If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #872 of 19,246
I have re-discovered these little guys for classical and am absolutely in love with them for that genre. The clarity and separation just amazes me. And they are so dynamic. I don't use them much for anything else. Maybe some Jazz here and there. But, They are my favorite for classical.

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #874 of 19,246
Hello all :)

Sometimes ago, i recabled my er4p with some silver dragon cables and 27ohm resistor for each channel

after i listened to the recabled er4, i think the sound is a little 'off'. the bass is not quite there..

anyone know what resistor value is used in er4p? or does it have anything to do with the filter? I bought my er4p used and it didn't come with the filter

Looking forward to some enlightenment here :)

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #875 of 19,246
Quote:
I have re-discovered these little guys for classical and am absolutely in love with them for that genre. The clarity and separation just amazes me. And they are so dynamic. I don't use them much for anything else. Maybe some Jazz here and there. But, They are my favorite for classical.

Yeah, I was the same way with my ER4. They are worth having for their classical performance alone.

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #876 of 19,246
Those who like the ER4 for classical music have done any comparison with the EX1000? Also I would like to hear from those who has paired the ER4 with the iPod 5g for classical music. Thanks

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #877 of 19,246
You know what, I listen to a lot of commentaries and voice-overs, especially on Youtube; and I'm always delighted by how faithful what I hear really is. Before, with the sm3 and gr07, I always heard vocals as very chesty, or throaty, than what I would ever hear from people speaking to me. If you listen to Tay Zonday through the Etys, his voice still sounds incredibly (and almost abnormally) deep. With sm3, or gr07, he sounds like a walking talking subwoofer.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #878 of 19,246
For all er 4 p lover , please try your er 4 p with new dap from Astell and kern ak 100 standard or RWA AK 100 mod directly

These are excellent combo , the best synergies I ever heard with my er 4 p

Cheers

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #879 of 19,246
anyone use comply foam 100 series for their etys? I find medium size ok and am pondering ordering large. I know you can go multi pack
but I would rather take a chance and sell the 2 other pairs if they're too large. Large complys are same width at end as the large standard
faomies you get with ety iems. But that foam is nasty and itchy. 

Anyone here have experience going up from medium to large? i find the mediums get too squishy after month+ use and are less isolating. 

amazing tips in all. so comfortable. and washable :) 

P.S I only had my er4s at home for 2 weeks solid and then came back to use my HD650s again. I think im finally done with their
warm (which is nice) sound as i just crave the accuracy and tonality of the etys. Oops now ill have to get HD800s! (like that will 
happen anytime soon:p)

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #880 of 19,246
Quote:
anyone use comply foam 100 series for their etys? I find medium size ok and am pondering ordering large. I know you can go multi pack
but I would rather take a chance and sell the 2 other pairs if they're too large. Large complys are same width at end as the large standard
faomies you get with ety iems. But that foam is nasty and itchy. 

Anyone here have experience going up from medium to large? i find the mediums get too squishy after month+ use and are less isolating. 

ofc it would depend on your ears, but i'd rather use the medium on my er4 as i find it easier to go deep.
i use the large one only on intra that have no extra room for insertion. so i can get a good seal even if the intra can't go deep.
else i stand with normal. the extra foam of the big one can sometimes collapse on itself in my ear and mutter the sound.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #881 of 19,246
I keep returning to this thread because I don't think I have purchased another audio component that has given me anywhere near the reliability and satisfaction as the ER4S (maybe the NS10M?)! It was the first high end IEM I lusted after when I was poor; the blue and red terminated tubular simplicity appealed to my aesthetic sensibilities! And it is the one IEM I return to most often. I am surprised by them daily and am happy to own a pair.

I was thinking about this today whilst listening to Flying Lotus's new album (well worth a buy)! I realized what a privilege it is to own these earphones that I once could not afford and how truly content I am with them, they were made in 2004 and, through familiarity, sound so much better than the day I bought them! I was thinking also how much money I have squandered on this ridiculous hamster wheel, buying absurdly priced, multi-armature CIEM'S that purported to be the best! And whilst they were better in some areas it was always at the expense of neutrality and they never scaled or EQ'd as well as the ER4S. I also realized today that the new customs I have just blown loads of money on, I just don't want, or need and that whilst I enjoy head-fi it promotes too vociferously that there is always something better to spend your money on! I think my ideal portable rig cost well under £200 but money I have spent reaching this conclusion...
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back