If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #2,912 of 19,241
Hello there:

I am thinking about recabling my ER4S, early 90's version with non-twisted upper cables.

On Ebay, there are for sale some cable adapters from user "awwan ", which would allow me to plug in Shure replacement cables (http://www.ebay.com/itm/290630811020?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

I could buy them in P or S version.  I am considering buying the P version along with a ER4P to S resistor adapter, also from user "awaan" (http://www.ebay.com/itm/290372905689?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649)

If it were you, would you buy the ER4P cable adapters ($38) and the 4P to 4S resistor adapter ($18) so that you can switch from ER4P to ER4S, or would you simply get the ER4S cable adapters?

I want to buy some Shure version adapters, so I can use the custom Shure replacement cables from Fiio (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DB41AOW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2IBP7T03Z98P4&coliid=I3619FL1HPOUQM) ($30)

Any thoughts or comments? What are the advantages and disadvantages of switching to ER4P and using the P to S resistor adapter?
--  I will use the ER4 exclusively with my DX50 DAP, thus a disadvantage to me with using the P to S adapter is that the connection to the headphone out of the DX50 will be REALLY long and cumbersome when placed in a jacket pocket.
-- Any alternative recabling ideas for ER4 would be welcome.

Please advise.

Thanks from SF, CA

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #2,914 of 19,241
Hello there:

I am thinking about recabling my ER4S, early 90's version with non-twisted upper cables.

On Ebay, there are for sale some cable adapters from user "awwan ", which would allow me to plug in Shure replacement cables (http://www.ebay.com/itm/290630811020?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

I could buy them in P or S version.  I am considering buying the P version along with a ER4P to S resistor adapter, also from user "awaan" (http://www.ebay.com/itm/290372905689?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649)

If it were you, would you buy the ER4P cable adapters ($38) and the 4P to 4S resistor adapter ($18) so that you can switch from ER4P to ER4S, or would you simply get the ER4S cable adapters?

I want to buy some Shure version adapters, so I can use the custom Shure replacement cables from Fiio (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DB41AOW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2IBP7T03Z98P4&coliid=I3619FL1HPOUQM) ($30)

Any thoughts or comments? What are the advantages and disadvantages of switching to ER4P and using the P to S resistor adapter?
--  I will use the ER4 exclusively with my DX50 DAP, thus a disadvantage to me with using the P to S adapter is that the connection to the headphone out of the DX50 will be REALLY long and cumbersome when placed in a jacket pocket.
-- Any alternative recabling ideas for ER4 would be welcome.

Please advise.

Thanks from SF, CA

The er4s is superior, so I would never use the er4p. It's just the same earphone with worse treble accuracy. But it's louder on portable devices. I still would only use the er4s even without an amp. I DO! :p with an amp I see zero reason to ever use the p over the s.

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2,916 of 19,241
The er4s is superior, so I would never use the er4p. It's just the same earphone with worse treble accuracy. But it's louder on portable devices. I still would only use the er4s even without an amp. I DO! :p with an amp I see zero reason to ever use the p over the s.

+11

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #2,917 of 19,241

Many thanks Luis for the advice.

I ordered the S version cable adapter and the Fiio Shure replacement cables.

Now, for using ER4S + DX50, what would be the best portable amplifier?
-- Iwould prefer an amp with a coax input, so I can use the coax output of the DX50
-- However, I do not want a DAC/amp like the Ibasso D12, so although that has  coax inout, I will not choose that one.

I have heard that Tralucent T1 is great with ER4S/DX50 combo, but it does no have coax input
-- However, if the Tralucent T1 is the best, I will get it even if it does not have coax input.

Can anyone recommend a portable amp, preferably with coax input, but NOT DAC/amp combo, to use with ER4S /DX50?
price range: $300 or under

Many thanks again you all!

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #2,918 of 19,241
Huh?

Isn't the whole point of owning a DX50 to benefit from it's high quality WM8740 DAC circuit and built-in amp?

If you really insist on using it as a digital transport, then you will need to get a DAC and an amp, which if portable, will likely be no better than the DX50 you already own.

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2,920 of 19,241

-- Iwould prefer an amp with a coax input, so I can use the coax output of the DX50
-- However, I do not want a DAC/amp like the Ibasso D12, so although that has  coax inout, I will not choose that one.

I have heard that Tralucent T1 is great with ER4S/DX50 combo, but it does no have coax input
-- However, if the Tralucent T1 is the best, I will get it even if it does not have coax input.

Can anyone recommend a portable amp, preferably with coax input, but NOT DAC/amp combo, to use with ER4S /DX50?

No coax, but in terms of reference quality, I don't think the jds labs c5 can be beat at just under $200.

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #2,921 of 19,241

An amp will give you zero benefits over the DX50. You will be able to drive the ER4S loud enough to damage your hearing many times over. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #2,922 of 19,241
I've had an interesting night tonight with my earphones.  First, let me say that the er4s with the sansa players is a really awesome combo and probably sounds better than a lot of other devices even with amps.  However, tonight I have found without a doubt that the er4s sound better through my c5.

For those following this thread, you might remember me talking a while back about not being able to tell why, but thinking the bass was better under certain circumstances.  Those circumstances are the c5 by jds labs, no question.

I listened to some things for a while with the c5 and then listed without them.  I did this with both my er4s and my pfe112.  I found two things.  First, the c5 definitely improves both earphones about equally.  And second, the er4s is a lot better than the pfe112. :p  haha  Don't get me wrong, the pfe112 is still my second favorite earphone, hands down.  However, I've noticed a few things in this testing that have caused me to think even more highly of the er4s.

To start, the main differences between the fuze/clip/zip and the c5 even with those double amped, is are following:
- Clearer sounding overall.  Not to be confused with bright treble.  The frequency response is identical with either setup.  However, I can "clearly" hear a more distinct and sort of crisp dynamic sound using the c5.  This is true direct from my audio interface into the c5 and even double amping the sansa players.
- Tighter sound, especially in the bass.  In fact, with the pfe112 I can't even get the same bass level/quality without the c5.  For instance, if I boost the sub bass around 20-50hz by something ridiculous like 15db, the sansa player stops really showing any difference after say 8db.  When I use the same eq with the c5 the bass, although still not noticeably bassier, does indeed show improved bass level and impact versus the sansa alone.  Not a huge difference, but noticeable.  I think this might be partly due to the fact that the pfe112 eq is much more complex with more ups and downs than the er4s eq.  Perhaps another driver would help this.  Either way, the same isn't as true with the er4s for some reason.  The sansa players seem to power the bass pretty well unamped.  However, the er4s requires very few and very little eq changes.  The main difference with the er4s using the c5 is the improved clarity and dimensionality.  Things stand out more and seem more present and spacious.  You hear into the sound more, which is really impressive, as the er4s is already the most depth I've heard in an earphone.

Again, the differences are small, but tonight I found they are definitely there and easy to hear with certain music and listening.  In fact, I think I'm going to start using my c5 all the time, even with my sansa players portably.  At least for a while to see if the difference matters enough for me portably.  Just thought I'd post that in case anyone was interested with all this amp talk going around. :)  So, while the sansa/er4s gives you, say, 93% awesome, the c5 brings it up to 98% awesome. :)  :wink:  haha

Oct 16, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #2,923 of 19,241
I've had an interesting night tonight with my earphones.  First, let me say that the er4s with the sansa players is a really awesome combo and probably sounds better than a lot of other devices even with amps.  However, tonight I have found without a doubt that the er4s sound better through my c5.

For those following this thread, you might remember me talking a while back about not being able to tell why, but thinking the bass was better under certain circumstances.  Those circumstances are the c5 by jds labs, no question.

I listened to some things for a while with the c5 and then listed without them.  I did this with both my er4s and my pfe112.  I found two things.  First, the c5 definitely improves both earphones about equally.  And second, the er4s is a lot better than the pfe112. :p  haha  Don't get me wrong, the pfe112 is still my second favorite earphone, hands down.  However, I've noticed a few things in this testing that have caused me to think even more highly of the er4s.

To start, the main differences between the fuze/clip/zip and the c5 even with those double amped, is are following:
- Clearer sounding overall.  Not to be confused with bright treble.  The frequency response is identical with either setup.  However, I can "clearly" hear a more distinct and sort of crisp dynamic sound using the c5.  This is true direct from my audio interface into the c5 and even double amping the sansa players.
- Tighter sound, especially in the bass.  In fact, with the pfe112 I can't even get the same bass level/quality without the c5.  For instance, if I boost the sub bass around 20-50hz by something ridiculous like 15db, the sansa player stops really showing any difference after say 8db.  When I use the same eq with the c5 the bass, although still not noticeably bassier, does indeed show improved bass level and impact versus the sansa alone.  Not a huge difference, but noticeable.  I think this might be partly due to the fact that the pfe112 eq is much more complex with more ups and downs than the er4s eq.  Perhaps another driver would help this.  Either way, the same isn't as true with the er4s for some reason.  The sansa players seem to power the bass pretty well unamped.  However, the er4s requires very few and very little eq changes.  The main difference with the er4s using the c5 is the improved clarity and dimensionality.  Things stand out more and seem more present and spacious.  You hear into the sound more, which is really impressive, as the er4s is already the most depth I've heard in an earphone.

Again, the differences are small, but tonight I found they are definitely there and easy to hear with certain music and listening.  In fact, I think I'm going to start using my c5 all the time, even with my sansa players portably.  At least for a while to see if the difference matters enough for me portably.  Just thought I'd post that in case anyone was interested with all this amp talk going around. :)  So, while the sansa/er4s gives you, say, 93% awesome, the c5 brings it up to 98% awesome. :)  :wink:  haha

Man you're really messing with my emotions lol. I'm thinking tomorrow will commence another epic a/b session with the fuze against the leckerton. I pretty sure I can't hear any differences though. Maybe you can point out a track and some characteristics to look for.

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #2,924 of 19,241
Of all the IEM's I've tried/owned I find ER4S sound very "similar" across most of my sources, even Sansa Clip (which drives them well) can be a head scratcher when compared to Studio V with Etys. What I mean is night and day effect usually found with other IEMs and various sources is not so obvious, almost like ER4S have one straight sound and display that straight line wherever you plug them in. The areas that give away to me though are soundstage width and instrument separation, I can hear the width and depth alter and metronome like separation Studio V has, I might also need a certain track to pick it. Also, what helps after owning a particular source for a while you can pin down tonality and timbre that source displays. I would lean towards saying I'd have a hard time guessing ER4S in a blind test with my different players. I think I'd be able to hear changes although guessing which player it was, might not be so easy. Quite a strange IEM, ER4S......  

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #2,925 of 19,241
I've been reading that the new Fostex dynamic universal is very neutral, at least as it is currently configured in the demo for canjam; and supposedly much better than the re400. I think I read it's going to be $100, so I'll definitely have to check it out when it is released and compare to the ER-4S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back