawn to it even though I recently purchased an RDB+ v1 Mini for around $400. What I'm getting at here is even though I think my v1 Mini does outclass ER4S in some areas, my Etymotics are no way completely knocked from their throne.

How is that player? Does it have a decent DAC? Is it an amp. The Amazon description didn't say anything about it. 

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #2,904 of 19,248
  I was wondering if a long term Ety owner can tell me anything about the different filters and how they have changed over the years.

I am an experimenter by nature, so I bypassed the rather expensive filters long ago with my ER4P.  I cut small pieces off of an old sheer stocking of my wife's to use for filters.  I use the 3-flange gray Ety tips, and set a small cut piece of hose into the inside "bowl" of the 3-flange tip, push the ER4P nozzle into the tip with the piece of hose in the way.  I check it about once a week to see if there is enough wax on it to change them, and usually not, but just throw them away and cut 2 more when I need to.  Most of the wax gets stuck in the tip opening, and I wash / rinse every 2-3 day.

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #2,905 of 19,248

How is that player? Does it have a decent DAC? Is it an amp. The Amazon description didn't say anything about it. 

Decent player using the same WM8740 DAC as IBasso DX50. Has a hint of warmth and rather melodic sound signature. Without looking like I'm promoting eBay has a better description. I have no problems keeping IHIFI-760 next to players like my Studio V, DX50 and I think the line out is rather special. 

Quote:
  I've read a post on head-fi ( i wish I knew who it was so I can thank them ) which has changed my attitude about making endless purchasing in order to find nirvana. Simply put he (or she) said there is no better sound it is simply a different sound and for some that could be the better sound or the best sound.

ER4S is that different sound that those who have heard it will always come back to it and many will just simply stick to it as the different more pricier  sound are just not all that. 

For example to me as much as the 1+2 sounded open with good bass I simply cannot imagine anyone outside this hobby will ever find a way to justify such purchases, those of us who do it on here are only doing to make the burden of such huge purchases a little lighter. 

Well I think there is better sound out there but you can get to a limit where an earphone has enough technical ability to satisfy you then search for different signatures. The problem I see with the hobby is often one IEM will always have advantages and disadvantages, this could relate to 'different sound' you speak about, but the concern for me is there's always trade offs. One IEM has most of what you want while another has the missing piece, therefore our jig saw puzzle is never completed in one product. Even 1Plus2 which I think is a fantastic sounding universal isn't perfect and that's where ER4S comes in because it's hard to fault. Vsonic GR07 is similar, they might not offer the extreme limits although don't have specific flaws that cripple them. 

I also think addiction to audio is partly due to the adventure and "what ifs" when trying other gear.

Quote:

I am an experimenter by nature, so I bypassed the rather expensive filters long ago with my ER4P.  I cut small pieces off of an old sheer stocking of my wife's to use for filters.  I use the 3-flange gray Ety tips, and set a small cut piece of hose into the inside "bowl" of the 3-flange tip, push the ER4P nozzle into the tip with the piece of hose in the way.  I check it about once a week to see if there is enough wax on it to change them, and usually not, but just throw them away and cut 2 more when I need to.  Most of the wax gets stuck in the tip opening, and I wash / rinse every 2-3 day.

Thanks for sharing, I will keep this in mind. :)

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #2,906 of 19,248

Nice!  I'm having a hell of a time trying to get an adapter.  I'm trying not to have to pay the full $50+ shipping or whatever Etymotic charges.  Grrrr.... Twice now I thought I had good avenues lined up, but they've fallen through.  When I first bought my ER-4P ten years ago, it didn't come with an adapter, and also twice now that I've sent it in for repair and had it replaced, Etymotic hasn't sent the new one with an adapter.

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #2,907 of 19,248
Again, I believe gnarlsagan, but I asked for the newest er4s and got the red/blue version. Even after asking about the other version. Maybe Don Wilson can clear this up if he sees this?

I don't think they sound different, so I almost prefer my version because it at least looks tougher. Not sure though..

UPDATE:

O.k. Listen up, here's the deal!
wink.gif
hehe

I just called Etymotic to get the facts on these different ER4S versions. They asked not to post their name, but said to please call them (Etymotic 1-888-389-6684) if you have any questions about what I'm about to say...

The CURRENT version of the ER4S in the UNITED STATES is the RED AND BLUE model with STRAIGHT cable (no braiding above the y-split).

The CURRENT version of the ER4S in EUROPE is the BLACK model with BRAIDED cable above the y-split.

They told me that anyone who orders them in the U.S. can request the black braided version of the ER4S and they will swap them for you or deliver that version if specified. However, the person I talked with wasn't aware of any plans to change this. They weren't aware of "selling off the last of the stock of red/blue" or anything like that. I'll ask Don, and they're going to let him know and see what he says about that part of it.

Otherwise, it seems like you essentially have a choice which you want if you specify one. But the red/blue model is the only current U.S. production model being sold in the U.S. This is all direct from Etymotic. So that explains why gnarlsagan got a pair swapped. They DID say the black braided cable reduces microphones a little (nothing drastic, but reduced). And they thought they were as durable as the red/blue model as well. So, basically, it sounds like the black ER4S with braided cable above the y-split is the way to go if you're buying them new or within your 30-day return period. I'm a bit far out having bought mine back in March. However, they STILL said I could buy the other version from them, if I like them pay $50 to exchange mine or if not return them for a refund. So, at least they gave me a decent alternative. I wouldn't expect to be able to do it this late anyway. I'm happy with my red/blue though. I like the look of them and they seem tough. The shirt clip almost completely reduces the microphonics, and without the clip the black version still has microphonics, so it isn't as if I wouldn't need the clip... So don't feel bad if you have the red/blue version. There isn't that much difference, and you get the "classic" look.
wink.gif
hehe

Anyway, hope this helps clear things up. You have some options, and in my experience they have been extremely great with customer service and very lenient. We should appreciate that and hopefully they'll gain more sales and make an ER4S v2 with sub bass improvement.
wink.gif
hahaha

I'll let you know if Don gets back to me with any more info.

Very interesting.  When I sent my ER-4P's in for service a couple months ago, what they sent back was the all-black model, with braiding, and I'm in the USA.  Personally, I very much would prefer my original ER-4P's I had 10 years ago, with the slightly rubberized cable, red and blue earpieces, and right angle plug.  I'm not a big fan of the all-black, with only the red dot to tell left from right.  Tough to see in low light.

Now, we are talking ER-4P for me, not ER-4S.

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #2,908 of 19,248

Decent player using the same WM8740 DAC as IBasso DX50. Has a hint of warmth and rather melodic sound signature. Without looking like I'm promoting eBay has a better description. I have no problems keeping IHIFI-760 next to players like my Studio V, DX50 and I think the line out is rather special. 

Thanks. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #2,909 of 19,248
Very interesting.  When I sent my ER-4P's in for service a couple months ago, what they sent back was the all-black model, with braiding, and I'm in the USA.  Personally, I very much would prefer my original ER-4P's I had 10 years ago, with the slightly rubberized cable, red and blue earpieces, and right angle plug.  I'm not a big fan of the all-black, with only the red dot to tell left from right.  Tough to see in low light.

Major fan of the retro cable myself, love everything about it and wouldn't want the cable any other way.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #2,910 of 19,248

Major fan of the retro cable myself, love everything about it and wouldn't want the cable any other way.

I love it. Durable, smooth, flexible. I prefer the look too personally..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back