If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 13, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #811 of 19,254
Ah okay thanks for clarifying. I'll still check it out to see if I can reproduce the issue. If not maybe you'll consider giving the ER4S another shot?

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #812 of 19,254
Quote:
EDIT: That's very strange. I felt no difference going from foam to flange. Tips shouldn't affect phase coherence. It should only affect isolation and frequency response.

Keep in mind, though, I modded the stock foams, because I did not like the stock foam's sound. I thought it was a bit too strident. So, I sliced them each in half. I liked the mod, but the fact still stands that foams deform too easily.

ADD: My biflanges are also modded from triflanges. I posted about them above.

My only real concern with the grey foam is that after about 20-odd insertions, it is not filling the ear canal as well as it did when new. Yesterday, I noticed definite audible degradation after having used the tips for just 6 days - the fit was now noticeably lose, the IEM stuck out more than it did before and the end could be very easily wiggled around - when the tip was new the IEM had a nice, firm fit and was much harder to move around. It would be interesting to try the yellow foamies as the extra width might make them do their job significantly longer. The only caveat would likey be whether they could still be inserted deeply enough having been rolled (squashed) first and whether they were uncomfortable.  

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #814 of 19,254
Quote:
Since I can't return the tri-flange tips (having used them), I tried the cutting trick and it is definitely better than the stock tip. However I still have the issue with the sonic effects of the non-foam tips supplied by Etymotic - it is hard to describe but the sound seems to lose some coherence, delicacy and top end air - the efect is very similar to what I notice whenever I listen to an IEM which has two or more drivers. To me the foam really sounds very good indeed. So I have condenmed myself to the foamies unless the Comply tips do not have the sonic issues that I find with the silicon tips or the Glider tips.

Incidentally, I remember in my Westone UM2 days, the Comply tips did not have a long useful life either. I guess there is a price to pay for both comfort and sonics.

Get some small-size Shure olive tips, slide them halfway into your brain and buy some Q-tips to use after showering..

Then never look back.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #815 of 19,254
Hello there!

I'm realy interested in Etymotic ER-4S.
My Rig is Teclast T51 + Corda 2Stepdance amp and my only IEM's are Triple.fi 10's

Corda 2Stepdance amp offers a low/high current mode switch (20 / 35mA)

With the very sensitive 117dB/mW 32ohm Triple.fi 10 I use the low (20mA) mode for enjoyable listening at about 2/3 volume level.

How would it be with the 100ohm 90dB ER-4S ?

Would the ER-4S be compatible with the Corda 2Stepdance?

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #817 of 19,254
Since I got the Triple.fi 10, my other two headphones (Sennheiser HD515 and iGrado) are lying on a shelf for several years now.

Hope, I'll love the ER-4S even more.

I remember how the ER6i sounded like right from my old Cowon iAudio7. Back then I didn't have an Amp.

Anyone,
How would You compare ER6i and ER-4S?

Thanks, again!

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #818 of 19,254
Quote:
Hello there!

My Rig is Teclast T51 + Corda 2Stepdance amp and my only IEM's are Triple.fi 10's

With the very sensitive 117dB/mW 32ohm Triple.fi 10 I use the low (20mA) mode for enjoyable listening at about 2/3 volume level.

How would it be with the 100ohm 90dB ER-4S ?

Thanks!

Better first make sure that your taste in headphones is towards neutrality and sheer accuracy. Also, look into RE272, F111, and Tzar 350 for alternatives.

I haven't heard those three, but the ER-4S is wonderful at what it does.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #819 of 19,254
Quote:
Since I got the Triple.fi 10, my other two headphones (Sennheiser HD515 and iGrado) are lying on a shelf for several years now.

Hope, I'll love the ER-4S even more.

I remember how the ER6i sounded like right from my old Cowon iAudio7. Back then I didn't have an Amp.

Anyone,
How would You compare ER6i and ER-4S?

Thanks, again!

I dont own any other etymotics than ER-4S. I own 4 other IEM/headphones that cost 4/5 times more than ER4S and despite all that ER4S is my most loved on among them all. It is most suitable for bass heavy music, excluding electronic music genre it is suitable for all the other music types. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #820 of 19,254
Quote:

The ER-4S sounds great with 2Stepdance (Quickstep). I used to have RSA P-51 Mustang and iQube but the Quickstep drives the ER-4S much better than the other two. So those two together sounds very good. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #825 of 19,254
I joined head-fi in 2001. At the time, I had a pair of Senn HD580's, Koss Porta-Pro & Grado SR60's...I rounded out my little collection with JMT Altoids, Porta Corda & Total BitHead amps. At the time, Ety's were the only IEM people talked about. They were the best of the best. So, when the time came to spring for IEM's, I of course had to have the Ety's. Over the course of the next decade, life continued, I bought the occasional blu-ray player, a cable upgrade here and there, an iRiver player, a few sansa clips, etc., etc..I traveled the world and without question, the Ety's have been at my side (and in my head) every day. I've changed the tips & the green filter a few times, and have never thought twice about replacing them with something else. As the years passed my visits to head-fi (once an obsession), tapered off some, to just the occasional glance once in a while. Fast forward to the end of 2012 & after a few glasses of wine, I got a hankering to get back into the game. I found an RSA SR71B for a good price on ebay, and got back into head-fi. As I scanned the forums, it felt like I had been in a coma....there was all this focus on dac's, and there were a million new really high end IEM's. I was blown away by David Mahler's  50+ headphone study, but was shocked that there was nary a mention of anything Ety. As I read more & more posts, it's as if Ety (& clou cables - unrelated, but another of my upgrades 10 years ago) didn't exist anymore. I went to the Ety website and was relieved to see they still existed. I feared that the new crop of IEM's were simply superior, and the Ety's had been rendered irrelevant. It's great to know that once the smoke had cleared from the hype machine, the Ety's still have a place among head-fiers, and that they still hold their own in the world of high end audio. Thanks for this thread, which made an old man feel a little less old....    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back