If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 28, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #842 of 19,251
Quite a statement... you should do some ABX to prove it.
Quote:
256 makes my ears bleed. Most people say they can't tell the difference, but I guess I just have sensitive ears.

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #843 of 19,251
Quote:
I'm very interested in the etymotic ER-4 becasue I'm looking for an IEM with a lot of isolation, clarity, resolution, and treble quantity. There's one thing that worries me though, I will be using my IEMs for portable use and most of my music is from itunes. Since the ER-4 is known to be very unforgiving, will it make my music sound bad? Is it worth getting the ER-4 if I will be listening to itunes songs? 

"If it sounds good, it is good!"

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #844 of 19,251
I'm still having problems with these right angle adapters. Something sounds off with the sound. Could the adapters be affecting the sound in any way versus the stock cable? They are the "S" adapters with a UE cable.

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #845 of 19,251
Mark, yes and no. I still enjoy mine with mp3s, etc. But badly recorded music with "etched" treble can be a bit rough. Still worth listening to however.

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #847 of 19,251
Quote:
I'm still having problems with these right angle adapters. Something sounds off with the sound. Could the adapters be affecting the sound in any way versus the stock cable? They are the "S" adapters with a UE cable.

TBH i didn't get what difference there was between the P and S version. the plugs are the same the intra is the same, the only different on the original er4P and er4S is the cable right?
so i wondered if the S adapter was including the added impedance so a S stays a S when you change the cable instead of becoming a P.
that is just a wild guess, you should ask awwan

about the mp3 thing, i could never make any difference between 320cbr and flac. some dap seem to make a difference but telling if it is from the file or from the way the dap deals with mp3 and flac files? if you re ok with something keep it.

128k can be really nasty. i had very few of them hiding between flac files a friend gave me.  and did a stupid encoding batch of the directory turning them all into marvelous 320kbps....
one by one i ended up deleting those files not knowing it was 128k and not even knowing the artist, just finding them ugly and putting the blame on the engineer who did the master ^_^ .
the light came to me weeks later when i reopened the original directory.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #848 of 19,251
Hi everybody,

I posted my first review a few days ago comparing the Hf5 with the Grado iGi. Perhaps some here will enjoy it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643342/my-first-review-etymotic-research-hf5-vs-grado-igi#post_8999406

Also, I'm looking to step up from the Hf5. I would like something on the analytical side and am highly considering the ER4. However, nobody here in Portland carries them, so I can't try them on.

I did try on some Grado GR8's, but found the headstage to be narrow and the mids to be too flat. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the Sennheiser IE60's that I tried on.

Budget is $400. Here is my list right now:

ER4 
Sennheiser IE60
Rockit R-50

Thanks for the help, and enjoy the review!

-sheldon

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #849 of 19,251
The ER4 is a natural upgrade, although you may find it a touch brighter. A lot of people found the R-50's great, I need to buy them again just to see if I was biased at the time.

Other considerations would be:

Hifiman RE-272
Heir Audio Tzar 350

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #850 of 19,251
Quote:
The ER4 is a natural upgrade, although you may find it a touch brighter. A lot of people found the R-50's great, I need to buy them again just to see if I was biased at the time.

Other considerations would be:

Hifiman RE-272
Heir Audio Tzar 350

Of the RE-272 and the Tzar 350 I would by far recommend the Tzar. I did never liked the RE-272 that much. I found it to have less resolution and to be to dark - coming directly from the ER-4S that is. The Tzar in the other hand might be the best and most impressive sounding IEM I have ever heard. Even though it was a short listen but still enough to make me want it. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #851 of 19,251
I just ordered an ER-4S. I have the HF5 and I figured the ER-4P would be too similar (looking at frequency response curves), so I decided to go all out and get the ER-4S.

Can a Sansa Clip+ power it to reasonable listening levels?

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #852 of 19,251
Quote:
Of the RE-272 and the Tzar 350 I would by far recommend the Tzar. I did never liked the RE-272 that much. I found it to have less resolution and to be to dark - coming directly from the ER-4S that is. The Tzar in the other hand might be the best and most impressive sounding IEM I have ever heard. Even though it was a short listen but still enough to make me want it. 

I'm finding several less-than-amazing reviews of the RE-272's, so I'm going to rule those out for now. The Tzar 350's have my attention, but are 2-3 times the price as many of the other options I'm considering. 

It seems like there are many great options under $200, which means I can get TWO pair (I'm spoiling myself rotten, I know). Since I don't have much experience, it seems like a good idea to get something on the analytical side AND something for more general-purpose listening (warmer, smoother). 

Here are my new lists (in no particular order):

Analytical/Reference:

ER4
Rockit R-50
GR07
GR01

General Purpose:

BA200
IE60
Image X5

Any thoughts appreciated!

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #854 of 19,251
Quote:

I'm finding several less-than-amazing reviews of the RE-272's, so I'm going to rule those out for now. The Tzar 350's have my attention, but are 2-3 times the price as many of the other options I'm considering. 

It seems like there are many great options under $200, which means I can get TWO pair (I'm spoiling myself rotten, I know). Since I don't have much experience, it seems like a good idea to get something on the analytical side AND something for more general-purpose listening (warmer, smoother). 

Here are my new lists (in no particular order):

Analytical/Reference:

ER4
Rockit R-50
GR07
GR01

General Purpose:

BA200
IE60
Image X5

Any thoughts appreciated!

I had the GR07, and I don't find it analytical. It's actually dark in comparison to ER4S, and more sibilant. It's dry in terms of decay, like the ER-4S, but perhaps ER-4S is a little drier.

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #855 of 19,251
Quote:
I just ordered an ER-4S. I have the HF5 and I figured the ER-4P would be too similar (looking at frequency response curves), so I decided to go all out and get the ER-4S.

Can a Sansa Clip+ power it to reasonable listening levels?

Yes, absolutely, too ear damaging volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back