If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #901 of 19,251
Quote:
cool just did that mod. def hearing the intended effect. only worry for me would be dust getting on the now exposed bits. did you do ok on this? 

Cool! I enjoyed the HD650 much more after I did the mod.
It could be a problem if you do not take care and protect it. I never had any problems with dust or hair getting into the drivers though. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #902 of 19,251
i found putting the inner pads back in suited me better sound wise. just a tad less bright (subjectively speaking) 

thanks for tip! When I get Hd800s i plan to mess around with that mod tyll talks about also. 

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #903 of 19,251
For all etymotic er 4 Fans

Please try Your er 4 with standard Iriver AK 100
My IMO the best sounding SQ from my er 4 p that I ever heard to date compare to different dap player :D

Please share your impression here

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #905 of 19,251
Quote:
For all etymotic er 4 Fans
Please try Your er 4 with standard Iriver AK 100
My IMO the best sounding SQ from my er 4 p that I ever heard to date compare to different dap player
biggrin.gif

The higher the output impedance, the closer the ER4P will sound to the ER4S.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #908 of 19,251
Just put in the red dampers (thanks Inks) and the result is pretty cool: more bass (or less treble I should say) but not as big of a difference as I anticipated. I'd have to a/b with the stock tips again, but really the highs don't sound muffled at all like I was expecting. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #910 of 19,251
Quote:
Does anyone know what the distance from the spout of the ED driver to the acoustic damper is on the ER4? And the inner diameter of that sound tube?

The distance is considerable. The damper is right at the opening of the tube. The inner diameter is small, but standard size.

I've been using the ER4S without the filters for a while, now. Hearing no difference. o.o

I'll stick with filterless.

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #911 of 19,251
Quote:
Yea, listening to any headphone with even the slightest bass bump becomes so obvious, now. Once you've come to truly appreciate accuracy, there's no turning back.

HD650's are terribly veiled, btw. Not a good ref point for anything, except the laid-back, thick sound type of sound. I somewhat liken them to SM3's... yuck...

Get a better amp, then we'll talk.

The distance is considerable. The damper is right at the opening of the tube. The inner diameter is small, but standard size.

I've been using the ER4S without the filters for a while, now. Hearing no difference. o.o

I'll stick with filterless.

If filters don't detract from the sound, wouldn't it make sense to use them to protect your drivers from wax, dust and crap?

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #912 of 19,251
Quick question for ya's...What is it that actually determines the difference between.ER4P V ER4S  Drivers or Cable?
I have the P version that came with the adapter to make it S.......Is this how the real S sounds? should i just buy another ER4 but S? 

PS ... Had to have a chuckle over the filters...........As you guys will no doubt with my question......
size]

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #913 of 19,251
Difference is only in the cable, and that the ER4S drivers are matched to closer tolerances (I believe). The P->S adapter will make a P sound like an S.
Quote:
Quick question for ya's...What is it that actually determines the difference between.ER4P V ER4S  Drivers or Cable?
I have the P version that came with the adapter to make it S.......Is this how the real S sounds? should i just buy another ER4 but S? 

PS ... Had to have a chuckle over the filters...........As you guys will no doubt with my question......
size]

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #915 of 19,251
Quote:
If filters don't detract from the sound, wouldn't it make sense to use them to protect your drivers from wax, dust and crap?

I'm also not using the expensive filters, since their only purpose it to do just what you say, block wax/dust/crap from entering the nozzle.  SO, I improvise:  I stole an old pair of my wife's hose, cut small square pieces off, lay the piece of fabric inside the eartip over the hole, and insert the ER-4 nozzle into the tip, letting the bit of hose wrap over the nozzle.  I change them about once a month or so, depending on how much I'm listening to them.  

BTW, I use the stock gray-ish 3-flange tips -- I've been using the same tips for over a year now (yes I clean them periodically with hot water) and they are super-soft and really conform to the inside of my ears for super isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back