If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #856 of 19,251
Figured out my issue with the adapters wasn't an adapter issue at all but a tip issue. Was using some foams and they weren't sitting right and the imaging was a bit off. So I cut the end flange off of the triple flanges and it is so perfect. The fit is so deep I changed back to the stock cable without the adapters, and over the ear works great.

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #857 of 19,251
Quote:
Figured out my issue with the adapters wasn't an adapter issue at all but a tip issue. Was using some foams and they weren't sitting right and the imaging was a bit off. So I cut the end flange off of the triple flanges and it is so perfect. The fit is so deep I changed back to the stock cable without the adapters, and over the ear works great.

That's exactly what I did two days after I received my ER-4S (from you). But I even went as far as cut off the other protruding end. The result is the nozzle extends right through the entire tip! I'll take some pictures today. It allows for a fit so deep, and allows you to wrap the wire over the ear, which eliminates something like 90% of the microphonics. Also, the flangies slowly shapes to the contour of your inner and outer ear; the result - you get a seal without even trying!

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #858 of 19,251
Quote:
That's exactly what I did two days after I received my ER-4S (from you). But I even went as far as cut off the other protruding end. The result is the nozzle extends right through the entire tip! I'll take some pictures today. It allows for a fit so deep, and allows you to wrap the wire over the ear, which eliminates something like 90% of the microphonics. Also, the flangies slowly shapes to the contour of your inner and outer ear; the result - you get a seal without even trying!

Are you and gnarlsagan doing this with the large gray Etymotic tri-flange tips? I use these regularly but ever since they decreased the size I am having difficulty maintaining a good seal.

-sheldon

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #860 of 19,251
Yeah tigon we're on the same page here. Mine look exactly like that. I did add one little tweak though. I'll upload a pic shortly.

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #861 of 19,251
A little black twisty tie allows for an even better over-the-ear fit. Now I can wear these to the gym and pretty much wherever. For at home listening though, this is totally unnecessary. It's pretty apparent I struggled with the connectors a bit. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #862 of 19,251
Quote:
A little black twisty tie allows for an even better over-the-ear fit. Now I can wear these to the gym and pretty much wherever. For at home listening though, this is totally unnecessary. It's pretty apparent I struggled with the connectors a bit. 

That twisty tie mod is just genius! I'm going to steal it.
beerchug.gif

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #863 of 19,251
That twisty tie mod is just genius! I'm going to steal it. :beerchug:

Thanks!

Also ADD if you're still following is thread, I finally listened to that classical piece you posted. I didn't hear any kind of distortion you were describing at any volume. You're right, it was probably a faulty pair.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #864 of 19,251
those er4 have been gnarled!
biggrin.gif

funny how we all tend to go in the same direction. i also cut the triflange on my first pair ^_^. now i can't stand flange at all for some reason (getting old?)
anyway we all clearly see something about the cable that the etymotic dudes didn't.

here's mine atm:

but i'll have to try your clever modding with the original cable if only to see if the microphonics get any better.

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #865 of 19,251
those er4 have been gnarled!:D

funny how we all tend to go in the same direction. i also cut the triflange on my first pair ^_^. now i can't stand flange at all for some reason (getting old?)
anyway we all clearly see something about the cable that the etymotic dudes didn't.

here's mine atm:

but i'll have to try your clever modding with the original cable if only to see if the microphonics get any better.

Is that a westone cable? I have the UE cable but ear guides + glasses don't mix. I'd have to cut it like yours.

Microphonics are very low on the stock cable with this mod.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #866 of 19,251
i bought the cable from earsonic but i'd be hard pressed to find any physical difference with the westone replacement cable.
i did the wire massacre with those small curved scissors for nails. in the end i did a mess but it's not hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back